The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
Haven't posted here in a while but I guess a lot of us are arriving in the next few days/have already arrived so...

Good luck and have fun in Cambridge! It's been a thrilling ride with you all. Including all the ups and downs, the whole application process wouldn't have been as exciting and entertaining as it has been without the people here. I'll definitely see some of you soon especially Christ's and Phys NatSci freshers but I do hope that a lot of us continue to use TSR to some extent. I'd be interested to read on this thread what you are all up to in a few months. Many thanks once again to the adult crew @vincrows, @jneill and CAT now known as @Murray Edwards Admissions, and already-students as well as graduates for all the help and advice you've given us. I'm wishing you all the very very best! :smile:

Lots of love,
C0balt

Thanks for thanks, and good luck!
You deserve it. :smile:

Original post by jneill
It's not going to get all emotional in here again is it?!

:smile:

It's been an absolute delight to have been allowed to be with you all on this amazing journey. And yes it's nearly time for you to take that next step on what I'm sure promises to be quite an experience for you at Cambridge; some of it will be brilliant, some not so good. Whatever happens - I know you will all make the very most of it.

And try to take a breath every once in a while to just... be.

What @jneill said.:smile:

It won't be an easy ride for anybody.
But I can guarantee it will be the most fulfilling few years you've ever had in your life.
Work hard, play hard and enjoy the life a la Cambridge!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
Thanks for thanks, and good luck!
You deserve it. :smile:

What @jneill said.:smile:

It won't be an easy ride for anybody.
But I can guarantee it will be the most fulfilling few years you've ever had in your life.
Work hard, play hard and the life a la Cambridge!

PRSOM! :smile:
So who's going out on Saturday? :wink:
If you're not taking your own bike, better option is to buy a second hand one in Cambridge. Hiring for the length of time you're there will be very expensive.

Edit:
This is the major bike hire company in Cambridge. The price is not aimed at someone who live in Cambridge for 3/4 yrs.
http://www.citycyclehire.com/prices-4/

Original post by jneill
Don't hire - it will work out v expensive AND if it's nicked it's still your responsibility.

Just get either a cheap new one, or a cheap 2nd hand one... cheap being the key thing no matter where you get it from. :smile:

Much as I dislike Halfords even they have bikes from £90
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes

Sorry to take you back to this but I think I'll go for that £90 since it's a good deal - any thoughts? Regardless of which one I get, should I order it on the first day I know my address/postage details (i.e. Saturday?)
Original post by highestmountain
Sorry to take you back to this but I think I'll go for that £90 since it's a good deal - any thoughts? Regardless of which one I get, should I order it on the first day I know my address/postage details (i.e. Saturday?)

If you're having it delivered to your college, you know your address/postcode = your college. Porters will receive it and keep it until you come to collect it, but warn them beforehand as it's quite bulky.

It'd depend on how much you ride and how you ride, but if you go for a very cheap bike, be prepared to the possibility of having it repaired/serviced at some stage which is not cheap. Keep an eye on the chain, especially. :wink:
Also, make sure you order a good D-lock and good lights to go with it. And helmet, if you don't have one already.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by highestmountain

Order it? Just go and buy it... Or find a LBS close to your college. There's quite a few in central Cambridge.

And buy a good D-lock and helmet...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Order it? Just go and buy it... Or find a LBS close to your college. There's quite a few in central Cambridge.

And buy a good D-lock and helmet...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't £90 deal specifically at Halfords?
Isn't £90 deal specifically at Halfords?

Yes yes. But it's probably worth having a look at what's on offer nearby. As i said I do hate Halfords...:wink: If OP can't find a good bike locally (but maybe paying just a little more) then Halfords would be Plan B.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yes yes. But it's probably worth having a look at what's on offer nearby. As i said I do hate Halfords...:wink: If OP can't find a good bike locally (but maybe paying just a little more) then Halfords would be Plan B.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most of LBS in Cambridge have stock of second-hand bikes, too, especially at the beginning of academic year. I'm not sure if they have a cheap deal of new bike like halford's one tho.
Original post by Mathemagicien
He swapped colleges? Traitor! :mob:

Not the first time. :wink:
And ex- Lucy cavendish's AT is a new @Christ's Admissions now.......though Dr. Spencer's photo is still on their undergraduate admission page. :tongue:
Original post by Mathemagicien
He swapped colleges? Traitor! :mob:

Yes :frown: But he picked a college with a brilliant acronym again... MEAT now, hate to admit but better than CAT :ahee:
And ex- Lucy cavendish's AT is a new @Christ's Admissions now.......though Dr. Spencer's photo is still on their undergraduate admission page. :tongue:

And he was at Corpus before Christ's...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really? That's interesting :redface: so who's Lucy Cavendish AT now then?
Original post by C0balt
Oh really? That's interesting :redface: so who's Lucy Cavendish AT now then?

Not announced yet afaik.

Edit: just to be clear. Someone is now in post but not yet "TSR-ready" :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
And he was at Corpus before Christ's...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was Dr. Spencer's debut to TSR as a Cambridge college AT.:smile:
That was Dr. Spencer's debut to TSR as a Cambridge college AT.:smile:

The wandering AT :smile:

The WAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those of you going up to Newhnam this weekend, have you been told that, due to the demolition/rebuilding work, the porters' lodge has been moved?

If not, be prepared to follow a crocodile of puzzled undergrads until you find it!
Original post by Gregorius
For those of you going up to Newhnam this weekend, have you been told that, due to the demolition/rebuilding work, the porters' lodge has been moved?

If not, be prepared to follow a crocodile of puzzled undergrads until you find it!

I've not been told but I did figure it out when the map they sent for unloading showed a different place for it than last time! :tongue:

I have a feeling my room this year will have gorgeous views of the demolition work :colonhash:
Original post by Serine Soul
I've not been told but I did figure it out when the map they sent for unloading showed a different place for it than last time! :tongue:

I have a feeling my room this year will have gorgeous views of the demolition work :colonhash:

My view is the porters lodge lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
My view is the porters lodge lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really inspiring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending