The Student Room Group

I'm ******

Abstracted email I sent------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'm 16 years of age and am currently out of school.I took my GCSE's and this 1st year of A-Levels a year early and am currently in year 13; however, my school (*******) decided not to take me on for the seconds year of A-levels.I still question the decision but I've started scouring London for a placement. Of all the colleges I looked at they either didn't take on year 13's from year 12 / wanted me to restart year 12, stopped admitting new students or didn't do all the courses I wanted to finish off.
The A-Levels I studied were Physics, Computer Science and Mathematics, with the boards OCR, OCR and Edexcel - respectively.I also took a Pre-U course called Global Perspectives & Research (GPR) with the exam board CIE.- I've attached all of my GCSE / AS Grades, Physics and Computer Science are linear so there are no results.I also looked at independent sixth forms, and was offered scholarships at 3 with another pending, however they were all partial (25-60%) and still infeasible.The pending offer is of a full scholarship, it does seem unlikely I will get it...During the time I've been at home I've spent time working on the 2nd year of content and have gotten quite far through.I don't wish to finish my A levels at home, however, at the moment it seem's like the only way I'll be able to.I've also started my UCAS application for university and am nearing completion, but applying independently without a college would my application be as strong?Where would I get a reference for my UCAS?
What should I do now? It's now the end of September and I doubt I'll find a school now.If I studied independently would it be just as easy to get my Exams done? Also, physics requires practical experiments to be conducted, I don't know if I'd just be able to do it at home or whether i'd need to go to some sort of centre.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------In maths i got the marks:C1| 70%C2| 92%C3| 76%i got an M2 in GPR
Original post by imfked
Abstracted email I sent------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'm 16 years of age and am currently out of school.I took my GCSE's and this 1st year of A-Levels a year early and am currently in year 13; however, my school (*******) decided not to take me on for the seconds year of A-levels.I still question the decision but I've started scouring London for a placement. Of all the colleges I looked at they either didn't take on year 13's from year 12 / wanted me to restart year 12, stopped admitting new students or didn't do all the courses I wanted to finish off.
The A-Levels I studied were Physics, Computer Science and Mathematics, with the boards OCR, OCR and Edexcel - respectively.I also took a Pre-U course called Global Perspectives & Research (GPR) with the exam board CIE.- I've attached all of my GCSE / AS Grades, Physics and Computer Science are linear so there are no results.I also looked at independent sixth forms, and was offered scholarships at 3 with another pending, however they were all partial (25-60%) and still infeasible.The pending offer is of a full scholarship, it does seem unlikely I will get it...During the time I've been at home I've spent time working on the 2nd year of content and have gotten quite far through.I don't wish to finish my A levels at home, however, at the moment it seem's like the only way I'll be able to.I've also started my UCAS application for university and am nearing completion, but applying independently without a college would my application be as strong?Where would I get a reference for my UCAS?
What should I do now? It's now the end of September and I doubt I'll find a school now.If I studied independently would it be just as easy to get my Exams done? Also, physics requires practical experiments to be conducted, I don't know if I'd just be able to do it at home or whether i'd need to go to some sort of centre.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------In maths i got the marks:C1| 70%C2| 92%C3| 76%i got an M2 in GPR

Some colleges let you become a private candidate and so you pay and sit your exams there. A few let you do controlled assessments
just look online
why were you kicked out?
What do you want to do? You could stop right now and take an apprenticeship.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
Reply 3
Original post by 2016_GCSE
What do you want to do? You could stop right now and take an apprenticeship.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

Why would I do an Apprenticeship?
Original post by imfked
Why would I do an Apprenticeship?

It's another way around instead of traditional education.

Just search for if there is anything you are interested in pursuing as a career.
Reply 5
Original post by samantham999
Some colleges let you become a private candidate and so you pay and sit your exams there. A few let you do controlled assessments
just look online
why were you kicked out?

I was told attendance as a reason - it was 93%
Original post by imfked
I was told attendance as a reason - it was 93%

thats such a dumb excuse for kicking someone out
what the hell
check canon parmer if you live in london or oaks park
Reply 7
thats such a dumb excuse for kicking someone out
what the hell
check canon parmer if you live in london or oaks park

Thanks, both are fairly close.
Original post by imfked
Thanks, both are fairly close.

email them. if you can don't mention the attendance but if you have a reason for missing days then do so
Reply 9
email them. if you can don't mention the attendance but if you have a reason for missing days then do so

Copied the email I sent to like 100 others to both.
Just says lemme join etc.
Original post by imfked

Not really focused on this but

1. Why did your school decide to drop you at year 12? You dont give us the whole picture.
2. What was their proposed plan as you are meant to stay in educaion or training till 18.
3. What are your parents doing about it?
4. What is it you wish to do after school?
5. In terms of finding a school then nobody is really going to want to take you into year 13. Understandable imo. Also as you poiunted out its very difficult to find the same exam boards.
6. IT depends how confident you are in your own abilities as to whether to enter as a private candidate or just start the year again. These things happen.
7. I would probably just start again, but why the school has decided to let you go seems unexplained.
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
Not really focused on this but

1. Why did your school decide to drop you at year 12? You dont give us the whole picture.
2. What was their proposed plan as you are meant to stay in educaion or training till 18.
3. What are your parents doing about it?
4. What is it you wish to do after school?
5. In terms of finding a school then nobody is really going to want to take you into year 13. Understandable imo. Also as you poiunted out its very difficult to find the same exam boards.
6. IT depends how confident you are in your own abilities as to whether to enter as a private candidate or just start the year again. These things happen.
7. I would probably just start again, but why the school has decided to let you go seems unexplained.

I'm going to enter as a private candidate, there's no reason for me to start again, and literally revisit everything I've learned - for an entire year.
Original post by imfked
I'm going to enter as a private candidate, there's no reason for me to start again, and literally revisit everything I've learned - for an entire year.

OK

You still didnt bother to explain why your school dropped you.

Private is fine, just be wary what unis attitudes are to resits and be confident in your ability to teach yourself.

Quick Reply