The Student Room Group

What Uni should i apply to for History?

Applying for history & politics at: Cambridge, Warwick, Exeter (history&international relations), Southampton (safe choice). Need one more Uni to apply for and really struggling to find one.

If one anyone could give me some advice that would be great thankks :u::u:

oh and grades isnt really an issue lol (i am literally the stereotypical TSR user haha)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Strimpy
Applying for history & politics at: Cambridge, Warwick, Exeter (history&international relations), Southampton (safe choice). Need one more Uni to apply for and really struggling to find one.

If one anyone could give me some advice that would be great thankks :u::u:

oh and grades isnt really an issue lol (i am literally the stereotypical TSR user haha)

If you're that clever you shouldn't need help!

Choose somewhere with a course that excites you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Make sure you know about the modules that the unis offer
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot

Choose somewhere with a course that excites you.

But everywhere looks exciting:biggrin::biggrin:

But seriously some of the courses its so hard to work out what it would actually be like studying on them, with generic subheaders like 'an introduction to political science'
Reply 4
Original post by SuperHuman98
Make sure you know about the modules that the unis offer

yeah as I said above its so hard to work out what they actually entail though, only the optional ones where its like 'British Political History 1914-45' actually tell you what you'd be learning about
Original post by Strimpy
But everywhere looks exciting:biggrin::biggrin:

But seriously some of the courses its so hard to work out what it would actually be like studying on them, with generic subheaders like 'an introduction to political science'

Don't rush it. Apply with those four and add your fifth after you have done some more research

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
Don't rush it. Apply with those four and add your fifth after you have done some more research

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school doesnt let people do that for some reason tho :frown:

Think I found a course at Birmingham that looks pretty good anyways so just gonna go for it i think lol

now the waiting begins :cry2::crossedf::dong:
Reply 7
Original post by Strimpy
My school doesnt let people do that for some reason tho :frown:

Think I found a course at Birmingham that looks pretty good anyways so just gonna go for it i think lol

now the waiting begins :cry2::crossedf::dong:

It's nothing to do with your school. It's your application and they don't have to approve the choices you put on UCAS.

As ageshallnot said, put 4 for now. Then add the final one later.

It doesn't cost anything extra to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
It's nothing to do with your school. It's your application and they don't have to approve the choices you put on UCAS.

As ageshallnot said, put 4 for now. Then add the final one later.

It doesn't cost anything extra to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does it work then? because my school told me that I just pay and send the UCAS form off and then thats it.

I know you get UCAS track but didn't realise you could add/change choices on this?
Reply 9
Original post by Strimpy
How does it work then? because my school told me that I just pay and send the UCAS form off and then thats it.

I know you get UCAS track but didn't realise you could add/change choices on this?

You can't change choices but you can add choices (if you haven't used all 5).

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/making-changes-your-ucas-undergraduate
Reply 10
Original post by jneill

ahh ok, thanks so much think i get it now :h::h::h:

will give myself a bit more time before making a final decision then
York or Bristol are supposed to be excellent for history as well as politics I think Bristol is even A* AA due to competition so it depends if you want a safe choice or another competitive choice! I'm assuming Cambridge would be number one if you got an offer, I'm in a similar position but applying to politics with IR, good luck with Cambridge!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Theawesomejem
York or Bristol are supposed to be excellent for history as well as politics I think Bristol is even A* AA due to competition so it depends if you want a safe choice or another competitive choice! I'm assuming Cambridge would be number one if you got an hour, I'm in a similar position but applying to politics with IR, good luck with Cambridge!

Yeah York's a bit far from where i live tho (south west) dont really fancy a 6+ hr drive home lol and hadn't considered Bristol so might have to check that out!

And yeah cambridge would defo be number one if im lucky enough to get an offer, are you applying there as well? The open day was so amazing :lol::smile:
Durham!
Original post by Strimpy
Yeah York's a bit far from where i live tho (south west) dont really fancy a 6+ hr drive home lol and hadn't considered Bristol so might have to check that out!

And yeah cambridge would defo be number one if im lucky enough to get an offer, are you applying there as well? The open day was so amazing :lol::smile:

I'm holding one application back and I think I might bite the bullet and apply for cambridge's hsps course undecided! I live in the north so exeter(cornwall campus) is a 7 hour drive! I'm trying to remind myself the course counts the course counts ahaha warwick at the moment would be my first choice 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bedfordshire
Reply 16
Original post by jamestg
Durham!

nooo please, i went there for an open day and it was an 8 and half hr drive including stops!! :coma::cry:

Original post by Theawesomejem
I'm holding one application back and I think I might bite the bullet and apply for cambridge's hsps course undecided! I live in the north so exeter(cornwall campus) is a 7 hour drive! I'm trying to remind myself the course counts the course counts ahaha warwick at the moment would be my first choice 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you should definitely go for it, if you havent been there trust me its so amazing! And haha, after driving up to durham once i just decided to rule out everything outside a four hour radius lol

and yeah warwick is my second choice after cambridge :biggrin::biggrin:

Original post by the IT MAN
Bedfordshire

they dont even do history lol
Original post by Strimpy
nooo please, i went there for an open day and it was an 8 and half hr drive including stops!! :coma::cry:

It's for the greater good!
Original post by Strimpy

Yeah you should definitely go for it, if you havent been there trust me its so amazing! And haha, after driving up to durham once i just decided to rule out everything outside a four hour radius lol

and yeah warwick is my second choice after cambridge :biggrin::biggrin:

they dont even do history lol

I know lol
York is supposed to be very strong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending