The Student Room Group

University Application Help!

So basically I just recieved my full set of predicted grades of A* Physics A Maths and B in Chemistry. I want to do aeronautical engineering at uni and I have thought about the following 5 universities to apply for, which are Bristol (A*,A,A), Loughborough (A*,A,A), Bath (A*,A,A), Manchester (A,A,A), Kingston (Entry Requirements are fairly low).My question is, would I still be able to recieve an offer from bristol bath and loughborough if one of my predicted grades is only slightly lower.Also, I am thinking that If I dont get any offers I will take a gap year, and was also wondering whether taking a gap year would affect my chances of getting into a top uni. For example, lets say I got 3A*s at the end of the A Level, Will I still be able to apply to these universities and Cambridge during my gap year or willl it lower my chances?Many Thanks for your help.
Reply 1
Original post by Hgdfu
So basically I just recieved my full set of predicted grades of A* Physics A Maths and B in Chemistry. I want to do aeronautical engineering at uni and I have thought about the following 5 universities to apply for, which are Bristol (A*,A,A), Loughborough (A*,A,A), Bath (A*,A,A), Manchester (A,A,A), Kingston (Entry Requirements are fairly low).My question is, would I still be able to recieve an offer from bristol bath and loughborough if one of my predicted grades is only slightly lower.Also, I am thinking that If I dont get any offers I will take a gap year, and was also wondering whether taking a gap year would affect my chances of getting into a top uni. For example, lets say I got 3A*s at the end of the A Level, Will I still be able to apply to these universities and Cambridge during my gap year or willl it lower my chances?Many Thanks for your help.

Yes it's quite possible you will get some/all offers from A*AA/AAA universities with A*AB predictions. But not certain.

If you then get A*A*A* in your results you can indeed withdraw from your 2017 offers and re-apply for 2018. It won't lower your chances and indeed universities don't "bear a grudge" so you are almost certain to get unconditional offers from your original universities. Adding Cambridge at that stage is fine but you would really need to have FM to be competitive. Check their entry requirements.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok Thanks, yeah I think I might just take a gap year where I can do some work experience and do Further Maths and Critical thinking AS levels to help boost it :smile:
Original post by jneill
Yes it's quite possible you will get some/all offers from A*AA/AAA universities with A*AB predictions. But not certain.

If you then get A*A*A* in your results you can indeed withdraw from your 2017 offers and re-apply for 2018. It won't lower your chances and indeed universities don't "bear a grudge" so you are almost certain to get unconditional offers from your original universities. Adding Cambridge at that stage is fine but you would really need to have FM to be competitive. Check their entry requirements.
Do you think that would be a good idea to take a gap year to help boost my chances??
Actually, gap years for engineering is not generally recommended. I remember one of the admissions tutors at my uni saying it affected their decision as a lot can be forgotten in one year. Every little counts.
Reply 5
Original post by ViralRiver
Actually, gap years for engineering is not generally recommended. I remember one of the admissions tutors at my uni saying it affected their decision as a lot can be forgotten in one year. Every little counts.

Not true - it's often recommended and is certainly not going to disadvantage you. Just so long as you aren't spending 12 months on a beach sunbathing...

Imperial: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/careers/exploring-your-options/year-out/
Cambridge: http://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/information/gap-year
Regardless of what's said on the website, this came out of the admissions tutor's mouth. Sure there are definitely good ways to spend a gap year, but with the little knowledge you have before even starting the course, a sandwich year is a better option.

Edit: also the website you linked to for imperial is talking about a year out after you finish your degree not before it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ViralRiver
Regardless of what's said on the website, this came out of the admissions tutor's mouth. Sure there are definitely good ways to spend a gap year, but with the little knowledge you have before even starting the course, a sandwich year is a better option.

Edit: also the website you linked to for imperial is talking about a year out after you finish your degree not before it.

Ah - good spot. My bad. However my Cambridge link still holds though and how about this then from Imperial: (my bold for emphasis)

https://workspace.imperial.ac.uk/registry/Public/Admissions/Undergraduate%20Admissions%20Policy.pdf

"The College welcomes applications from candidates who wish to defer their entry until the following year. This gives the opportunity to spend a year after leaving school either gaining valuable experience in industry or perhaps engaged in some form of social work at home or overseas. Admissions tutors are pleased to advise applicants considering deferring their entry to College. In certain engineering departments a year of relevant industrial experience is particularly encouraged."

Universities are not going to waste their and applicant's time by stating things on their website that they don't actually adhere to in practice. The AT who had a contrary opinion appears to need additional training :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending