The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yua
well now you understand the competition. these universities aren't easy to get into, don't call someone a dick whom is probably more motivated than you and has an incredibly strong work ethic. just up your game. work harder. you sound like a lame rn.

I stand by Vinai TBH, a lot of people come here just to gloat about themselves - it's a bit of an arrogant thing to do imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 181
hey I was planning on applying for Accounting and Finance. But I have 3 AS level subjects (phys chem and maths) in which i got all As. Do you guys think i'll be at a disadvantage because i have only 3 AS and A2 subjects? TIA
Reply 182
Original post by gmahapatra
I stand by Vinai TBH, a lot of people come here just to gloat about themselves - it's a bit of an arrogant thing to do imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you can feel one of two ways - jealous or motivated. why be the former? who wants to be a salty loser their whole life? just be motivated, there are people out there with amazing grades and as a student you should aspire to get those grades.
Original post by JohnGreek
Aye I second this

People like gmahapatra are the ones who ultimately come on here complaining about how competitive everyone is and how it appears that everyone is better than them and how they wished that they hadn't firmed LSE and how they should have gone to Durham etc. If one's response is to crawl into a hole and start calling people rude/arrogant, then I wouldn't apply to LSE (or any other top uni for that matter).

Slow down, I never claimed anyone is better than me, and nor that I intend to crawl into a hole. I'm saying a lot of people tend to show up purely to be praised by others, I think we should find happiness in ways other than the approval of others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yua
you can feel one of two ways - jealous or motivated. why be the former? who wants to be a salty loser their whole life? just be motivated, there are people out there with amazing grades and as a student you should aspire to get those grades.

That's a totally fair argument, and I admire those who achieve their potential. But I disagree with the concept of coming onto forums to gloat about your achievements - someone with 11A*s might make someone with 11Cs feel terrible about his grades, but who knows what that someone's circumstances were?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
That's a totally fair argument, and I admire those who achieve their potential. But I disagree with the concept of coming onto forums to gloat about your achievements - someone with 11A*s might make someone with 11Cs feel terrible about his grades, but who knows what that someone's circumstances were?

Posted from TSR Mobile

of course they're going to feel bad, that's human nature and it's a good thing. if you have 11C's and your friend has 11A*'s, then try and get all As at AS rather than sitting on a forum getting angry at someone who, most likely, studied for many many hours. they deserved it. the best way to get what you want in life is to deserve it. if you chill with your friends or watch youtube all day you shouldn't be complaining when the guy who sits on his ass for many hours every single day and revises gets higher grades than you. wouldn't it be crazy if the people who didn't put in any work got the highest grades? but that's not how the universe works. if you're upset about your grades, tough. just work harder next time round and prove everyone wrong and most importantly prove to yourself that you're not an idiot. its such a simple concept but bitter people will always make excuses.
Original post by Yua
of course they're going to feel bad, that's human nature and it's a good thing. if you have 11C's and your friend has 11A*'s, then try and get all As at AS rather than sitting on a forum getting angry at someone who, most likely, studied for many many hours. they deserved it. the best way to get what you want in life is to deserve it. if you chill with your friends or watch youtube all day you shouldn't be complaining when the guy who sits on his ass for many hours every single day and revises gets higher grades than you. wouldn't it be crazy if the people who didn't put in any work got the highest grades? but that's not how the universe works. if you're upset about your grades, tough. just work harder next time round and prove everyone wrong and most importantly prove to yourself that you're not an idiot. its such a simple concept but bitter people will always make excuses.

No okay fair enough, I understand that if someone's done no work they don't deserve success. But on the other hand, if someone has faced adversity or other things outside of their control they can't be held responsible for their results entirely. And whilst it's admirable to get good results, we should always remember that not everyone is equally fortunate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 187
No okay fair enough, I understand that if someone's done no work they don't deserve success. But on the other hand, if someone has faced adversity or other things outside of their control they can't be held responsible for their results entirely. And whilst it's admirable to get good results, we should always remember that not everyone is equally fortunate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no one is upset at people who get poor results for reasons beyond their control. i never said that. but i'm sure those people won't feel bad about getting poor grades, because its justified if they really did everything that was in their control. its the people who don't work hard, get poor grades, and then act salty towards people who worked incredibly hard and have the top grades.
Original post by Yua
no one is upset at people who get poor results for reasons beyond their control. i never said that. but i'm sure those people won't feel bad about getting poor grades, because its justified if they really did everything that was in their control. its the people who don't work hard, get poor grades, and then act salty towards people who worked incredibly hard and have the top grades.

Okay yes I agree. But the root of this argument lies in my irritation with people who go onto forums to gloat about their results, and maybe that's wrong, but oh well - we all fall prey to cognitive bias sometimes ;P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
Finally finished my personal statement, however my 'extra activities' such as sport etc and more about me is only about 10% of my personal statement and LSE states to write about 25%, do you think this will be a big problem and will they think I'm not well rounded enough?? Or am I paying to much attention to the percentages

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nc_x
Finally finished my personal statement, however my 'extra activities' such as sport etc and more about me is only about 10% of my personal statement and LSE states to write about 25%, do you think this will be a big problem and will they think I'm not well rounded enough?? Or am I paying to much attention to the percentages

Posted from TSR Mobile

For what course?

25% is just a general idea, you dont have to write 25% if you dont want to. So as long as you write useful things as a whole, then it should be good. :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by Fbiemad
For what course?

25% is just a general idea, you dont have to write 25% if you dont want to. So as long as you write useful things as a whole, then it should be good. :smile:

Thank you! And accounting and finance

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a Scottish student and just finished my application... I've got straight As so my grades are good but I'm applying for different things at different unis. I've applied to lse for government and history but I'm applying for economics and history elsewhere so guess that'll stand against me straight away for mentioning another subject 😔
Reply 193
I ll be taking bsc finance, I dont have any finance related extra activity, will it be okay to mention that I'm currently in the semifinals of a entrepreneurship game(we're starting up a small business)? Will it be irrelevant?
Reply 194
Hi for those who have submitted their applications to LSE, has anyone received a welcome email from LSE? :redface:
I applied for international relations yesterday. The wait is going to be sooooo long!
I want to refer to hedge funds in my PS. Is this okay for an Economics PS or would it only be suitable for Finance applicants?
Will almost everyone applying to LSE bsc economics have further maths at AS or A level because I didnt take it on and now im panicking.
Original post by james1221212
maths , further maths, econ and physics

Same👍🤔
Reply 199
When is a good time to send a UCAS application off ? I am also applying to LSE for Management.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending