The Student Room Group

Low UKCAT score?

I hope everyone who has sat their UKCAT got what they wanted but the reality is many of us didn't we've got the grades, the work experience and most importantly the ambition (at times lol) but somehow, when test day came up we froze and started panicking (like mwah) or underestimated the difficulty of the exam (like mwah). Fear not hopeful medical applicant! Many low/average ukcat scorers get into medicine every year - it's just a matter of patience and if it isn't going to plan a gap year it is! But this isn't necessarily a bad thing... In fact a lot of universities look favorably towards mature and more experience gap year takers.

You know, the TSR medical applicant community isn't representative of the entire pool of applicants to medicine so remember to not beat yourself up. It's pretty tough looking at outstanding candidates with incredible scores and just thinking HOW? lol. But I have to say a part of me is pleased for these candidates because they're proof that it's possible.

I've started this thread to share my ukcat score and update everyone on my UCAS medical journey - so that if I do miraculously get in I can inspire people like myself to not give up.

Here's my score - which is atrocious in comparison to people on TSR but fairly good in the wider pool of candidates.

VR - 590
QR - 650
AR - 610
SJ - 2

total - 1850
average - 617

Let the journey commence...

Please share your medical journey (in relation to ukcat) regardless of whether you're a hopeful or already studying it. :smile:
Reply 1
Hi! Really liked how much I could relate to that intro haha and I'm sure so many people do.
633 average here, although I had really hoped to get something close to 700. Spent so much time on this neglecting school and everything.Which universities are you considering?
Reply 2
Original post by lidiaislam13
Hi! Really liked how much I could relate to that intro haha and I'm sure so many people do.
633 average here, although I had really hoped to get something close to 700. Spent so much time on this neglecting school and everything.Which universities are you considering?

Omg I'm do sorry I've taken ages in getting back to you! :frown: and I'm considering Glasgow Edinburgh Dundee Aberdeen wby?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Nuba123
Omg I'm do sorry I've taken ages in getting back to you! :frown: and I'm considering Glasgow Edinburgh Dundee Aberdeen wby?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's fine! I guess for me it will be Exeter, Birmingham, probably Nottingham. The last one I haven't finalised yet. I don't really know where else to look that has a realistic chance to get me an interview :frown: Don't wanna risk it with PS heavy unis >.<
Reply 4
Hi all,

I'm applying for both GEM and undergraduate medicine this year. My GAMSAT exam unfortunately went a little tits up I feel so the UKCAT was the only option for me as I'm not able to sit the BMAT this year due to moving to Sweden beforehand.

Luckily, I absolutely whored revision and practise questions, using medify, a Kaplan book and also a last minute eBay purchase of the 600Q book and managed to get 2200 (average - 734) with a band 2 in the SJT.

Just remember all, it's never too late to apply for med. I'm 24, took 2 years out after college to travel and work, have lived in Australia, India and Sweden since then and also got a degree in Biology with the Open University 👍🏼 You never know, a year out of education may do the world of good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by lidzi_
It's fine! I guess for me it will be Exeter, Birmingham, probably Nottingham. The last one I haven't finalised yet. I don't really know where else to look that has a realistic chance to get me an interview :frown: Don't wanna risk it with PS heavy unis >.<

Good luck!

I know how you feel. I'm so confused right now. :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by AdamCW
Hi all,

I'm applying for both GEM and undergraduate medicine this year. My GAMSAT exam unfortunately went a little tits up I feel so the UKCAT was the only option for me as I'm not able to sit the BMAT this year due to moving to Sweden beforehand.

Luckily, I absolutely whored revision and practise questions, using medify, a Kaplan book and also a last minute eBay purchase of the 600Q book and managed to get 2200 (average - 734) with a band 2 in the SJT.

Just remember all, it's never too late to apply for med. I'm 24, took 2 years out after college to travel and work, have lived in Australia, India and Sweden since then and also got a degree in Biology with the Open University 👍🏼 You never know, a year out of education may do the world of good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally agree with this I think a year out would be good. I'd much rather focus on school right now and apply for 2018 entry. But I'm still going to give it a go this year so that I know what I need to improve on next time. :smile: All the best with best with your application! Well done on your UKCAT btw. :smile:
Reply 7
Hi, just wanted to know if you ended up applying at the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending