The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bimball
Ah, that's a shame :frown: Can you remind me what part 3 involves, it's been so long ago I can't actually remember, i'm assuming the practical?😂 :smile:

Okay no problem :biggrin:. Part 3 is the exam booklet and is the one which asks for the evaluation, analysis, etc of the practical and has the random Q6 which asks a scientific question. It is the one done under timed conditions in class. :cry2:
Original post by Simonexoxo
Is anyone doing that ECDL course, because my teacher told me it was compulsory, but I want to know if it really is, or how important it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

I done it a few months back and it equates to an extra GCSE so I guess you'll have another one in the bag. But it's extremely easy, we done it all in 2 (full) days and I got an A*, so did a lot of us. It's literally skills to do with microsoft word, power point, excel and them lot combined.
So I'm now starting to apply for 6th form now and after what seems like forever of debating what I want to do, I am doing chemistry, biology and fine art (all a-levels). Now I've got to write my personal statement and my hobbies :/ , been avoiding it for a week becasue I cba aha
Original post by pinkypaz123
So I'm now starting to apply for 6th form now and after what seems like forever of debating what I want to do, I am doing chemistry, biology and fine art (all a-levels). Now I've got to write my personal statement and my hobbies :/ , been avoiding it for a week becasue I cba aha

wow already we have our mocks in november and that's all the info we've been given

You need a personal statement to apply for sixth form?? For the ones I applied to all you did was write down your details (address etc) and that was it really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by patriciaanne
You need a personal statement to apply for sixth form?? For the ones I applied to all you did was write down your details (address etc) and that was it really

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the one I want to go to, yea. What are your chosen subjects?
I'm salx.x and I'm taking 10 GCSEs:
English literature (AQA)
English language (AQA)
Maths (AQA)
Core science (OCR 21st C) [completed]
Additional science (OCR 21st C)
History (Edexcel A)
Sociology (AQA)
Music (Edexcel)
Spanish (AQA)
Religious Studies (Edexcel)

I really, really am not ready for my GCSEs.

My favourite subjects are music and history.

My dream job would be an architect, but my maths is quite terrible and my art skills worse. :colondollar:
For the one I want to go to, yea. What are your chosen subjects?

Biology, Maths and Chemistry

I've never heard of needing a personal statement for applying to a sixth form.
Original post by kat.e
I'm doing as critical thinking too! have you done the unit 1 exam yet or do you do them both in May?

I am doing them both this year! I've just started the course in year 11. How was the unit 1 paper??
I done it a few months back and it equates to an extra GCSE so I guess you'll have another one in the bag. But it's extremely easy, we done it all in 2 (full) days and I got an A*, so did a lot of us. It's literally skills to do with microsoft word, power point, excel and them lot combined.

I literally have no skills when it comes to Microsoft so I wasn't too sure how hard it would be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 791
Original post by sunshine774
Ah well I'm sure you will still do really well!:smile: I got an A* in English lang and lit, and an A in maths. I know the spec has changed, however I am doing a level maths so I could give you some advice!:smile:

Tbh i really dont know that ill be okay because i got a 2+ in english and im expected to get a grade 6
Original post by Zxrxh
Tbh i really dont know that ill be okay because i got a 2+ in english and im expected to get a grade 6

As long as you know why you got a 2, and you know what to do differently in the future, it's fine.
Original post by Zxrxh

What grade is a 2+ and a 6?:smile: I have no idea as I did the old spec last year...
Original post by _gcx
Yes, although I'm looking forward to doing A-levels (due to the fact that the content is more interesting, in the case of Maths and CS), I am aware that there's quite a noticeable jump in the difficulty of content and the workload, and that the jump is too much for some. Thus, I'm going to *try* to work hard from the very beginning.

Don't worry- I did no work for gcses however I have started my as levels and I am making sure that I am working very hard and not slacking off! And it makes it much more enjoyable!:biggrin: And maths a level is MUCH more interesting than gcse (I didn't even like gcse maths...):tongue:

Best of luck for your gcse exams this year and then your a levels!x:smile:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
What grade is a 2+ and a 6?:smile: I have no idea as I did the old spec last year...

You don't get A*/A/B/C etc. Grades anymore. Its now 1-9. 1 is the lowest. 8 is equivalent to a high A* and 9 is like very high to beyond an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by patriciaanne
You don't get A*/A/B/C etc. Grades anymore. Its now 1-9. 1 is the lowest. 8 is equivalent to a high A* and 9 is like very high to beyond an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok thanks- yeah I knew you didn't get A*/A grades anymore; I just wasn't sure what grade the numbers correspond to.:smile: To me it seems very strange!
So does that mean a 6 is a grade B?:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't worry- I did no work for gcses however I have started my as levels and I am making sure that I am working very hard and not slacking off! And it makes it much more enjoyable!:biggrin: And maths a level is MUCH more interesting than gcse (I didn't even like gcse maths...):tongue:

Best of luck for your gcse exams this year and then your a levels!x:smile:

Spoiler

I am planning on taking Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and probably some Philosophy/Humanities subject for my fourth subject.

2 is roughly equivalent to an E (with 1 being roughly equivalent to an F/G), and 6 is roughly equivalent to a B.
Grades 7, 8, 9 are in the A-A* range. 6 is a High B, 5 is a Low B / High C. 4 is a Low C. 3 is a D, 2 is an E and a 1 is an F or G. A 5 is now what is considered a "good" pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest