The Student Room Group

Exam reform and more: education secretary Justine Greening Q&A: post your questions!

Scroll to see replies

2. If the newly reformed qualifications currently being introduced feature more exam-based learning, how can you ensure that schools do not teach the specifications in isolation, with the aim of targeting results based on a restricted curriculum?
3. What do you propose to do to tackle the growing problem with young people's identity in this country?

CONTEXT: Young people have a growing problem when it comes to deciding who they are or (more commonly) who they want to be. Hence, the number of transgender cases has risen dramatically, as has the frequency of name changes, of purchasing cosmetic surgery, of personality complexes.

What is education doing to help these people make the right life choices within themselves?
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Tsr won't let me rep u either
ARGH :angry:
Are you not going to come up with one of your famous AMA questions?:tongue:
How do you respond to the fact that, in a survey conducted by the NAHT, ASCL and charity Teach First, 4/5 heads and teachers were against the proposed grammar school reforms?

Can you name any qualified bodies/persons who have actually supported any of your governments proposed reforms to the school system (not just grammar schools but also reforming GCSE's/A-Level's)?

Source: http://www.naht.org.uk/welcome/news-and-media/key-topics/organisational-structures/four-out-of-five-heads-and-teachers-oppose-new-grammar-schools/
Would you consider extending tuition fee and maintenance loans to British students who want to study for a degree abroad so that they can take advantage of the lower cost of university in Europe?

Would you consider getting rid of the Equivalent or Lower Qualification (ELQ) policy in its entirety and let everyone have access to student loans if they want to do a second degree, and not just part-time STEM students?
Original post by 04MR17
Are you not going to come up with one of your famous AMA questions?:tongue:

I feel like this thread is way too formal

Spoiler

Reply 26
(1) Linear exams: why don't you just reverse them? The argument was that it better prepares you for uni but uni has modular exams and exams in January so how can you justify them?

(2) Do you agree that the exam system in general is flawed in that it tests your ability to revise and not remember/comprehend what you are being tested for, would you consider verbal test where you can be taken down the garden path on a topic to see how much you can understand and reason instead of just how well you an remember things? If not do you have any plans to make tests more about understanding and less about memory?
With higher tuition fees being introduced, would you like to in the future make it easier for students on low income or government support etc to go to university without ending up in thousand £s of debt?
What is the point in raising tuition fees even further when research suggests a large proportion of students will never pay back their full loan?
Some young people are now taking out loans larger than their parents mortgages in order to study at university, how is this going to be affordable for young people in the long term?
Why does Ofsted try and use a one size fits all criteria when inspecting schools and colleges despite the wide range of different schools that all face their own problems?
Why are teachers who are consistently evaluated to be teaching at below acceptable standards over a number of years allowed to keep their jobs?
There is lots of work being done to boost the achievement of females and ethnic minority groups at schools and colleges, however white males from a working class background consistently achieve the lowest results. Is it possible that schools and colleges regularly running initiatives (however positive there aim) that are either not open to white males or are marketed with a specific focus on other groups may increases the negative attitudes towards education experienced by many in this group?
There is a lot of pressure on young people recently, more so than generations prior, to do well. How will you alleviate the pressure on teenagers and children?

How will you combat the gender gap in education?

How will you help those with learning disabilities, or those in the working class, get better results?

Why do graduates from private schools have priority over those who come from unis? Will you attempt to equalise the balance between them?

Can we get paid to go to school?
I would like to ask youwhat book do you consider buying for the new GCSE 9-1 specification ?
http://www.aqa.org.uk/resources/science/gcse/biology/teach/textbooks
I feel like this thread is way too formal

Spoiler

Oh Cheese. This deserves a million reps. Sadly, I feel that CT will not be taking you to Westminster this time (though it won't be too far for you).
Original post by Athena64
Can we get paid to go to school?
Getting a little bit desperate there...
Original post by 04MR17
Getting a little bit desperate there...

University students in Sweden are paid to go to university, and there is a 99% literacy rate...
Original post by 04MR17
Oh Cheese. This deserves a million reps. Sadly, I feel that CT will not be taking you to Westminster this time (though it won't be too far for you).

My efforts deserve way more than a million reps :colone:
:ahee::sigh: But I want to go to Westminster :cry: :bawling:Can Justine take me pls? :colondollar: :colondollar:
(That's a question :tongue:)
Original post by Athena64
University students in Sweden are paid to go to university, and there is a 99% literacy rate...
Despite chronic problems in their education system. It's a miracle really...
Why is the Government advocating end of course exams for GCSEs and A levels when many universities have adopted a modular approach to their courses, the very format the Government is seeking to end?
My efforts deserve way more than a million reps! But I want to go to Westminster! Can Justine take me pls?
(That's a question)
PRSOM
With a growing proportion of students identifying as something other then heterosexual are there any plans to introduce more rounded sex ed and PSHE lessons which reflect the current challenges students at facing
Reply 39
1. Why do the educational reforms of A level and GCSEs lead to an ever narrowing of skills that count for the exam
Eg No need to speak English to do the English Language GCSE? Science practicals not counting for final grade
2. Why does the government think there should be less coursework. Is the skills learnt in doing coursework not important to University, or Employers (e.g Independent Learning, collaboration, innovation, creativity)
3. Why does the government think that paying teachers by results is a good thing? Has it not reduced exams to teaching to the test, and encouraged the exam tail to wag the education dog? Will it not encourage cheating and extra stress on pupils?
4. Does the education secretary think we should follow China's example and have suicide bars on exam halls because they encourage ridiculous pressures on students?
5. Should students trust the government when thy have broken their word on tuition fees?(Not increasing the threshold in line with inflation, no maintenance grants for the poorest students, which mean they leave uni with the most debts)
6. Do you believe that the government should be more honest in their literature about the maintenance loans as Marin Lewis believes. ( The government has increased costs to parents which they may by 27% and have not explicitly told parents that they have to pay to feed or accommodate their kids because the government will not provide a loan for this).
7. Do you believe the continued increase in tuition fees is fair, considering every generation now is becoming progressively poorer?(IFS report out today)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending