The Student Room Group

Contraceptive Implant - how do I get it!

This might sound like a stupid question but I'm unsure of how to get it, like do I go to my gp and see a doctor or triage nurse or do I need to go straight to a sexual health clinic?
Original post by sophiehannah27
This might sound like a stupid question but I'm unsure of how to get it, like do I go to my gp and see a doctor or triage nurse or do I need to go straight to a sexual health clinic?

Hi! It really depends on who in the area offers it. It's worth calling up your local sexual health clinic to see if they're able to give you one, and if not you can request to have it done by a GP. In my area, the only place I could get it was by 1 of the 4 doctors at my surgery. She was great though and got me sorted really quickly. There was a sexual health clinic about a 30 minute drive away that could do them, but I would've had to wait weeks. You'll have to call to book an appointment anyway, so you can ask then if you're able to have it done there
I just made an appointment with the doctor at my GP. She first phoned me to discuss whether it was right for me and then what could happen etc, then I had an appointment when she put it in. Simple :smile:
Original post by A-LJLB
I just made an appointment with the doctor at my GP. She first phoned me to discuss whether it was right for me and then what could happen etc, then I had an appointment when she put it in. Simple :smile:

Hii, I hope it goes well for you, but just be mindful of the negative side affects some of which I encountered which made me want it removed asap- boobs shrink (like a lot, 32DD to 32B), periods can get heavier and last longer( I had like a 3 month long HEAVY period during my final year exams- worst thing ever), a lot of bruising on arm.

These are just some I encountered, but prior to getting it all my friends said nothing but good things and the leaflets I read made it seem nearly purely positive, so just a reminder.
But like I said I hope its all good for you :smile: xxx
Original post by Anonymous
Hii, I hope it goes well for you, but just be mindful of the negative side affects some of which I encountered which made me want it removed asap- boobs shrink (like a lot, 32DD to 32B), periods can get heavier and last longer( I had like a 3 month long HEAVY period during my final year exams- worst thing ever), a lot of bruising on arm.

These are just some I encountered, but prior to getting it all my friends said nothing but good things and the leaflets I read made it seem nearly purely positive, so just a reminder.
But like I said I hope its all good for you :smile: xxx

I had none of those side effects, and it cut my periods out completely :smile:
But everyone is different!x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending