The Student Room Group

Sexual Assault University Of Edinburgh

From a former student to a new student, sexual assault or incidences of such are incredibly high. The University does very little to help you in such instances. I was assaulted and nothing was done, even after providing a multipage description of the incident. No punishment and will I'm sure live a long life of misogyny. Go to police, not the uni board. Do not stay quiet and do not think you are over reacting. Mental scars stick, even when people can't see them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Did you go to the police?

Just because you allegedly fell victim of sexual assault, does that mean the University is ridden with it?

Spoiler

Original post by Dodgypirate
Did you go to the police?

Just because you allegedly fell victim of sexual assault, does that mean the University is ridden with it?

Spoiler

Whether or not the OP's allegation is true, your opinion is the reason it took so long for the police and authorities to take young women and children seriously when they have experienced sexual assault.
Original post by Seamus123
Whether or not the OP's allegation is true, your opinion is the reason it took so long for the police and authorities to take young women and children seriously when they have experienced sexual assault.

Yeah because we might as well "innocent until proven guilty" and due process out the window when it comes to rape allegations.

Rape, as far as I know, is taken extremely seriously by the law, and, in most cases, the authorities do tend to believe the victim.
Yeah because we might as well "innocent until proven guilty" and due process out the window when it comes to rape allegations.

Rape, as far as I know, is taken extremely seriously by the law, and, in most cases, the authorities do tend to believe the victim.

I have been where the OP is, as did many children who were in care, now my age, and not being believed by the police and the authorities was even worse than the trauma of the crime itself.
Why do you think all these public figures who perpetrated acts against young people were never brought to justice before, because no one would have believed them.

That statement is statistically untrue. not to take a page out of your book but, 'source?' prove that rape is taken seriously by the law using reputable crime statistics sources and scientific articles and maybe you'll sound less like a rapist.
He has the right to be not 100% believing because it is the internet after all but yes I would like to see this evidence. Rape is a crap thing and I don't think Dodgypirate believes it is right. The way it is dealt with is a grey area overall tbh which makes me sad but hopefully public awareness will mean more is being done to combat it.
Original post by fernsgrove
That statement is statistically untrue. not to take a page out of your book but, 'source?' prove that rape is taken seriously by the law using reputable crime statistics sources and scientific articles and maybe you'll sound less like a rapist.

How does crime statistic prove whether rape is taken seriously? I imagine conviction rate will be pretty low since it's hard to prove that a rape has occurred. Even still, conviction rates don't tell you how rape is taken seriously. Tbf rape is taken seriously, you don't see police just blowing off rape victims.
Original post by NotGodofWorld
How does crime statistic prove whether rape is taken seriously? I imagine conviction rate will be pretty low since it's hard to prove that a rape has occurred. Even still, conviction rates don't tell you how rape is taken seriously. Tbf rape is taken seriously, you don't see police just blowing off rape victims.

That honestly depends on the police, the victim, etc. it's a known fact (do some research if you want) that sex workers are less likely to be believed by police, and trans women, and people of color. i'm from a country where police are known to be sexual assault perpetrators--i don't know how it works in scotland, but where i'm from if a police officer tries to pull you over on a lonely stretch of road you're advised to call 911 and report to the person on the line that you will pull over at the nearest well-lit gas station because they are so often perpetrators of assault. that is an indicator in my opinion that very few authority figures take rape with the seriousness it deserves. at my university in america, people found guilty of sexual assault by the administration (a felony crime, mind you) receive a 3-month suspension after which they are free to continue assaulting people. again i don't have experience in scotland, but universities worldwide are known for minimizing the seriousness of assault on campuses in order to protect their reputation of safety.
Original post by everythingice
He has the right to be not 100% believing because it is the internet after all but yes I would like to see this evidence. Rape is a crap thing and I don't think Dodgypirate believes it is right. The way it is dealt with is a grey area overall tbh which makes me sad but hopefully public awareness will mean more is being done to combat it.

Of course I don't, it's a despicable act of evil.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending