The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BigTraderBoi
Is anyone here at university? If so, are you a member of the univerisity's Islamic society? I will be starting soon.

Most people are. The Isocs at uni are pretty neat. Well worth the sign up!

What you studying?
Original post by IdeasForLife
Most people are. The Isocs at uni are pretty neat. Well worth the sign up!

What you studying?

I will be studying BSc maths and economics! How about you?
What do you do in an ISOC? Is it basically like a prayer group? I don't understand what happens at one.
(edited 7 years ago)
What do you do in an ISOC? Is it basically like a prayer group? I don't understand what happens at one.

Ooo vnice.

The Isoc that I went to held events such as talks given by Shaykhs, going for meals, go karting, bowling, farmingo land trips etc... It also managed to make a prayer area on campus where Muslims could go read salah 5x a day, they also made a mini islamic library where people could loan books from. The Isoc also runs Islamic classes on a weekly basis. During Ramadan, the Isoc (in conjuntion with other Muslim societies e.g. Malaysian soc... and people, provided food for iftar time). They also have a neat Isoc membership card which gives discounts at a number of takeaways and other companies (e.g. car rental).

I'd imagine your Isoc will do similar things.
(edited 7 years ago)

There are sometimes halaqat where you can learn about various topics/listen to Islamic reminders, tajweed lessons, dawah stalls, raising money for charity, meals together etc :smile: The brothers I met at my Islamic society were brilliant Alhamdulillah, and generally joining your ISOC is a really good way to refocus your life on getting closer to Allah; I would warn you that if you do not have the enthusiasm to join them at the start of this year, you are unlikely to want to join them later because psychologically, you will already be trapped in the student lifestyle, your select group of friends etc, so make use of eagerness and inquisitivenessas a new student whilst you can :beard:

Original post by HAnwar
If I lived in a Muslim country then yeah, I would like to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by h333
Currently, I don't wear it. Not sure about the future, it all depends. If I can then I will feel blessed. If it was back home I would, it is much easier.

What do you think is your main concern regarding wearing it in the UK as opposed to in a Muslim majority country? :holmes:
Food for thought:

Do not judge the alcohol or drug taker when you yourself are addicted to the intoxication of sleep during Fajr time..
Reply 2585
Assalam alaikum everyone

Wa'alaykum Assalaam :smile:

Original post by Zamestaneh
There are sometimes halaqat where you can learn about various topics/listen to Islamic reminders, tajweed lessons, dawah stalls, raising money for charity, meals together etc :smile: The brothers I met at my Islamic society were brilliant Alhamdulillah, and generally joining your ISOC is a really good way to refocus your life on getting closer to Allah; I would warn you that if you do not have the enthusiasm to join them at the start of this year, you are unlikely to want to join them later because psychologically, you will already be trapped in the student lifestyle, your select group of friends etc, so make use of eagerness and inquisitivenessas a new student whilst you can :beard:

What do you think is your main concern regarding wearing it in the UK as opposed to in a Muslim majority country? :holmes:

Main concern is that you may not be able to wear it most of the time, if in education, work etc I actually have no experience wearing it in the UK tbh as I have worn just the hijab.

Pretty much what h333 said. If I wear it, I want to keep it on all the time, not take it off for security reasons and whatnot. I wanna wear it properly like I wear headscarf + abaya.

Also bit worried about wearing it since I know someone who got attacked with niqab, so that's kinda worrying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooo vnice.

The Isoc that I went to held events such as talks given by Shaykhs, going for meals, go karting, bowling, farmingo land trips etc... It also managed to make a prayer area on campus where Muslims could go read salah 5x a day, they also made a mini islamic library where people could loan books from. The Isoc also runs Islamic classes on a weekly basis. During Ramadan, the Isoc (in conjuntion with other Muslim societies e.g. Malaysian soc... and people, provided food for iftar time). They also have a neat Isoc membership card which gives discounts at a number of takeaways and other companies (e.g. car rental).

I'd imagine your Isoc will do similar things.

Jazak Allah khayr
Reply 2588
Original post by Inzamam99
Been hearing voices in my head.

God's been telling me to sacrifice my brother and sister to please him.

Should I do it in the hope he stops me or get myself to a doctor?

Why do I feel like this is a troll?
Original post by h333
Why do I feel like this is a troll?

Ex-muslim troll.
It's not really.

I am still a pretty ardent defender of various causes close to the hearts of Muslims (Palestine etc.) both online and outside.

But after some extremely intensive research and soul searching, I have found the religion is simply non-sensical.

It is exactly like any other major religion- based on myth with institutions initially created to establish control over the populace through a symbiosis with the state.

It's a pity many intelligent and well versed people would rather shut their minds and fool themselves rather than having the courage to look deeper.

What was the point of your previous post? To mock? Petty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2591
It's not really.

I am still a pretty ardent defender of various causes close to the hearts of Muslims (Palestine etc.) both online and outside.

But after some extremely intensive research and soul searching, I have found the religion is simply non-sensical.

It is exactly like any other major religion- based on myth with institutions initially created to establish control over the populace through a symbiosis with the state.

It's a pity many intelligent and well versed people would rather shut their minds and fool themselves rather than having the courage to look deeper.

I don't understand you at all. If you don't believe in a religion then why did you even mention anything to do with God in your first post? Basically, you was mocking a religion (Islam in this case). You could have just got to the point and said you don't believe in religion, God.

Oh don't you worry, I am not fooling myself by following Islam for sure :smile:
Reply 2592
Ex-muslim troll.

May Allah guide him and keep us on the straight path. Ameen.
Original post by h333

Ameen!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h333

Ameen.
Reply 2595
Original post by 123teddy
donno how to pray to god in islamic style

:erm: are you a Christian? Why do you want to know the Islamic way?
i am a muslim , i just forgot all the steps ... that is all ...i was looking for you know those small books which depicts the prayers and all ... but could not find it ..

did you know the thing in macca is actually a cube ? or am i tripping bawls ?
Reply 2597
Original post by 123teddy
i am a muslim , i just forgot all the steps ... that is all ...i was looking for you know those small books which depicts the prayers and all ... but could not find it ..

did you know the thing in macca is actually a cube ? or am i tripping bawls ?

:confused:
Original post by h333
:erm: are you a Christian? Why do you want to know the Islamic way?

You need to stop replying to trolls lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2599
Original post by HAnwar
You need to stop replying to trolls lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was hoping this one is not but :colonhash:

Latest

Trending

Trending