The Student Room Group

Childcare grant help!

Hi,

I've started my first day at uni today and after speaking to other people here i've come to realise im not getting and childcare grant from SFE!! Now i'm in a panic as without it I'm going to have to quit and I cannot afford £650 childcare fee's! even with my partners wage (which is about 20k ish)

What can I do apart from quit?!?!?!

😱😱😱
Have you talked to SFE?
Reply 2
No i've only just realise and im at uni now. I will ring them when i get back but I assume they have made their decision?!
Reply 3
Did you get to the bottom of this issue?
You definitely wouldn't be eligible for child care grant if your partners income is 20k
Reply 5
Original post by mgdz
Did you get to the bottom of this issue?

Well i've had to cut the childcare from monday-friday to 3 shorter days and my sister is having her the rest of the time i'm there, which isnt deal as shes doing an open uni course herself. Oh well! Thanks for asking
Reply 6
Original post by flowers87
Well i've had to cut the childcare from monday-friday to 3 shorter days and my sister is having her the rest of the time i'm there, which isnt deal as shes doing an open uni course herself. Oh well! Thanks for asking

Could you not get the childcare element of tax credits either? Im in the same predicament so im really paniciking .
Reply 7
Original post by mgdz
Could you not get the childcare element of tax credits either? Im in the same predicament so im really paniciking .

no we dont get tax credits as they said we earnt too much in the last tax year because of my wages as well, even though i havent worked now in over a year because of college and now uni! lol!
Original post by mgdz

no we dont get tax credits as they said we earnt too much in the last tax year because of my wages as well, even though i havent worked now in over a year because of college and now uni! lol!

Yeh the household income has to be really really low like under 10k I think *
Reply 9
Original post by murpo
Yeh the household income has to be really really low like under 10k I think *

:frown: i know 20k is a lot of money but when thats the household income for 2 adults and a child its not a lot left over after paying bills and food etc :frown:
:frown: i know 20k is a lot of money but when thats the household income for 2 adults and a child its not a lot left over after paying bills and food etc :frown:

You'd be getting the full loan plus a bursary from your uni.

I know and I agree 20k isn't a high wage but they don't look at outgoings which I can understand seems unfair but it's just government regulations*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending