The Student Room Group

Applying to university independently

Who do I get to look over my personal statement? I'm currently working full time hours and I'm not currently enrolled in any sixth form or other university so who would I ask to look over my PS?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe go to an open day and get talking to a professor/ ex admissions tutor? I went to an open day and a professor for my subject gave me his number and email and he gave me tons of helpful feedback with my personal statement.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Maybe go to an open day and get talking to a professor/ ex admissions tutor? I went to an open day and a professor for my subject gave me his number and email and he gave me tons of helpful feedback with my personal statement.

Excellent idea! I didn't know you were an independent too
I'm not hun. I got a good mentor at school for UCAS but I just went on an open day and me and the professor got chatting and I asked him on the whim :tongue:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I'm not hun. I got a good mentor at school for UCAS but I just went on an open day and me and the professor got chatting and I asked him on the whim :tongue:

Thanks for the good advice anyway :smile: :smile:
Reply 5
TSR has a free PS Help service
Original post by Juno
TSR has a free PS Help service

Thank you for pointing this out to me, guys! I was not aware that TSR did this.
Reply 8
TSR is awesome :smile:
I tried using the personal statement thing on tsr and it made me start a new thread? Can the thread be viewed by everyone as I don't want to be accused of plagiarism
Reply 10
Original post by lemonandlime1
I tried using the personal statement thing on tsr and it made me start a new thread? Can the thread be viewed by everyone as I don't want to be accused of plagiarism

No it's a private forum.

But note you really need 100+ posts on TSR to use the service.
Original post by lemonandlime1

Yes you need to start a new thread. As jneill said it's a private forum. You seem to have started a new thread which had nothing in it so I deleted it. Please start a new one with your statement and confirm that it's your final draft as we only guarantee one review.
TSR provide a review service although you have to pay. In your situation it might be worth using for peace of mind.
Original post by 999tigger
TSR provide a review service although you have to pay. In your situation it might be worth using for peace of mind.

Not paid anymore. It's now free again :smile:
Original post by alleycat393
Not paid anymore. It's now free again :smile:

Ahh thats nice. Thanks for the update. Since when?
August this year :smile:
Original post by jneill
Just needs approx 100 TSR posts to qualify. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone will get a review eventually (we hope) but people with more than 100 posts get priority :smile:
Reply 17
Everyone will get a review eventually (we hope) but people with more than 100 posts get priority :smile:

Ah - nice one. :smile:

And would it be possible to highlight the service on the PS Help page?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_statement_help
@She-Ra, suggestion above :smile:

Thats a good filter alhough 100 is pretty low. Obviously you know the level of demand. Glad it was changed. I obviously missed the announcement.

Quick Reply