The Student Room Group

Attending an American university

Recently started a level and I would absolutely kill to attend an American universityHas anyone got any tips or important points, regarding requirements and financial aid especially, that could help me out.

Feel fre to personal message me

Thank you
You'll be unlikely to qualify for financial aid.

If you really want to go to the US, get started on studying SATs/ACT. There are test taking methods that can boost your score. Also, prep for SAT IIs if you are applying for sciences.

Get an idea of which schools you are interested in now, so you know what you have to aim for.
Original post by MaccaWare
Recently started a level and I would absolutely kill to attend an American universityHas anyone got any tips or important points, regarding requirements and financial aid especially, that could help me out.

Feel fre to personal message me

Thank you

Hey,

The main factor preventing international students from studying in the US is lack of financial aid. It's incredibly expensive and there's very few options for getting scholarships/financial aid. Look around as much as you can, apply to everything you're eligible for. This is usually directly from the university you're planning to attend.

In the US, doing volunteering and having a tonne of extra-curriculars is very common. Showing leadership skills (e.g. spearheading some sort of club, academic project, etc) is very useful, particularly for top-tier schools. The requirements you'll be looking for will vary wildly, it all depends which universities appeal to you the most. Figure out those universities, or potential states you'd be happy living in, and you'll have a good idea of the requirements you'll need.

Hope this helps,

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Reply 3
If you really, really want to go and need financial aid you either need to be a superstar (for the top tier schools that will meet full need) or a very strong student willing to look at less famous unis and places. The farther from the places that you have heard of that you are willing to look the more likely you are to find a place that will want you enough to give you financial aid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending