The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by BenRichi_
So I was thinking of buying like a mini fridge for my room, for drinks and some food didn't know if anyone thought that was a good idea or not?

Many halls won't allow mini fridges etc in rooms, so you need to check that. However, even if they do allow it you won't need it. Although there's often limited fridge space there will still be enough. I wouldn't spend money on things you don't need and probably won't even be allowed.
Original post by leahdw
Many halls won't allow mini fridges etc in rooms, so you need to check that. However, even if they do allow it you won't need it. Although there's often limited fridge space there will still be enough. I wouldn't spend money on things you don't need and probably won't even be allowed.

Ah okay, how would I check? So nobody you knew had one?
People actually eat pasta and pesto at uni? Never seen it happen in my entire 4 years at uni
People not knowing what they are doing so getting some seriously burned pots & pans!
so you guys know if George foreman grills are allowed?
I have one in my room but have never used it yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by unaManzana

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it depends on specific housing policies. Microwaves tend to be allowed but George Foremans have slightly more risk (ie if you forget to unplug it) Try and ask someone who manages your hall!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read your room rental agreement it will say in there. Your room isnt meant for cooking in, unless its a self contained studio. I'd think they would almost certainly not permit it.
It all depends on your flatmates- common problems include a messy kitchen, flatmates not washing up, limited workspace etc!

However, some of my favourite uni memories were when my house all cooked for each other- we used to have "dinner parties" where one of us would cook and set out the table with crockery and wine etc! :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
Read your room rental agreement it will say in there. Your room isnt meant for cooking in, unless its a self contained studio. I'd think they would almost certainly not permit it.

I wasn't talking about cooking in my room with it lol
I just store it in my room but haven't used it in the kitchen yey

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wasn't talking about cooking in my room with it lol
I just store it in my room but haven't used it in the kitchen yey

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on your accommodation- you dont say what type it is, but your agreement will make clear whats allowed or not.
Don't know what to cook really, and if you have an idea, you don't have the ingredients... I really under packed so I don't have enough pots and pans to be efficient...
Using electric hobs so you can't turn down the heat quickly... Wasn't used to it at the start, but now I can make scrambled eggs as well as I make them on a gas hob :tongue:
Last weekends empty vodka/coke/beer/cider/whatever alcohol you had in the flat despite being at home for the weekend still being all over the worktops
People using your stuff and then instead of washing it up deciding it is stained and binning it without your permission
People not washing up your stuff for over 2 weeks and by the time they get round to it none of the mess coming off
People cooking and spilling sauce/bits of food all over the worktops and not tidying it up for days
The kitchen taps deciding when they feel like working and not working
The oven taking literally 30-45 minutes to heat up to a reasonable temperature
Your flatmates having their friends over for the weekend and declaring the kitchen area to be their friends bedroom for the weekend
The only local shops being a tiny Sainsburys and a Morrisons where the manager seemingly thinks having half the shelves empty of stock is artistic

Oh and I've been at uni for less than 4 weeks
And thats before considering that we have 2 cupboards for 5 (possibly soon 6) of us to store food, pans, plates, cups etc, and that 2 of the others think its perfectly fine to each have a crate* of beer in the fridge at all times *normally at least 18 bottles, and another flatmate who has put metal in the microwave and a full saucepan of still hot food in the fridge.
Original post by BenRichi_
So I was thinking of buying like a mini fridge for my room, for drinks and some food didn't know if anyone thought that was a good idea or not?

A lot of unis forbid the use of mini fridges in bedrooms unless you have signed proof of a medical issue that requires one. Best to check your contract and with your uni to see if you'd be allowed one in the first place
Original post by Elivercury
Depends how you're doing things. If you're cooking completely separately I recommend keeping pots, pans and cupboard food in your room/a locked cupboard. It sounds a bit anal, but no one will mind and it stops someone pinching it while drunk (which will happen). It just prevents fights/arguments and you can always loan it from your room if they're desperate/you're feeling kind.

In my second year me and a few friends had a house and decided to opt for a cooking rota. Generally this worked well and I would recommend it, but three of us were alright cooks, the other was a godawful cook and it got to the stage where I would end up making myself something more edible. We later cut him out and had him do his own shopping/cooking and it worked fine. So yeah, give it a go, but make sure that everyone is going to cook things people like rather than terrible curries that no one enjoys.

Beyond that just try not to set anyone/anything on fire.

Hi, um just wondering but how do these cooking Rota's work? You change people each day? Do you have it stuck to a board?
Original post by ThatsMyGoal
It all depends on your flatmates- common problems include a messy kitchen, flatmates not washing up, limited workspace etc!

However, some of my favourite uni memories were when my house all cooked for each other- we used to have "dinner parties" where one of us would cook and set out the table with crockery and wine etc! :smile:

How is it? Could you explain more? I'm curious
Original post by fatpandaAC
I would like to know what problems you encounter when you are cooking at Uni. Or problems that prevent you from cooking.

Fridge sharing: someone's gonna hog all the space in the fridge, just when you've bought a large slab of steak to eat tomorrow. Solution: get a mini fridge for your room.

Rubbish everywhere and nobody cleans up: solution - eat out or cook in someone else's cleaner kitchen.

Someone borrows your stuff and doesn't return it /clean it: keep your own pots/pans/cutlery/plates in your room. Ask for a £10 deposit if anyone wants to borrow my stuff.

Fortunately, I can cook so the other guys don't mess with me. Not if they want home made butter chicken with freak shake topped with mini marshmallows and mini meringues. Muah ha ha.
Original post by DyingWhale21
Hi, um just wondering but how do these cooking Rota's work? You change people each day? Do you have it stuck to a board?

Hi, this thread is over a year old and the people you're quoting haven't logged on for a long time. If you have a question about cooking at uni then you should make a new thread. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending