The Student Room Group

Further Maths GCSE: What exam board should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
Do all the questions in the texbook before you tackle past papers - it's too early for them now.

Make sure you are on top of the A* GCSE material e.g. manipulating surds, equations, indices ...

Ok thanks; I wasn't going to tackle past papers yet!:smile: Yes, you're right- some of the A* gcse topics which I knew well a few months ago I have completely forgotten...
Original post by Oxidation
Oh nice! I'm aiming for an A* but I'm around a B grade. How can I boost this? As in should I do past papers then practice the questions that I don't know?

OK, firstly go through your revision guide and specifically pinpoint topics you don't understand. Do not be tempted to just keep revising topics YOU find easy! Then, use corbett maths and hegarty maths videos for topics you don't understand- they are very useful. Corbett maths also has lots of practice questions which are very useful. When you understand every topic, then attempt past papers. Do LOADS of them, and the questions you don't understand try again, and again- until you are sure you can't get it wrong. After you have done a few papers, you will start noticing a trend in the types of questions asked (despite you doing the new spec.) Also, USE the mark schemes- you will begin to understand exactly where the examiners award marks. Read the examiners reports on the exam board's website- they are very useful in telling you where students went wrong each year; what questions they found difficult, or easy.

However, the most important thing for maths is to practice questions- you can't really 'revise' like other subjects- you have to 'do'! Best of luck!x:biggrin:

Spoiler

In year 11 I did both Edexcel Level 3 Algebra in the January and then AQA Level 2 Further Maths in the summer. Both of these were very manageable despite the fact the six of us at my school were essentially sent to the library with the relevant textbook (2 people got A's, 3 A* and 1 A^ (A* with distinction) which was me :smile:).

Our school did consider the OCR FSMQ above but it was generally considered much harder than the AQA maths but I guess if you and your school were serious about it it could be learnt in a year. You could also consider the Edexcel Level 3 Statistics qualification but I don't know it very well. Final option is to start directly on the A level course but I doubt most schools would agree to this.

Most important thing to consider for further maths: do not let it compromise your other subjects (especially GCSE maths), you and your school should make sure it is considered optional and not at the expense of any other subjects which are more important.

Finally, try and agree to get some teacher help as for some parts of the course it really does help.
Original post by sunshine774
OK, firstly go through your revision guide and specifically pinpoint topics you don't understand. Do not be tempted to just keep revising topics YOU find easy! Then, use corbett maths and hegarty maths videos for topics you don't understand- they are very useful. Corbett maths also has lots of practice questions which are very useful. When you understand every topic, then attempt past papers. Do LOADS of them, and the questions you don't understand try again, and again- until you are sure you can't get it wrong. After you have done a few papers, you will start noticing a trend in the types of questions asked (despite you doing the new spec.) Also, USE the mark schemes- you will begin to understand exactly where the examiners award marks. Read the examiners reports on the exam board's website- they are very useful in telling you where students went wrong each year; what questions they found difficult, or easy.

However, the most important thing for maths is to practice questions- you can't really 'revise' like other subjects- you have to 'do'! Best of luck!x:biggrin:

Spoiler

Ohh thanks so much for your advice and great help!! :smile:
Original post by Oxidation
Ohh thanks so much for your advice and great help!! :smile:

That's OK- if you need any more help just ask!:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
That's OK- if you need any more help just ask!:smile:

Thanks so much! :smile:
Reply 26
Hey guys, you say to do past papers (and I am) but the new GCSE levels 1-9 has been sprung upon us with no past papers done in the same format, how do I combat this?

Quick Reply