The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If maths wasn't in the requirement I doubt there's be a lot of maths in it- I'm sure it's just basic maths skills. However, if you aren't confident you could maybe to maths a level privately- I know this may take some time (you may need to take a gap year) but may help a lot in the long run- if you don't want to do this then just make sure you work hard, get tutored, make sure you go out and find help yourself if you don't understand something and as long as you do this, I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
I'd like to know this as well - I only did maths up to AS and in my uni interviews struggled with the maths tests as my mental maths skills is terrible :/
Reply 3
Original post by Starlight2000
If maths wasn't in the requirement I doubt there's be a lot of maths in it- I'm sure it's just basic maths skills. However, if you aren't confident you could maybe to maths a level privately- I know this may take some time (you may need to take a gap year) but may help a lot in the long run- if you don't want to do this then just make sure you work hard, get tutored, make sure you go out and find help yourself if you don't understand something and as long as you do this, I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Original post by tcameron
I'd like to know this as well - I only did maths up to AS and in my uni interviews struggled with the maths tests as my mental maths skills is terrible :/

i also did up AS maths but i didnt do very well. But i think it was because i changed sixth form and it took me a lot of getting used to a new style of teaching. i just hope that at uni, im able to keep up with the maths side
Nope 4th yr here maths gcse is enough...make sure you brush up on mental maths though!
Original post by CHEM AND BIO TIME!
Nope 4th yr here maths gcse is enough...make sure you brush up on mental maths though!

Mental maths is my biggest downfall. I can't do sums in my head so easily and during my work experience I was doing dispensing and couldn't do the simple maths problems :/ would this be a big issue do you think?
Mental maths is my biggest downfall. I can't do sums in my head so easily and during my work experience I was doing dispensing and couldn't do the simple maths problems :/ would this be a big issue do you think?

4th year here too.

Mental maths skills are absolutely essential for safe and effective practice as a pharmacist. However, you will get a lot of exposure to calculation questions throughout your degree and pre-reg year, so you should be okay. Just make sure to practise these regularly so that you become quicker and more accurate.

Hope this helps!

Maths is essential, but honestly you get alot of practise throughout your degree. When you do calcs, work them out on paper it really helps! We are allowed calculators now but having the basics down like long devision etc are a must. The rest will usually follow!

Good luck!
Original post by dolphin9799
I'm going to be studying pharmacy but I'm terrified at the fact that there are maths modules within the first term and I haven't done a level maths! How hard is the maths? And what preparation would you suggest? Thanks

There's a free online course on futurelearn.com, called 'the science of medicines'. It looks at things such as pharmacology and stuff. Might be useful if you want to do pharmacy:smile: hope this helps!
Reply 9
Thanks everyone! Hopefully I will improve!
Original post by Courtneyx1x
There's a free online course on futurelearn.com, called 'the science of medicines'. It looks at things such as pharmacology and stuff. Might be useful if you want to do pharmacy:smile: hope this helps!

Ah I did that before I applied, was very interesting and good to add on my personal statement
Original post by CHEM AND BIO TIME!
Maths is essential, but honestly you get alot of practise throughout your degree. When you do calcs, work them out on paper it really helps! We are allowed calculators now but having the basics down like long devision etc are a must. The rest will usually follow!

Good luck!

Thank you,
Hahaha the last time I did long division was when I was around 10 years old from my dad. My schools never taught us that way :/
Reply 12
I didn't do maths A level - got a B at GCSE and still don't know how tf to work with fractions. I told the interviewer that 9*6 is 45 - I still got the place :lol: i acc got 3 offers through clearing so no deffo not a requirement to get in at least

tho I did do A level chem and dat **** had a lot of maths in it so hopefully that helps and i don't drop out in October :biggrin:
It certainly helps.
Original post by miraclemuokebe
I'm not a pharmacy student but I've been told that maths, chemistry and biology alevel are needed for pharmacy.

Wrong, I'm studying pharmacy now and only chemistry A level is needed
Wrong, I'm studying pharmacy now and only chemistry A level is needed

Everybody's different. There are some people on my course that are confident in maths and don't need any help at all. But the majority did need some help on one part they're weak/struggle in (often more!), so I would say knowing some maths (especially basic and mental maths) is helpful, and how to work out concentrations and dilutions, as well as knowledge of logs, is important.

Also, I would say a basic knowledge of biology is also needed, so not just Chem. Pharmacy schools are all really different too so bear that in mind.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
hello..can i know which university you can get into without maths for pharmacy? i am actually struggling finding such university..thanks
Reply 17
Hi there , could BTEC science level 1/level 2 be related to A level , like having the same qualifications?
Very big issue.Imagine having to make a 500ml bottle of 0.5% cream, but only keep 15% concentrate in stock?
Original post by dolphin9799
I'm going to be studying pharmacy but I'm terrified at the fact that there are maths modules within the first term and I haven't done a level maths! How hard is the maths? And what preparation would you suggest? Thanks

I'm a second year pharmacy student at keele, I didn't do A level maths and for the first year I was fine! At keele we do a calculations test each year, usually about 20 questions. You mainly need to be able to divide and multiply large numbers for your first year exam. I had no idea what I was doing but had 2 tutor sessions and learnt the basics and I was fine. The first year there isn't a great deal of maths, hence why most of the A level requirements state you need biology or chemistry (you need both in my opinion). Theres a lot of equations and not math if that make sense? You need to know which numbers go where in the equation then its easy enough to work out. I honestly wouldn't worry about not having done A level math, its not a great part of the course.

Latest

Trending

Trending