The Student Room Group

Are women the friendlier gender?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Well, I personally take "friendly" to mean "acts like a friend"; I guess its a difference of definitions.

If friendly means what you say it means, how would you distinguish between someone who smiled at you, and then told all her friends how much she hates you, and someone who smiled at you, but genuinely wished you well?

Really? Cause I would never say 'oh yeah, she's super friendly!' when describing how good a friend is to me. I'd say someone is friendly if I'm trying to say that they appear warm and approachable. As for your question, well there's no way you can really answer that. If someone comes across nice and you bricks friends hopefully you'll discover they she/he is a nice person who isn't ****ging you off to everyone. Idk, I just don't necessarily associate friendliness with goodness. Some people who are a bit aloof and find it hard to be bubbly and 'friendly' are also very good friends.
Original post by yudothis
More testosterone = more aggressive.

It's genetically proven.

I don't think it is quite so simple!
Original post by SophiaNeuning
I don't think it is quite so simple!

Do you now?
Perhaps politer. Men are more genuinely friendly I would say.
I find women more friendier mainly due to most of friends being women and its much easier to have deep conversations with a woman than a man.You go get those *****y attention whores who think they have entitlement. In my experience, men get more jealous and have more aniexty issues, tend to be more closed off or threating so hard to talk to. Both have negatives and positives
Do you now?

You cannot 100% conclusively and objectively say that men are less friendly, and that this is because they are more aggressive, and that this is because of testosterone.
You cannot 100% conclusively and objectively say that men are less friendly, and that this is because they are more aggressive, and that this is because of testosterone.

Yes you can.

Unless you are taking a literal reading of that rather than men being said in general and not (all) men.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Jheeze BLUEMASON IS BACK, we thought you died

It is good to be back, as I have plenty of new topics
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Men are definitely friendlier. Always trying to stroke, touch and grab us, yelling compliments at us in the street etc.

Yes. Thank God he is fine.

:indiff:

Awwwww thanks
Yes you can.

Unless you are taking a literal reading of that rather than men being said in general and not (all) men.

No you can not. You even said yourself, 'not all men'. And that wasn't even what I had issue with. I'm sure there are some studies on the link between men being perceived as less friendly and the relationship between testosterone and aggression. But friendliness, testosterone, aggression and perceived gender difference in friendliness? No psychologist would simplify these huge areas of study with such a crude statement. People need to stop assuming (because of their pop psychology readings) that there are certain facts. There are not. You couldn't even give me an objective statement of what friendliness means. People need to stop giving a really basic answer to complex statements, evidenced with a really basic understanding of evolutionary psychology. No no nooooo
No you can not. You even said yourself, 'not all men'. And that wasn't even what I had issue with. I'm sure there are some studies on the link between men being perceived as less friendly and the relationship between testosterone and aggression. But friendliness, testosterone, aggression and perceived gender difference in friendliness? No psychologist would simplify these huge areas of study with such a crude statement. People need to stop assuming (because of their pop psychology readings) that there are certain facts. There are not. You couldn't even give me an objective statement of what friendliness means. People need to stop giving a really basic answer to complex statements, evidenced with a really basic understanding of evolutionary psychology. No no nooooo

Triggered?

The best answers, the best models, the best solutions, are all simple.
Triggered?

The best answers, the best models, the best solutions, are all simple.

Triggered only by idiocy. Is that how you respond if someone challenges your uneducated assumption? :rofl: I just don't think aggression is why men are less friendly. I don't even think men are less friendly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Triggered only by idiocy. Is that how you respond if someone challenges your uneducated assumption? :rofl:

You went on a massive rant most of which irrelevant to the debate.

What assumption did I make?
Yeah, from experience they are.
You went on a massive rant most of which irrelevant to the debate.

What assumption did I make?

The assumptions made
-men are more aggressive
-because of testosterone
-which has been genetically proven
-which causes men to be less friendly than women

You start off okay but it becomes a lil bit tenuous. It's not a rant, it's just you can't even say women are conclusively more friendly than men, and you deffo can't say that this is because men are more aggressive.

Well you can say it. But it'd just be your opinion.

:h:
The assumptions made
-men are more aggressive
-because of testosterone
-which has been genetically proven
-which causes men to be less friendly than women

You start off okay but it becomes a lil bit tenuous. It's not a rant, it's just you can't even say women are conclusively more friendly than men, and you deffo can't say that this is because men are more aggressive.

Well you can say it. But it'd just be your opinion.

:h:

Do you deny the first three are true?

And do you deny the link between aggressiveness and friendliness?
Lads are friendlier because just look at our friendships compared to these birds out here. Lads are more loyal and forgiving and straight up with each other than females who call themselves women for damn sure.
Nice to your face awful behind your back, guys are nicer
Yesss. But idk how much I agree that that is relevant to this discussion. The argument that men are more aggressive isn't what I take issue with. It's an idea, I just don't think you can conclusively say it.

Anyway, aside from the science of it all, we aren't going to find any solid truth/fact with this. So, in my experience, women are more friendly in that I find them easier to chat with, it's easier to 'get' them and just communicate through a look, but I also find them more hostile socially. I find men more friendly in the sense that they are easy going.

Do you deny the first three are true?And do you deny the link between aggressiveness and friendliness?
Nope. It's a wide arena of discussion, I simply deny the statement that men are more aggressive and that this causes them to be less friendly. You can talk about it as an idea, but to say it as a simple statement, as a fact, would be untrue.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xDarcey
I don't think it's really fair to claim that any one gender is friendlier or more approachable than another. I've known women who have been rude, arrogant and spiteful, and I've known men who have been extremely caring and understanding.

Maybe there's some biological science behind it that makes women in general more loving (specifically in the case of children), I don't know. But I've known plenty of women who have been friendly, and plenty who have not.

"Biological science", don't you mean "psychology"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending