The Student Room Group

What work experience do you need for dentistry?? HELPPP

What work experience is valuable when applying for dentistry???
Hey,
OK so you need to do some WE to show that you understand what dentistry is about and get a taste of what your daily life might be after you graduate. Now I'm not aware of any uni specifically saying that you need to have done certain amount of hours of WE before applying. So as long you've done some WE ideally at at least 2 different places it should be ok.
I myself did
5 days at a NHS clinic
3 days at a private
3 days in a dental laboratory
This was enough for me to get an offer and I'm sure less would've been fine, as long as you can demonstrate that you have a bit of understanding of what day to day life will be.
You can use your experiences in you personal statement to demonstrate that you have some knowledge and also maybe comment on what you've found interesting.
But personal statement itself is a whole another topic, so I won't get into it.
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by TheHonestOne
Hey,
OK so you need to do some WE to show that you understand what dentistry is about and get a taste of what your daily life might be after you graduate. Now I'm not aware of any uni specifically saying that you need to have done certain amount of hours of WE before applying. So as long you've done some WE ideally at at least 2 different places it should be ok.
I myself did
5 days at a NHS clinic
3 days at a private
3 days in a dental laboratory
This was enough for me to get an offer and I'm sure less would've been fine, as long as you can demonstrate that you have a bit of understanding of what day to day life will be.
You can use your experiences in you personal statement to demonstrate that you have some knowledge and also maybe comment on what you've found interesting.
But personal statement itself is a whole another topic, so I won't get into it.
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thank you so muchhh! :biggrin: Did you apply for all these online or did you go up and ask them if they offer work exp? Also did they give you some form of evidence that you did work exp?
The best way to do it is, to actually go to different dental practices and ask if they offer any work experience. Not everyone will and there is a high chance you'll get turned away couple of times, before finding one who'll be willing to offer you work experience. (We'll at least that's how it was for me) The best place to start would be your own dentist or if you have the luxury of knowing someone who is a dentist that would also be a good start. Online is too indirect in my opinion and it can take a while for people to respond.
In terms of proof, I didn't get anything from the actual work experience place, however I had this small booklet, given to me by my college to record any extracurricular activity in which I ensured that all the hours were recorded and signed off. You could possibly consider something like that, however universities usually don't ask for proof.
If you don't mind me asking, where you looking to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
The best way to do it is, to actually go to different dental practices and ask if they offer any work experience. Not everyone will and there is a high chance you'll get turned away couple of times, before finding one who'll be willing to offer you work experience. (We'll at least that's how it was for me) The best place to start would be your own dentist or if you have the luxury of knowing someone who is a dentist that would also be a good start. Online is too indirect in my opinion and it can take a while for people to respond.
In terms of proof, I didn't get anything from the actual work experience place, however I had this small booklet, given to me by my college to record any extracurricular activity in which I ensured that all the hours were recorded and signed off. You could possibly consider something like that, however universities usually don't ask for proof.
If you don't mind me asking, where you looking to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm looking to apply to Plymouth, Sheffield, Newcastle, Leeds and KCL? Where are you studying? (if you don't mind me asking aha)
The only one out of that list I applied to was Leeds. Got an interview however didn't get an offer. I'm currently a 4th year at Barts. I do hope you get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
The only one out of that list I applied to was Leeds. Got an interview however didn't get an offer. I'm currently a 4th year at Barts. I do hope you get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just out of curiosity, how are you actually finding the course?
Original post by lily.b9
Just out of curiosity, how are you actually finding the course?

It's ok, it can be a bit tedious at times, you feel like you doing things you shouldnt really need to do. 1st 2 years were definitely much more academic, with no patient contact whatsoever, however 3rd year and the current 4th year i's packed with clinics and it's much more enjoyable, we only have lectures once a week. As a student you learn a lot from experience and patient interaction just makes it much more enjoyable.
It's a hard course, as you probably already aware and it puts you out of your comfort zone continuously and helps you to grow as an individual as well as a clinician. But I think most people enjoy some aspects of it. To be fair no course can please everyone at all times.

Quick Reply

Latest