So just an update on the 2016 application stats:

Mature non-graduates
No. of places: 5
No. of applicants: 40
Lowest UKCAT interviewed: 2400 (total)
No. of interviews: 24
No. of offers: 14
Applicants per offer: 3

Just wondering where these stats came from and what the definition of mature is. There are at least 6 of us in this category on the BM5 course this year. The only thing I can think of is that one of us is 24 so maybe you count 25 and over as mature so he is in another of the sub-groups.

Only a minor thing but we are all interested to know the answer.

Ta
Reply 61
Original post by Neostigmine
Admissions said partly because it has dropped every year since we started using it, and partly because of the changes to the UKCAT mean they're expecting lower averages.

It might not change or it might go up. No way to know really and we've not been doing it long enough to know for sure. But that is what admissions were saying at the open days.

Do you think an average of 717 is enough?
Original post by Alan1980
Just wondering where these stats came from and what the definition of mature is. There are at least 6 of us in this category on the BM5 course this year. The only thing I can think of is that one of us is 24 so maybe you count 25 and over as mature so he is in another of the sub-groups.

Only a minor thing but we are all interested to know the answer.

Ta

Admissions during the open days that I worked at as a medicine rep.

The uni usually counts anyone over 21 as mature (having just been part of the mature student welcome and advice panel!). I assume they would use this for admissions.

Don't forget that they will make more offers than places on the basis that statistically they will only fill the spaces they have because of failures/people going elsewhere. If 6 of you met your offer they wouldn't turn one of you away to make sure they only have 5. They will inevitably have spaces in other groups and will simply make up the numbers there if needed.

Original post by jjash12
Do you think an average of 717 is enough?

See my post one or two posts above yours.
Hey guys,

I've been reading the website for the course, and it talks about the selection day... Is that an interview day?! And was 640 the cut off last year? That's what sounds like... And if the selection day isn't an interview time.. what is it?!
Original post by marsbar3007
Hey guys,

I've been reading the website for the course, and it talks about the selection day... Is that an interview day?! And was 640 the cut off last year? That's what sounds like... And if the selection day isn't an interview time.. what is it?!

Yes it is an interview day
Not a cut off. We interview those who score highest. The lowest we interviewed was 640 average. This changes yearly.
It is an interview (2 interviewer panel interview) and a group task that is very relaxed and you're not expected to have any knowledge for.
Yes it is an interview day
Not a cut off. We interview those who score highest. The lowest we interviewed was 640 average. This changes yearly.
It is an interview (2 interviewer panel interview) and a group task that is very relaxed and you're not expected to have any knowledge for.

Thanks for replying! I got 697 in for the ukcat, and I know the lowest was 640 last year, but it was 700, 702.5 and 735 (I think) for the years before that... do you think it's still worth applying?
Original post by marsbar3007
Thanks for replying! I got 697 in for the ukcat, and I know the lowest was 640 last year, but it was 700, 702.5 and 735 (I think) for the years before that... do you think it's still worth applying?

I can't say! It's up to you to decide if it is worth the risk. It has trended down... but the UKCAT has lost a section. No one can tell you if it would be safe bet or not :no:.

If it was me? I'd probably apply as long as there wasn't 4 other unis that I'd have a better shot with.
Reply 67
Would love to apply to southampton, but ukcat is 723.3... is this too dangerosuly close to the cutoff?
Jees. Come on guys. So many posts in this thread stating, in black and white, the cut offs over the previous years enabling you to decide for yourself.
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Would love to apply to southampton, but ukcat is 723.3... is this too dangerosuly close to the cutoff?

Go back 1 page. Find which group you belong to and divide the ave by 4. Work out what the lowest was last year and decide for yourself.

There is no cut off. And the ave was 640 last year so its not exactly close if you're a school leaver.

Jees. Come on guys. So many posts in this thread stating, in black and white, the cut offs over the previous years enabling you to decide for yourself.

I can't rate you as I have rated you recently. Totally agree but it's like this every year :sadnod:. People want an answer.

I can't rate you as I have rated you recently. Totally agree but it's like this every year :sadnod:. People want an answer.

I understand it's a big decision for people after doing it myself last year, but if you want to be a doctor you shouldn't need to be spoon fed info and you should absolutely know how to do basic research, like reading back one page on a forum thread 🙄
Hey guys, I read somewhere (it was quite an old thread) that Southampton require an A for the 4th AS? I got a B and I wasn't quite sure if that would be a problem as it doesn't state it on their website. I tried to email the Uni just to make sure as I didn't want something to get in the way of a potential interview invitation, but they haven't replied to me yet and I'm getting a bit nervous because the 15th October is approaching very fast. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Original post by TianaEsther
Hey guys, I read somewhere (it was quite an old thread) that Southampton require an A for the 4th AS? I got a B and I wasn't quite sure if that would be a problem as it doesn't state it on their website. I tried to email the Uni just to make sure as I didn't want something to get in the way of a potential interview invitation, but they haven't replied to me yet and I'm getting a bit nervous because the 15th October is approaching very fast. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :biggrin:

I wrote to them about the 4th AS and got this - no mention of a 4th AS requirement.

Thank you for your enquiry. Our academic entry requirements are 7 GCSEs at minimum grade B to include English Language, Maths & Sciences and three GCE A Levels at or predicted grades AAA to include Chemistry & Biology.The UK Clinical Aptitude test (UKCAT) is used as part of the selection process by Southampton Medical School and must be taken in the summer prior to making an application. It will be used for the BM5 (A100) BM4 (A101) and BM6 (A102) programmes. Applicants will be able to register to take the UKCAT in June. Registration will only be available on-line via the website at www.ukcat.ac.uk. Further details of how to take the test are available on our website at www.soton.ac.uk/prospectus. Note: For 2016 tests only, the new Decision Making sub-test score will not be included. (This test has been replaced with a new version and is being piloted for 2016). Therefore scores will be based on 3 sub-tests not 4. The top score that could be obtained will be 2700 (compared to 3600 previously) and overall scores for 2016 will be significantly lower if compared to previous years. For each of our programmes the lowest UKCAT scores to receive an offer for 2016 entry are shown below. We have also included figures from UKCAT for estimated equivalent scores without Decision Analysis. Please note that these scores are for guidance only. Programme Lowest UKCAT score to receive an offer in 2016 Percentile scores from UKCAT (for guidance only)BM5 School Leavers 2560 1920BM5 Mature Non Grads 2410 1800BM5 Overseas 2280 1700BM5 Graduates 2770 2100BM4 Graduates 2900 2200All applicants for BM4, BM5 and BM6 must take the UKCAT. We will be ranking applicants by total UKCAT score (we do not consider Situational Judgement) and those with the highest scores will be invited to a selection day (provided they meet the academic requirements). Applicants for BM6 are not ranked by UKCAT but they are also required to take the test.Applicants must meet the minimum academic entry requirements and we do not score/weight academic criteria.If applicants are invited to selection day they will be assessed on the non academic criteria.
Original post by drgoundry
I wrote to them about the 4th AS and got this - no mention of a 4th AS requirement.

Thank you for your enquiry. Our academic entry requirements are 7 GCSEs at minimum grade B to include English Language, Maths & Sciences and three GCE A Levels at or predicted grades AAA to include Chemistry & Biology.The UK Clinical Aptitude test (UKCAT) is used as part of the selection process by Southampton Medical School and must be taken in the summer prior to making an application. It will be used for the BM5 (A100) BM4 (A101) and BM6 (A102) programmes. Applicants will be able to register to take the UKCAT in June. Registration will only be available on-line via the website at www.ukcat.ac.uk. Further details of how to take the test are available on our website at www.soton.ac.uk/prospectus. Note: For 2016 tests only, the new Decision Making sub-test score will not be included. (This test has been replaced with a new version and is being piloted for 2016). Therefore scores will be based on 3 sub-tests not 4. The top score that could be obtained will be 2700 (compared to 3600 previously) and overall scores for 2016 will be significantly lower if compared to previous years. For each of our programmes the lowest UKCAT scores to receive an offer for 2016 entry are shown below. We have also included figures from UKCAT for estimated equivalent scores without Decision Analysis. Please note that these scores are for guidance only. Programme Lowest UKCAT score to receive an offer in 2016 Percentile scores from UKCAT (for guidance only)BM5 School Leavers 2560 1920BM5 Mature Non Grads 2410 1800BM5 Overseas 2280 1700BM5 Graduates 2770 2100BM4 Graduates 2900 2200All applicants for BM4, BM5 and BM6 must take the UKCAT. We will be ranking applicants by total UKCAT score (we do not consider Situational Judgement) and those with the highest scores will be invited to a selection day (provided they meet the academic requirements). Applicants for BM6 are not ranked by UKCAT but they are also required to take the test.Applicants must meet the minimum academic entry requirements and we do not score/weight academic criteria.If applicants are invited to selection day they will be assessed on the non academic criteria.

Thank you so much that was super useful :biggrin:
Original post by TianaEsther
Thank you so much that was super useful :biggrin:

Yeah it was an old thread. As of this year no 4th required.

Original post by drgoundry

Yeah you are correct. They used to require a 4th until this year.
Hi

I'm applying for medicine this year and I'm stuck on choosing a 4th uni for medicine. I'm torn between UEA and southampton.

Can somebody who's currently studying medicine at Southampton give me their personal opinion on it and the pros and cons of the course please? It would be really appreciated:h:

Thanks!
Original post by Dandelion98
Hi

I'm applying for medicine this year and I'm stuck on choosing a 4th uni for medicine. I'm torn between UEA and southampton.

Can somebody who's currently studying medicine at Southampton give me their personal opinion on it and the pros and cons of the course please? It would be really appreciated:h:

Thanks!

I'm not sure how UEA does admissions but I would apply to the one where you're more likely to get an interview to be honest. Getting into med school is all about playing the game.

I love it here but I am totally bias. What do you want to know about in particular?
Ok, I'll take that into consideration thanks.

What aspects of the course do you like/are really helpful?
Also, what aspects aren't so good?
What's PBL like? I'm worried that i would learn the wrong things or not learn enough or too much. Also I read somewhere that the facilitator isn't an expert in the field so wouldn't be able to answer questions. Is that true?
Yeah it was an old thread. As of this year no 4th required.

Yeah you are correct. They used to require a 4th until this year.

Oh thank goodness, I was getting a bit nervous. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 79
I understand it's a big decision for people after doing it myself last year, but if you want to be a doctor you shouldn't need to be spoon fed info and you should absolutely know how to do basic research, like reading back one page on a forum thread 🙄

Couldn't agree more

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest