The Student Room Group

Good universities for Psychology

I am planning on studying psychology at uni and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of it at unis I'm looking into, or had any suggestions of good psychology courses? My favourites currently are Exeter, Durham, Warwick, Nottingham, Kent and East Anglia. Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

The ones you've listed differ greatly. Durham is very different to Kent for example in terms of grade requirements.

How did you do at AS? What's your predicted A2? That could help us narrow it down a bit for you.*
Reply 2
Original post by Noodlzzz
The ones you've listed differ greatly. Durham is very different to Kent for example in terms of grade requirements.

How did you do at AS? What's your predicted A2? That could help us narrow it down a bit for you.*

Im not OP but say I had AAB at AS what would recommend.
Original post by RomNoob
Im not OP but say I had AAB at AS what would recommend.

I would go for an AAA uni such as Durham, a few AAB unis such as RHUL and 1 or 2 ABB unis to be on the safe side.*
Reply 4
I would go for an AAA uni such as Durham, a few AAB unis such as RHUL and 1 or 2 ABB unis to be on the safe side.*

Would it have any affect if one of those subjects was a language?
I strongly recommend going to a uni that offers a placement year, invaluable experience.
Original post by RomNoob
Would it have any affect if one of those subjects was a language?

If at least one other subject is a science/math subject then no. In fact, UCL have a requirement now for a language to at least GCSE.
Reply 7
If at least one other subject is a science/math subject then no. In fact, UCL have a requirement now for a language to at least GCSE.

Would psychology itself count as science subject or no?
Original post by RomNoob

It does, yes. But I would recommend (even though I didn't) having another science subject at A-level if applying for higher ranked universities.
Reply 9
It does, yes. But I would recommend (even though I didn't) having another science subject at A-level if applying for higher ranked universities.

Thanks! The year has already started so I doubt I could opt in to another subject specially since my college is pretty big and most likely be full anyways

I am doing psychology sociology and biology a levels and i got AAA at AS and I'm pretty sure my school will give me a good reference
Original post by RomNoob

Check the requirements for each university, when I applied in 2012 I think Cardiff didn't count psychology a level as a science. They gave AAA offers to people with a science a level and AAB to the hose without.
Original post by x__justmyluck
Check the requirements for each university, when I applied in 2012 I think Cardiff didn't count psychology a level as a science. They gave AAA offers to people with a science a level and AAB to the hose without.

They do accept it as a science, which is why it's a BSc course, they just don't see it as an essential science A-level
Glasgow is meant to be really good (at least in rankings) and their offer in AAB but they have mandatory requirements too

From their website -
"Must include one Science subject. Applicants who do not have a Mathematics A-level must have Mathematics AS-level or GCSE at Grade A/B."
They do accept it as a science, which is why it's a BSc course, they just don't see it as an essential science A-level

They did not count the a level as a science a level. It was on the list of a level subjects not counted as a science a level.

The content of the a level is not rigorously scientific, the degree is. Also the distinction between BA and BSc when it comes to psychology degrees is not clear or particularly important (the BPS accreditation is important, not whether the university calls it a BSc or a BA).
Hi guys,
Sorry to intrude on the post. I'm a bit worried about my sister. She is hoping to do psychology at uni but her GCSES aren't very good they were BBBBBCCCCCDEE with a b in GCSE language and literature and c in maths (after retaking once)
Shes currently doing a Btec in applied science level 3 and is predicted D*D*D
Shes planning on applying to:
Loughborough,
Sheffield,
Liverpool,
Leicester and
maybe Coventry.
Do you think she would get any offers? Especially from Loughborough?
Thanks x
Original post by spnislife
Hi guys,
Sorry to intrude on the post. I'm a bit worried about my sister. She is hoping to do psychology at uni but her GCSES aren't very good they were BBBBBCCCCCDEE with a b in GCSE language and literature and c in maths (after retaking once)
Shes currently doing a Btec in applied science level 3 and is predicted D*D*D
Shes planning on applying to:
Loughborough,
Sheffield,
Liverpool,
Leicester and
maybe Coventry.
Do you think she would get any offers? Especially from Loughborough?
Thanks x

I think there is a good chance she'll get offers especially if she has a good reference and predicted grades from the school but the only thing is that a lot of unis prefer if not require at least a B in GCSE maths for psychology courses as the include a lot of statistics
UEA OR WARWICK
what career path will you go into?
you need to make sure you go to a very good university because there are not many strong/open careers/jobs in psychology
Original post by x__justmyluck

Oh :s-smilie: Better to know than not, thanks for the info!
Original post by evangelinemay
I think there is a good chance she'll get offers especially if she has a good reference and predicted grades from the school but the only thing is that a lot of unis prefer if not require at least a B in GCSE maths for psychology courses as the include a lot of statistics

That's relieving to know! The ones I've listed don't need a B I think just a C in maths and B in gcse english, but she has that! I'll tell her to double check anyway. She emailed Loughborough and they said her reference and personal statement will need to be strong. Thanks for the reply xx

Quick Reply

Latest