The Student Room Group

Really stuck can anyone give me any advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blessed107
oh so you applied for pre reg place after you finsihed 3rd year? Not after u complete ur course?

Yup, because you apply in the summer/autumn before you start working (July/August after you graduate).

and also what about your applicationdo you think secured your pre reg place and when did u do ur placement?

Answering the questions well. Did my placement this summer.
Reply 21
Original post by thegodofgod
Yup, because you apply in the summer/autumn before you start working (July/August after you graduate).

Answering the questions well. Did my placement

U know when u applied to do the placement this year was it competitive to get a place or was it first come first serve basis? And did they interview you? Also i have seen that GSK do a pre reg for pharmacist whereby u do 6 months in gsk and 6 months in hospital did u apply for this?
Hospital is a great way to go just make sure you secure a pre-reg role. My mum works as a hospital pharmacist and she loves it :smile:
Hi i am about to start my degree in pharmacy at durham university and was wondering how hard is it to get a job in hospital, because i really dont wanna get into community.
Thanks
[QUOTE="blessed107;67771432"]

Answering the questions well. Did my placement

U know when u applied to do the placement this year was it competitive to get a place or was it first come first serve basis? And did they interview you? Also i have seen that GSK do a pre reg for pharmacist whereby u do 6 months in gsk and 6 months in hospital did u apply for this?

Competitive - more than 400 applicants for 10 places. Yeah, from what I gathered, they interviewed about 50 applicants. No, I didn't apply for it - not interested in industry, but on my placement I met someone who did so.
Quit pharmacy and do medicine because you would have a greater chance of working in a hospital.
Reply 25
[QUOTE="thegodofgod;67773722"]

Competitive - more than 400 applicants for 10 places. Yeah, from what I gathered, they interviewed about 50 applicants. No, I didn't apply for it - not interested in industry, but on my placement I met someone who did so.

Whats the salary for pre reg in community and hospital
[QUOTE="blessed107;67789950"]

Hospital - bottom of band 5 (approx £22k for this coming year)

Community - varies largely with the employer but is usually around £18k
[QUOTE="blessed107;67789950"]

As above. But don't forget the wages are steadily dropping for community. I've seen adverts for community prereg for £16k. They must be looking for very desperate students.
Reply 28
[QUOTE="suitofgold;67797086"]

As above. But don't forget the wages are steadily dropping for community. I've seen adverts for community prereg for £16k. They must be looking for very desperate students.
yeah but starting salary got community is very good
Reply 29
[QUOTE="suitofgold;67797086"]

mate why are u so negative???? Are u even a pharmacist?
[QUOTE="blessed107;67797878"]
Original post by suitofgold
yeah but starting salary got community is very good

One of the companies I work for starts newly quals on 25k per yr. Which sounds ok. I was earning 26k in 1996. And 28k in 1997 for a 45 hr week.

Also, it will become harder to get a pre-reg anywhere. There are simply too many schools of pharmacy.
If I were you, switch and do that finance and economics you wanted to do if it's money you're after.
Read about supply and demand curves from A level economics, if the supply keeps increasing and the demand stays the same, what happens to the price (wages) ? !
Reply 31
[QUOTE="mrlittlebigman;67818072"]

One of the companies I work for starts newly quals on 25k per yr. Which sounds ok. I was earning 26k in 1996. And 28k in 1997 for a 45 hr week.

Also, it will become harder to get a pre-reg anywhere. There are simply too many schools of pharmacy.
If I were you, switch and do that finance and economics you wanted to do if it's money you're after.
Read about supply and demand curves from A level economics, if the supply keeps increasing and the demand stays the same, what happens to the price (wages) ? !

The reason i chose pharmacy over economics is because the uni i got the economic place is an average uni not russell group or top 30, so employmentwise it would be tough and thetr are much more economics grad then pharmacy grads becuase every uni has a econimics course whereas pharmacy has around 30 schools. Also i have never done anything business related in my life all my gcse and a levels have been sciences and i am good at science. The uni i got into for pharmacy is a top 5 uni and highly prestigious so even if i dont do pharmacy as a career after my degree i am able to get into finance jobs due to the fact that many finance jobs accept any degree, 60% of the grad jobs in all sectors accept any degree. So if i manage to get a first in phamracy from a top 5 russel group uni not only do i have a good back up and guarenteed phamracy job i can then pursue a finance job and will have a great chance of securing it as i have got a first or 2.1 from a top uni. This is why i have chosen this path.plus my parents work for the nhs and they are able to get into hospital and get enough exp for hospital pre reg and that way i will have a good chanceof becoming a hospital pharamcist, but stiĺ pursue a finanace job and in no way is a pharmacist a bad job its doing way better then most law grad, and economics grads at average unis
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE="blessed107;67818620"]
Original post by mrlittlebigman

The reason i chose pharmacy over economics is because the uni i got the economic place is an average uni not russell group or top 30, so employmentwise it would be tough and thetr are much more economics grad then pharmacy grads becuase every uni has a econimics course whereas pharmacy has around 30 schools. Also i have never done anything business related in my life all my gcse and a levels have been sciences and i am good at science. The uni i got into for pharmacy is a top 5 uni and highly prestigious so even if i dont do pharmacy as a career after my degree i am able to get into finance jobs due to the fact that many finance jobs accept any degree, 60% of the grad jobs in all sectors accept any degree. So if i manage to get a first in phamracy from a top 5 russel group uni not only do i have a good back up and guarenteed phamracy job i can then pursue a finance job and will have a great chance of securing it as i have got a first or 2.1 from a top uni. This is why i have chosen this path.plus my parents work for the nhs and they are able to get into hospital and get enough exp for hospital pre reg and that way i will have a good chanceof becoming a hospital pharamcist, but stiĺ pursue a finanace job and in no way is a pharmacist a bad job its doing way better then most law grad, and economics grads at average unis

Can't you switch to an economics/finance/business degree at Durham? Pharmacy is going to be a long 4 years if you're only doing it because of the Uni reputation. Have a look/search on the Chemist and Druggist website, there was a guy on there earlier this year or last yr who has left pharmacy for banking, maybe they can put you in touch with him for advice?

update!!
Bing 'chemist and druggist leaving for banking' then read article titled 'A change in career direction' he is called Ranveer Bassey
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
[QUOTE="mrlittlebigman;67826000"]

Can't you switch to an economics/finance/business degree at Durham? Pharmacy is going to be a long 4 years if you're only doing it because of the Uni reputation. Have a look/search on the Chemist and Druggist website, there was a guy on there earlier this year or last yr who has left pharmacy for banking, maybe they can put you in touch with him for advice?

update!!
Bing 'chemist and druggist leaving for banking' then read article titled 'A change in career direction' he is called Ranveer Bassey

Yeah i will try to change if its possible if not its not a big deal i could use my pharmacy degree to become a clinical research assoicate like my family relative. If not i could do what the guy in the above mentioned article did and get into banming.thanks for the advice .like it says in the article "most employers dont care what degree you have and the fact that he doesnt have a level maths and still has a career in banking makes me more confident of securing a career in banking. Thanks for the advice anyways i totally understand where ur coming from
If you don't want to do pharmacy, switch to a different course. If your uni doesn't let you take it, you can apply to do economics at other unis.

If you want to go into banking, you'll be okay with Durham as its a semi-target university. Just make sure your extracurricular a are good and you apply for internships early.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending