The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Applied Medical Sciences/Biomedical Science

Hi, I am aspiring to go to UCL to study either one of the two degree choices listed, can anyone tell me how good the courses are and what they entail? I plan to become a biomedical research scientist and then do medicine as a graduate.

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I've no idea about either one of these, I'm applying to Chemical Physics at UCL however :tongue:

Good luck :smile:

Also, join the facebook group, needs more UCL applicants!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/346004315745562/
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Turtlebunny
I've no idea about either one of these, I'm applying to Chemical Physics at UCL however :tongue:

Good luck :smile:

Also, join the facebook group, needs more UCL applicants!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/346004315745562/

Aw thank you for the link, will check it out and also good luck to you too :biggrin:
Reply 3
Bump :biggrin:
Reply 4
Hiya, all I can tell you is that I have applied for AMS as a non-Medicine choice along with Medicine courses, I also intend to do graduate Medicine if I don't make the undergraduate cut :-) from what I can see, the first two yrs of AMS is pretty much a pre-clinical Medicine syllabus, so that will really help for future Medicine studies, UCL is a brilliant uni well-reputated and the course is one of a kind. Good luck with your choices!
Reply 5
Original post by Fleuves
Hiya, all I can tell you is that I have applied for AMS as a non-Medicine choice along with Medicine courses, I also intend to do graduate Medicine if I don't make the undergraduate cut :-) from what I can see, the first two yrs of AMS is pretty much a pre-clinical Medicine syllabus, so that will really help for future Medicine studies, UCL is a brilliant uni well-reputated and the course is one of a kind. Good luck with your choices!

Thank you for replying, hope you get in :biggrin:

What experience did you do to make a well rounded personal statement and stand out from the crowd? I have an opportunity to work for a medical research company but I want to volunteer at my local hospital too. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Rhythmical
Thank you for replying, hope you get in :biggrin:

What experience did you do to make a well rounded personal statement and stand out from the crowd? I have an opportunity to work for a medical research company but I want to volunteer at my local hospital too. :smile:

Thank you :-) I applied with a Medicine personal statement. I assume if they want more specific information from me that they will ask for it :-) I'm a mature student (24) so I have a couple of years of healthcare experience and a bit of an unconventional academic profile. I have volunteered in hospitals and with healthcare related charities (Headway, GHT) and with a not-for-profit organisation for disabled people. I have worked on a medical diagnostic tool and read pretty much every medical memoir book (Guwande, Nuland, Sacks, Marsh etc.) out there. I have also worked in non-healthcare roles and mentioned how they brought me to my interest in healthcare, and talked about some fundraising/community stuff I have done too. But the most important thing about the PS is the quality of your reflection and proving you have realistic expectations of the profession and its demands, and how you evidence resilience and your ability to learn.

I suggest you take all the opportunities that you can. One of my favourite experiences that I couldn't thread into my PS was a Surgical Skills Day I did in Leeds for their National Science Week. I found out about it on EventBrite. I got to use laparoscopy tools to thread Polos onto string, stuff like that. And listen to lectures designed to be delivered to the general public. I didn't benefit from it from the perspective of PS material, but anything that keeps the interest and momentum going is great
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Fleuves
Thank you :-) I applied with a Medicine personal statement. I assume if they want more specific information from me that they will ask for it :-) I'm a mature student (24) so I have a couple of years of healthcare experience and a bit of an unconventional academic profile. I have volunteered in hospitals and with healthcare related charities (Headway, GHT) and with a not-for-profit organisation for disabled people. I have worked on a medical diagnostic tool and read pretty much every medical memoir book (Guwande, Nuland, Sacks, Marsh etc.) out there. I have also worked in non-healthcare roles and mentioned how they brought me to my interest in healthcare, and talked about some fundraising/community stuff I have done too. But the most important thing about the PS is the quality of your reflection and proving you have realistic expectations of the profession and its demands, and how you evidence resilience and your ability to learn.

