The Student Room Group

2017 Bristol medicine hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Do you know any other unis that don't like reapplicants?
I'm thinking of Bristol UEA Leicester and either Liverpool or Southampton
Original post by swopnil
Right, I think Bristol is fine with that (hopefully), I can't see it mentioned anywhere in their website and I also remember some re-applicants last year just like me.

Re-applicants are very welcome at Bristol.
Original post by BadLashes
your AABB may let you down . Last year in my school only those who got AAAA at AS got interview. But that may have been a coincidence

sorry i know this was in reply to someone else, but I got AABB, but i didn't think that Uni's looked at AS grades anymore? Do they? 0.0
Original post by rmpg
Hey, can anyone offer any advice on whether I'm likely to make interview?
GCSE: 6A* 4* 1B UKAT: 623 avg (VR 570 AR 630 QR 680, SJT Band 1)AS: 4AA2 (predicted): A*A*A Any one got any idea whether it's smart to apply or if it would be a wasted application?

If you pass theA level and GCSE requirements, your PS will be read. If that scores high enough when combined with both your academic score and UKCAT, you will get an interview. It isnt as simple as 'are my grades good enough'.
Original post by PeterMJP
Do you know any other unis that don't like reapplicants?
I'm thinking of Bristol UEA Leicester and either Liverpool or Southampton

oh wow you're also a reapplicant and are applying for all of the same unis as me, although I was thinking about HYMS instead of southampton.
Original post by returnmigrant
Re-applicants are very welcome at Bristol.

Cooooooool!! I really like Bristol and I hope I'll get in this year. :smile:
Original post by rmpg
Hey, can anyone offer any advice on whether I'm likely to make interview?
GCSE: 6A* 4* 1BUKAT: 623 avg (VR 570 AR 630 QR 680, SJT Band 1)AS: 4AA2 (predicted): A*A*AAny one got any idea whether it's smart to apply or if it would be a wasted application?

Academics and UKCAT combined are 30%, PS being 70%.
I don't think your GCSE and UKCAT are too bad so if your PS is packed full of experiences and reflections and score really high then you can make up for it I think.
Original post by parawitch
oh wow you're also a reapplicant and are applying for all of the same unis as me, although I was thinking about HYMS instead of southampton.

Haha tbh I'm applying this year to my strengths unlike last year. Idk why I applied to HYMS as I hated the uni and I don't like the sound of PBL. They were the first to reject me😂
Reply 68
Original post by marsbar3007
sorry i know this was in reply to someone else, but I got AABB, but i didn't think that Uni's looked at AS grades anymore? Do they? 0.0

Most say they don't (including Bristol) but I just hope they don't unofficially look.
Original post by KayleyC
Most say they don't (including Bristol) but I just hope they don't unofficially look.

ah okay thanks ... yeah i'm a bit worried about that too :-/
I'm applying as a graduate and this is what admissions have said:

Graduates are welcome to apply for our five year Medicine course. Graduates are required to have a 2:1 or above in their degree and at least AAB at A-level including Chemistry at grade A and one other lab-based science subject at grade B or above. We also require the UKCAT.

I had asked about GCSE requirements for graduates but they didn't mention anything about this in their response. Does this mean there are none for grads and the 20% academics is instead A Levels (8%) and degree (12%)?
I have a (apparently) strong ps, 680 avg band 3 and predicted AAA but I'm worried that my GCSEs of 1A* 10 A's and 1B (chemistry) will let me down, can anyone advise?
Original post by Boo_Ayres13
I have a (apparently) strong ps, 680 avg band 3 and predicted AAA but I'm worried that my GCSEs of 1A* 10 A's and 1B (chemistry) will let me down, can anyone advise?

If you meet the academic entry requirements in full, and have written a sensible PS, then apply.

No-one here can tell you if you will definitely get an interview. Like everyone else, you will just have to apply.
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl

I had asked about GCSE requirements for graduates but they didn't mention anything about this in their response.

You have to meet the same GCSE requirements as school-leavers - you are doing the same course as them and already having a degree doesn't mean your maths skills, or whatever, are automatically okay (etc).
Original post by returnmigrant
You have to meet the same GCSE requirements as school-leavers - you are doing the same course as them and already having a degree doesn't mean your maths skills, or whatever, are automatically okay (etc).

I'm going to ring up on Monday as other universities look more at your degree classification and possibly A levels. I know for KCL my degree supersedes everything else, so just assumed Bristol was the same when admissions didn't mention it in their email about grad requirements.
Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 17.53.08.png

Has anyone else noticed that Bristol doesn't have the, "NOTE: The following admissions test may be required for entry on this course: UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT)" in UCAS choices.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by swopnil
Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 17.53.08.png

Has anyone else noticed that Bristol doesn't have the, "NOTE: The following admissions test may be required for entry on this course: UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT)" in UCAS choices.

Yes I have noticed that too! But Bristol have made it pretty clear that they are using the UKCAT.
Original post by marcobruni98
I got 1A* 7A 1B 1C for GCSE
got AAAA at AS
610 UKCAT :frown:
I'm probably not applying to Bristol because my GCSEs are really low but I think I will apply to medicine elsewhere where AS are more highly valued. I'm just going to try and get A*s next year and apply the year after (also with a better UKCAT)

you should try liverpool, they give A* and A the same number of points in their scoring systems and what subjects are you doing?
Original post by RichiePhoenix_
Yes I have noticed that too! But Bristol have made it pretty clear that they are using the UKCAT.

I know bristol requires the UKCAT but it's just sad and weird that UCAS haven't updated it yet!!
Reply 79
I'm thinking of applying to Bristol for 2017 entry.

I got 2010 in my UKCAT:
500 in VR
820 in AR
690 in QR
Band 2 in SJ

I've already completed my A levels with AAAB in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths respectively.

6 As, 2 A*s, 1 B & 1 C at GCSE.

Would this be alright for Bristol?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending