The Student Room Group

Colleges that are more open to/accepting of international students?

I am an international student and would like to apply to Cambridge. While researching, I chanced upon a site where an international student wrote that "Caius does not usually take in International students". Are there colleges which are known for being more open to international students and those which are less accepting of them (in terms of actual acceptance)? Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SophiaEGoh
I am an international student (asian), and would like to apply to Cambridge. I was thinking of applying to Caius, and while researching, I chanced upon a site where an international student wrote that "Caius does not usually take in International students". Are there colleges which are known for being more open to international students and those which are less accepting of them (in terms of actual acceptance)? Thanks!

No difference between colleges, honestly.
Don't worry about what you read. That's just one personal opinion and it doesn't mean it's right.
If you like Caius, apply there.
Good luck, :smile:
Thanks vincrows! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SophiaEGoh
I am an international student (asian), and would like to apply to Cambridge. I was thinking of applying to Caius, and while researching, I chanced upon a site where an international student wrote that "Caius does not usually take in International students". Are there colleges which are known for being more open to international students and those which are less accepting of them (in terms of actual acceptance)? Thanks!

Original post by vincrows
No difference between colleges, honestly.
Don't worry about what you read. That's just one personal opinion and it doesn't mean it's right.
If you like Caius, apply there.
Good luck, :smile:

As per Vincrows.

But just to add, all colleges like International students. After all, they pay higher fees :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
As per Vincrows.

But just to add, all colleges like International students. After all, they pay higher fees :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They may like the fees, but it's still almost twice as hard to get in as an international student--if I'm reading these stats correctly...

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/undergrad_admissions_statistics_2015_cyle.pdf

Page 6:
Total UK apps: 10,179 v. 3219 offers (32%)
Total Non-UK apps: 6252 v. 1034 offers (17%)
Reply 5
Original post by Remaxmac
They may like the fees, but it's still almost twice as hard to get in as an international student--if I'm reading these stats correctly...

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/undergrad_admissions_statistics_2015_cyle.pdf

Page 6:

It very much depends on the country, or more correctly, the qualifications and academic profile offered by individual applicants.

And it's not just Internationals, Scottish candidates tend on average to be less successful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Page 6:

There is a few reasons why international applicants tend to have a lower rate of success. One is because they/their school are not so well-versed in complexity of Oxbridge assessment, so not getting good/sufficient advice. Another reason is there're many 'punters' because, unlike uk applicants, they're not restricted up to 5 unis they can apply to. Also, many international applicants are rejected because of their insufficient ability of English.
(edited 7 years ago)
UCL = They regularly open spots just to get more $$
Reply 8
Also, many international applicants are rejected because of their insufficient ability of English.

But in that case they should get an IELTS condition on their offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
But in that case they should get an IELTS condition on their offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they only give offer to international applicants with reasonably good level of English because that's essential. IELTS condition is added to make sure it really is.
Language ability cannot be improved so dramatically in a short period of time, so if their English is well below the required level, they just wouldn't get an offer. Have heard from someone in charge of admission many international applicants are rejected because of that.
Reply 10
I think they only give offer to international applicants with reasonably good level of English because that's essential. IELTS condition is added to make sure it really is.
Language ability cannot be improved so dramatically in a short period of time, so if their English is well below the required level, they just wouldn't get an offer. Have heard from someone in charge of admission many international applicants are rejected because of that.

Ah true. Makes sense.

Probably the reason for the poor Scottish performance too :wink:

(jks, if any Scottish applicants are reading this...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is a few reasons why international applicants tend to have a lower rate of success. One is because they/their school are not so well-versed in complexity of Oxbridge assessment, so not getting good/sufficient advice. Another reason is there're many 'banters' because, unlike uk applicants, they're not restricted up to 5 unis they can apply to. Also, many international applicants are rejected because of their insufficient ability of English.

I can see that. But one question... what are "banters?" (from US so not familiar with that term). I thought you could only apply to UK schools through the UCAS so there was no way for more than 5 even if you are international?
I can see that. But one question... what are "banters?" (from US so not familiar with that term). I thought you could only apply to UK schools through the UCAS so there was no way for more than 5 even if you are international?

Lol sorry, typo. It's 'punters'. (Corrected)

Many of international applicants apply to university/s in their own country and/or other countries, too.
Lol sorry, typo. It's 'punters'. (Corrected)

Many of international applicants apply to university/s in their own country and/or other countries, too.

Ah, okay--got it!

I didn't realize you could do that--I think there are only a couple on the common app in the US, but I assumed it would be frowned upon.
Ah, okay--got it!

I didn't realize you could do that--I think there are only a couple on the common app in the US, but I assumed it would be frowned upon.

Many international applicants add Cambridge (or other top U.K. uni) to other universities they apply to in their own country and/or other countries, esp. US, while vast majority of U.K. applicants only apply to uk unis. So naturally the latter only apply to Cambridge only if they think it's a realistic target as they can only apply to 5 unis.
But I think a bigger factor is simply many international applicants don't get sufficient/appropriate enough advice/info on Cambridge application, so they're either not up to the necessary standard (but not realising it) or misunderstanding what's required.
Also, insufficient ability of English which is really essential for undergraduate study.

Quick Reply

Latest