I suggest you take all the opportunities that you can. One of my favourite experiences that I couldn't thread into my PS was a Surgical Skills Day I did in Leeds for their National Science Week. I found out about it on EventBrite. I got to use laparoscopy tools to thread Polos onto string, stuff like that. And listen to lectures designed to be delivered to the general public. I didn't benefit from it from the perspective of PS material, but anything that keeps the interest and momentum going is great

Ah that's so great to hear, as you are a mature student did you do an Access course?
Reply 8
Ah that's so great to hear, as you are a mature student did you do an Access course?

Yes, that's right! I did Access to Medicine at the Manchester College.
Hi did anyone get an email from UCL for an open day for AMS? Is this compulsory and does this have any relevance to whether I may get an offer?
Original post by Fleuves
Yes, that's right! I did Access to Medicine at the Manchester College.

Yeah that's what I am to do or the Science one, was it challenging? If you don't mind me asking, what other universities did you apply to?
Yeah that's what I am to do or the Science one, was it challenging? If you don't mind me asking, what other universities did you apply to?

The content was fine, but you only have 12hrs per week to study 4 subjects, so you have to really manage your time well! I was working 30hrs a week too, but the course is designed for adult learners with those kind of responsibilities, so there's not much mercy if you don't keep up. For example, you can't resit any modules to boost a grade, and if you fail a module or hand in something late, your grade is capped at a pass. All medical schools that accept the Access - except King's - need you to get straight distinctions,

I am applying for Liverpool, King's and Southampton (Foundation). UCL and Liverpool for BScs (this course and Anatomy and Human Biology at Liverpool.)

I actually had a conditional offer from Liverpool last year. I missed it because I got two merits, both in Chemistry. So this year I am taking a Chemistry A Level in one year and applying as a resitter.

So whatever you do, get those Distinctions because it is almost pointless to have the qualification if you don't (speaking from experience).

Medical schools are fussy about the Access. I would definitely recommend the Access to Medicine over the general Science one, I don't know if anywhere takes the Science one ?
Original post by HotChocolate007
Hi did anyone get an email from UCL for an open day for AMS? Is this compulsory and does this have any relevance to whether I may get an offer?

Congratulations on the invitation! I haven't heard anything since applying and setting up Portico. Perhaps a bit bold of me to say it sounds like a good thing that you have been invited, but I think it does :-)

I would give them a call/e-mail to find out the specifics about attendance.

Best of luck, can I be nosy - what else have you applied for and where? :-)
Original post by HotChocolate007

Hi! I also got the email about the open day... I don't know if to go as I'm really busy with BMAT preparation. The open day is going to take the whole day... so I'm not sure. Would they reject me if I don't go?
Original post by Fleuves
Congratulations on the invitation! I haven't heard anything since applying and setting up Portico. Perhaps a bit bold of me to say it sounds like a good thing that you have been invited, but I think it does :-)

I would give them a call/e-mail to find out the specifics about attendance.

Best of luck, can I be nosy - what else have you applied for and where? :-)

Thanks! I will defo call them but I am stuffed with work!!
The other unis are kings stgeorges bristol and notts for medicine so AMS is my 5th
Original post by mithi98
Hi! I also got the email about the open day... I don't know if to go as I'm really busy with BMAT preparation. The open day is going to take the whole day... so I'm not sure. Would they reject me if I don't go?

Same! Except I have alot of school work. I think the open day might be for everyone the way the email sounded? I'm really not sure if I find out I will let you know!

I dont think they will reject you if you dont go I mean it didnt say it was compulsory
RE open days

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/selection

Have a read on the applicant open days/selection events section, I would assume it is mandatory.
Original post by Fleuves
RE open days

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/selection

Have a read on the applicant open days/selection events section, I would assume it is mandatory.

I think this is not an open day with selection purpose... I mean on their website they say it's for prospective (Y12 and Y13) students... and if it was compulsory they would have stated that.. so I don't really know.
Received an e-mail requesting an additional PS as my PS is for Medicine and I have not applied for Medicine at UCL.

Just to keep others updated with progress
Original post by Fleuves
Received an e-mail requesting an additional PS as my PS is for Medicine and I have not applied for Medicine at UCL.

Just to keep others updated with progress

Same!!
I don't know what to write... as I'm really into medicine...
Also I'm preparing for the BMAT this half term.. and writing a new PS will take time.
What sorts of things are they looking for in PS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending