The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Wanna quit uni

So I've jsut started my third year and I wanna quit, I don't like my course and I just dont wanna do the work and I feel likes theres no point in me being there its not even worth it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As you are in your third year, I would say, almost certainly, it is better to complete it even if you decided now that it isn't for you - to ensure maximum value of time. Yes it means another not so enjoyable year - but then it will mean the last 2 years haven't essentially been wasted.

I think there is a higher chance of regretting quitting now, than regretting completing the degree (providing you successfully complete it of course).
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
What degree?
You have 1 year left so just hang in there.
Ok, quit. You're an adult so you can make your own decisions. Just make sure you've thought through all the implications. Without knowing any more information there's not much we can say.
I'm doing computer science and I didnt do well last yr I wanna get a degree but its just too much work I feel like I cant do it
Original post by kaylababesxx
I'm doing computer science and I didnt do well last yr I wanna get a degree but its just too much work I feel like I cant do it

well what would you do this year instead? if youre planning on quitting and just waiting this year out so you can start a new course next year then surely you may as well finish this degree first.
The thing is my parents wont let me do another course they'll just want me to get a job once I've finished or even if I don't finish and I don't wanna work
The thing is my parents wont let me do another course they'll just want me to get a job once I've finished or even if I don't finish and I don't wanna work

hmm dont you think it would be best to finish your course considering its only one more year as having a degree may help you in getting a better job? Alternatively have you thought about doing an apprenticeship or something? What type of job do see yourself doing?
I dont think that I'm gonna pass this course though :frown: and I dont wanna do an apprenticeship thats why I went to university in the first place and I guess just an I.T job cos thats what I'm doing right now
I dont think that I'm gonna pass this course though :frown: and I dont wanna do an apprenticeship thats why I went to university in the first place and I guess just an I.T job cos thats what I'm doing right now

what do you think youre sitting on atm? dont you think its worth working really hard for one year in order to get a good degree?

Is an I.T. job what you want? remember that its your life, not your parents' life. Don't just go into a job next year to keep them happy. Do what you want to do :h:
Its upto you, its another 9k for another year =/
I'm not really thinking about the money and I know that I should work hard but I just have no motivation for it and the reason why I wanna do an I.T job is cos its all that I've been doign for the past few years and all that I know really
I would love to get at least a 2.1 but I feel like I'm not smart enough
I'm not really thinking about the money and I know that I should work hard but I just have no motivation for it and the reason why I wanna do an I.T job is cos its all that I've been doign for the past few years and all that I know really

you have to work for 50 or so years though so please pick something you enjoy doing.

Im assuming you went to uni at 18 so you're still only 20 years old. You have plenty of time to train and do whatever job you want to do, you're definitely not stuck in IT just because its the area your degree was on.

Is there careers staff or something similar at your university who you could talk to about this?
It's better for you to finish your degree so you can at let say you have a degree. You want to do another course, why don't you do a masters in it as it's only on year? This will open opportunities for you in that field also.

Think it through, properly before you drop out.
Reply 15
Don't make a decision too quick that you've to regret it later!
I dont really want to speak to anyone at university abot it cos then they will just think if I'm not committed to this course then kick me off it and I would like to do a different course but my A levels are related to this so I'd have to do different A levels. Also if I do a masters it will have to be related to I.T.
Reply 17
I dont really want to speak to anyone at university abot it cos then they will just think if I'm not committed to this course then kick me off it and I would like to do a different course but my A levels are related to this so I'd have to do different A levels. Also if I do a masters it will have to be related to I.T.

Do a different A'levels because it's a matter of your entire life!

Hey, join the club. Also in third year and ****ing hating it. For starters I did a year 0, and most of my friends from first year what now graduated and I barely know anybody here now. I have completely lost motivation to study my degree really. I feel like I have a mountain of work to do this year.

Don't be too disheartened by a bad result last year. One of my friends who was in final year last year got a bad grade in 2nd year and still managed to come out with a 2:1 overall. So it is definitely not impossible for you to come out with a good degree still.

People like us haven't got much choice other than to grind it out and just finish it. It is only another 6-7months including the exam season and taking out the breaks. No time at all when you think about it.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Hey, join the club. Also in third year and ****ing hating it. For starters I did a year 0, and most of my friends from first year what now graduated and I barely know anybody here now. I have completely lost motivation to study my degree really. I feel like I have a mountain of work to do this year.

Don't be too disheartened by a bad result last year. One of my friends who was in final year last year got a bad grade in 2nd year and still managed to come out with a 2:1 overall. So it is definitely not impossible for you to come out with a good degree still.

People like us haven't got much choice other than to grind it out and just finish it. It is only another 6-7months including the exam season and taking out the breaks. No time at all when you think about it.

i am in the same position

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending