The Student Room Group

Costa Coffee not paying me

I worked 15 hours and recorded the dates and specific times, it was 2 weeks before I went to Uni in Aug just doing training etc, and my past "manager" said I would get paid at the end of the month for the work I completed, but i've been paid less than half of what I actually worked for.

I've been sending her texts for about 1 and a 1/2 weeks and she has just ignored every single text, totalling to about 10~

What should I do?
Are you being paid in arrears?

In my job I was paid less in the first month and total was added onto the next month (so I got paid more), after that I was paid the same total each month. Contact your HR/Payroll department.

hamza ahmad luton hamzaahmad786 hertfordshire
Did you not actually get paid for the hours, or did you get deductions?
Have you left?
Contact them over the phone or if you have left contact HR. You should have all relevant details to hand so they can identify the problem.
Reply 4
Agree, contact HR - or some head office of Costa.
Reply 5
Original post by Trinculo
Did you not actually get paid for the hours, or did you get deductions?

Really weird, I worked 15 hours and I got around 9 and a 1/6 hours work, not even a round number
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Have you left?
Contact them over the phone or if you have left contact HR. You should have all relevant details to hand so they can identify the problem.

I worked from around 20th aug to 3rd of sept, and yes I left

I tried to call my manager twice, it seems like she's ignoring me
I have my specific dates, hours and where etc

I don't know how to contact HR as this was pretty much my first job so i'm not aware of how to do this
Reply 7
Original post by mashbbk
Agree, contact HR - or some head office of Costa.

I worked from around 20th aug to 3rd of sept, and yes I leftI tried to call my manager twice, it seems like she's ignoring meI have my specific dates, hours and where etcI don't know how to contact HR as this was pretty much my first job so i'm not aware of how to do this
Reply 8
Original post by hamzaahmad786
Are you being paid in arrears?

In my job I was paid less in the first month and total was added onto the next month (so I got paid more), after that I was paid the same total each month. Contact your HR/Payroll department.

hamza ahmad luton hamzaahmad786 hertfordshire

I only worked for 2 weeks whilst training before I left so it's not that. I'm not sure how to contact them
Original post by kingLAWZA
Really weird, I worked 15 hours and I got around 9 and a 1/6 hours work, not even a round number

Ok, but does you payslip say those hours? If so - then its possibly some sort of payroll error. If it says the full 15, but you've only been paid for the 9, it might be to do with deductions of some kind. Tax etc.
Reply 10
Ok, but does you payslip say those hours? If so - then its possibly some sort of payroll error. If it says the full 15, but you've only been paid for the 9, it might be to do with deductions of some kind. Tax etc.

I'm not sure what a payslip is, from googling it looks like just a note where employers write your hours and I mean i'm not living at home unless it's been posted to me
I'm not sure what a payslip is, from googling it looks like just a note where employers write your hours and I mean i'm not living at home unless it's been posted to me

You must have received something from Costa telling you how many hours you have worked, how much your pay is and how much tax you have paid?

Or did you calculate this from your pay rate x hours?
I worked 15 hours and recorded the dates and specific times, it was 2 weeks before I went to Uni in Aug just doing training etc, and my past "manager" said I would get paid at the end of the month for the work I completed, but i've been paid less than half of what I actually worked for.

I've been sending her texts for about 1 and a 1/2 weeks and she has just ignored every single text, totalling to about 10~

What should I do?

You are best off calling to your store and speaki g face to face with your manager, also to pick up your payslip to see if and what you have been paid and what deductions has been taken off

You said that this is your first jo? I reckon you have been emergency taxed but you'll have to double check.

What Costa did you work at?
Reply 13
Original post by Sundial1306
You are best off calling to your store and speaki g face to face with your manager, also to pick up your payslip to see if and what you have been paid and what deductions has been taken off

You said that this is your first jo? I reckon you have been emergency taxed but you'll have to double check.

What Costa did you work at?

It was my first job, and i was doing training so I was in an area and I was sent to 2/3 different costa's all within 5 minutes walk for each shift, depending on if it was busy or not.

I'm at uni, I can't speak with my manager or go to the store
Reply 14
You must have received something from Costa telling you how many hours you have worked, how much your pay is and how much tax you have paid?

Or did you calculate this from your pay rate x hours?

I mean I left for uni like 10th of sept, so i'm not sure, i'll call home to check.

I mean I think most of my shifts were when I was 17 and I worked 15 @ £7.50" but received just over half of that
It was my first job, and i was doing training so I was in an area and I was sent to 2/3 different costa's all within 5 minutes walk for each shift, depending on if it was busy or not.

I'm at uni, I can't speak with my manager or go to the store

Other than that you ll have to email them.

Unless they have sent you your payslip to your house..
I mean I left for uni like 10th of sept, so i'm not sure, i'll call home to check.

I mean I think most of my shifts were when I was 17 and I worked 15 @ £7.50" but received just over half of that

Ok, this is going to be difficult without payslips - but if your understanding is that your pay is £7.50 per hour, and you're working 15 hours - depending on a lot of things, there might be elements of tax and national insurance - you might also be on the wrong tax code. But you really need your payslips to make any sense of why what is going into your bank doesn't match what you think you should be receiving.

If that's your weekly pay, you would only be on something like £5500 annually, so you shouldn't be paying any tax at all - so it could be incorrect coding.
(edited 7 years ago)

If you are only 17 the rate of pay is relevant to the living wage which is £3.87 per hour

look here

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Reply 18
Original post by Sundial1306
If you are only 17 the rate of pay is relevant to the living wage which is £3.87 per hour

look here

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

Yeah that is the minimum but she told me it was £7.50 and I signed a piece of paper stating that I would be paid £7.50

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending