The Student Room Group

EPQ worth it??

^^
Original post by aieshacaitlin
^^

In my opinion, the EPQ is worth it. I did mine with AQA, and I feel it was beneficial for number of reasons. Firstly, it allowed me to research and write about a topic I was interested in in detail, which happened to relate to my degree subject. Therefore, it also gave me something extra to write about in my personal statement which helped to demonstrate my interest in and commitment to my degree course. Secondly, doing the EPQ gave me the opportunity to develop a number of skills which are useful for university-level study, including extended essay writing, referencing and public speaking.

I hope that helps :smile:
Doing an EPQ can lower your offer requirements when applying for university. However this is dependent on the university and course you're doing so you'll have to do a bit of research. An example is computer science at Sheffield University where their offer is AAB however if you do an EPQ related to the subject, it gets lowered to ABB.
I'm doing the EPQ and I think it's actually really good to get you thinking outside the box and researching something of your own interest! :smile: although it is extra work, it's not that long and your supervisor helps tons so mine hasn't been a workload at all!
Also you get extra UCAS points, more than you would for a normal AS level for any grade- getting an A on EPQ for example would get you more points than getting an A for an AS level which is pretty cool I guess :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest