The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeverLucky
Tbf tho, my 5th option on UCAS is Tourism and Events Management at London Met lol

How come, a bit disrespectful to the uni!
Original post by timster32
How come, a bit disrespectful to the uni!

After the 4th option, there wasn't any uni I particularly wanted to go to so why not just for a laugh. Tbh I'm genuinely interested to see whether they'll give me a unconditional or not with a ChemEng PS 😂
GCSE 1A*6A2B
AS
Maths - A
Physics - A
Chemistry - A
Further maths - C (I hate D1)

Should I take all 4 subjects to A2 or study A2 maths, physics and Chemistry and retake AS further maths?

I know that I also need a good personal statement which I am working on but I don't think I will be able to apply to the Cambridges and the Imperials
After the 4th option, there wasn't any uni I particularly wanted to go to so why not just for a laugh. Tbh I'm genuinely interested to see whether they'll give me a unconditional or not with a ChemEng PS 😂

I doubt it but it will say a lot about the uni if they do!
Original post by Chemgawd99
GCSE 1A*6A2B
AS
Maths - A
Physics - A
Chemistry - A
Further maths - C (I hate D1)

Should I take all 4 subjects to A2 or study A2 maths, physics and Chemistry and retake AS further maths?

I know that I also need a good personal statement which I am working on but I don't think I will be able to apply to the Cambridges and the Imperials

If you don't want to go to somewhere like Cambridge or Imperial then you should be fine with 3 A-Levels. It's about quality not quantity so as long as you meet the entry requirements with 3 A-levels, you'll be good to go. Good luck!
Original post by timster32
I doubt it but it will say a lot about the uni if they do!

I do feel bad but London Met did become a bit of a joke within our friend group. I do wonder if they do get a fair few candidates who applied there as a joke alongside something like Medicine...
If you don't want to go to somewhere like Cambridge or Imperial then you should be fine with 3 A-Levels

You'd be fine with 3 A-levels at Cambridge or Imperial...
Tbf tho, my 5th option on UCAS is Tourism and Events Management at London Met lol

Your jokes are getting boring
Original post by DarkEnergy

Not really, unless you stand out somehow.

From imperial site:
All applications that meet the minimum grade requirement of A*A*A will be considered.Actual offers may vary and the majority of offers are A*A*AA
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
Not really, unless you stand out somehow.

From imperial site:
All applications that meet the minimum grade requirement of A*A*A will be considered.Actual offers may vary and the majority of offers are A*A*AA

That's because most applicants have 4 A-levels. But 3 will not disadvantage you and are becoming increasingly common as many schools don't allow you to do more than 3.

Over 20% of engineering applicants accepted at Cambridge in 2014 had "only" 3 A-levels. Yes it's a minority but still a significant number, and it was up 5% on the previous year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DarkEnergy

Yeah my wording wasn't the best and I should have expanded what I meant. I apologise. What I meant was a significant number of students would either exceed their offer or have 4 A-Levels especially with subjects such as Chemical Engineering where a lot of applicants would offer FM as well. Imperial do also say they usually make offers of A*A*AA to applicants.
While having 3 A-levels is perfectly fine (and would usually be the offer at Cambridge), there is an advantage of having something like Chemistry, Maths, FM and Physics instead of just Chemistry, Maths and Physics especially with ChemEng where it's highly competitive at Imperial and where NatSci/Eng is highly competitive at Cambridge.
Original post by OGFakiie
Your jokes are getting boring

Is it a joke if I've actually done it tho? Sorry, I'll stop mentioning it lol
Hey,
Thanks for posting this thread and for the links. Really useful! :biggrin:
I'm planning on applying to Manchester, Surrey, Nottingham and Sheffield. I can't really think of a fifth option so I may just leave it as that. :smile:
RE the discussion on 3 or 4 A levels, I really don't think it matters at all if you are a top candidate. Imperial aren't going to turn away a guy with AAA at AS, and A*A*A* predictions and a great personal statement + reference for a guy who also does further maths but got all B grades. Obviously if the second guy got 4 A's with A*A*A*A* predictions, he'd win. But don't worry.
Yeah my wording wasn't the best and I should have expanded what I meant. I apologise. What I meant was a significant number of students would either exceed their offer or have 4 A-Levels especially with subjects such as Chemical Engineering where a lot of applicants would offer FM as well. Imperial do also say they usually make offers of A*A*AA to applicants.
While having 3 A-levels is perfectly fine (and would usually be the offer at Cambridge), there is an advantage of having something like Chemistry, Maths, FM and Physics instead of just Chemistry, Maths and Physics especially with ChemEng where it's highly competitive at Imperial and where NatSci/Eng is highly competitive at Cambridge.

It obviously does make a stronger application to have the 4 A-Levels on there, but it isn't a deal breaker and definitely isn't a requirement. This is particularly true with Cambridge, where getting entry is largely based on your interview performance and not your academics.
Original post by ChemEngGrad
It obviously does make a stronger application to have the 4 A-Levels on there, but it isn't a deal breaker and definitely isn't a requirement. This is particularly true with Cambridge, where getting entry is largely based on your interview performance and not your academics.

I never said it was. However, jneill did mention before that 20% of Cambridge applicants to Engineering had 3 A-level compared to 4 so while it isn't a deal breaker, there is an advantage if you do 4 I would say. However, I disagree with your second point. Cambridge views the whole application holistically so the interview does not matter more than the other aspects of your application - it's all viewed in relation to each other.
I never said it was. However, jneill did mention before that 20% of Cambridge applicants to Engineering had 3 A-level compared to 4 so while it isn't a deal breaker, there is an advantage if you do 4 I would say. However, I disagree with your second point. Cambridge views the whole application holistically so the interview does not matter more than the other aspects of your application - it's all viewed in relation to each other.

It's very likely the other aspects of the applications for most candidates will be nearly identical, this is why I say the interview holds a lot of importance. When I was applying to uni, there were candidates with 3As getting offers to Cambridge, and there were candidates with all A*s not getting in, so viewed holistically or not, there are very specific character traits they look for at interview.

Yep the holistic thing is important.

Original post by ChemEngGrad
It's very likely the other aspects of the applications for most candidates will be nearly identical, this is why I say the interview holds a lot of importance. When I was applying to uni, there were candidates with 3As getting offers to Cambridge, and there were candidates with all A*s not getting in, so viewed holistically or not, there are very specific character traits they look for at interview.

The interview is not more important than anything else - I used to think it was TBF but the Cambridge ATs and various stats indicate otherwise. Everything is taken into account. For example, an "average" interview can be offset by strong academics. And yes 100% UMS across the board but a bad interview may not get an offer.

However the 3 v 4 A-level thing is slightly different for ChemEng vs "general" engineering at Cambridge because the nature of the course means that many will have Maths & FM, plus Physics and Chemistry.
predicted A*A*AB (b in fm :frown: could I still apply to imperial??)
Original post by Chemgawd99
predicted A*A*AB (b in fm :frown: could I still apply to imperial??)

I don't see why you couldnt, those sets of grades are strong. However, is there no way to ask your teachers for an A prediction in FM?

Quick Reply

Latest