The Student Room Group

Students stage a walkout in protest over consent classes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WBZ144
See folk? This was exactly what I was getting at. Certain people are of the mentality that if they were "led on", they are entitled to have sex with someone who revokes consent "last minute". People like that exist on university campuses too.

the problem with the course though, is not that the problem its trying to solve does not exist.

People on this thread can argue about the level of rape, but to be honest, even a single rape is to much.

The problem is that the 10 minute course, is not going to change the poster you were replying to's, mind. He has that attitude deeply rooted from many years of development / influences, and a 10 minute course will do nothing to change it.

Ideally his education should have been better in the first place, but as its not.. only a prolonged change or a major set of new life experiences are going to change his outlook on sex/consent.

A 10 minute course is going to make him annoyed, but not change his view.. and its going to make those who already agreed with the courses subject matter happy, and pat them selves on the back. The outcome will only be a bunch of students who feel like they are tackling a problem, when really they are just putting on a show.
Original post by WBZ144
See folk? This was exactly what I was getting at. Certain people are of the mentality that if they were "led on", they are entitled to have sex with someone who revokes consent "last minute". People like that exist on university campuses too.

That's not what he said, though. If a girl has taken off her clothes and is engaging in intimate acts of a sexual nature, it's not wrong for the man to assume she's initiating and giving the go-ahead for the next step. If she then says no, or physically refuses him, it would obviously be rape if he continued anyway. But if she doesn't do this, what is the guy to think? Not all consent is verbal. Physically leading a person on at this stage can be a form of consent in itself, for both parties.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yudothis
So how do you explain the rape epidemic at colleges?

What rape epidemic? I'm pretty sure there isn't one, unless you have a source to prove otherwise?
"Men need to be taught not to rape" is so very sexist but some how is an allowable thing to say.

What about "all blacks need a class on not stealing things"? Or what about "all germans need a class on how to not mass murder jewish people"? You just wouldn't get away with it but some how it's OK to tar all men with the same brush.

That said I just wouldn't attend the class compulsory or not.I don't think it should be taught at uni at all. Perhaps it should be a section of the sex ed classes in primary school but I think even then I probably understood.

In the interests of equality do these classes also teach women what consent means and the fact they can't withdraw it after the act and the impact of false rape allegations?
Original post by MildredMalone
What rape epidemic? I'm pretty sure there isn't one, unless you have a source to prove otherwise?

There's one in Sweden, but Feminists refuse to acknowledge that one.
Original post by 999tigger
If it wasnt compulsory then it makes them real drama queens for attending just to walk out.

Except it's tagged onto the end of a compulsory according to law talk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dodgypirate
There's one in Sweden, but Feminists refuse to acknowledge that one.

Yup, they ignore real issues like that and focus on fictional ones, like "one in five women at university will be raped."
Original post by Dandaman1
That's not what he said, though. If a girl has taken off her clothes and is engaging in intimate acts of a sexual nature, it's not wrong for the man to assume she's initiating and giving the go-ahead for the next step. If she then says no, or physically refuses him, it would obviously be rape if he continued anyway. But if she doesn't do this, what is the guy to think? Not all consent is verbal. Physically leading a person on at this stage can be a form of consent in itself, for both parties.

Look at his response to me. Clearly he thinks that a girl should not be able to change her mind.
Original post by WBZ144
Look at his response to me. Clearly he thinks that a girl should not be able to change her mind.

Have you missed this part?

"If she then says no, or physically refuses him, it would obviously be rape if he continued anyway."
Original post by blue n white army
"Men need to be taught not to rape" is so very sexist but some how is an allowable thing to say.

What about "all blacks need a class on not stealing things"? Or what about "all germans need a class on how to not mass murder jewish people"? You just wouldn't get away with it but some how it's OK to tar all men with the same brush.

That said I just wouldn't attend the class compulsory or not.I don't think it should be taught at uni at all. Perhaps it should be a section of the sex ed classes in primary school but I think even then I probably understood.

In the interests of equality do these classes also teach women what consent means and the fact they can't withdraw it after the act and the impact of false rape allegations?

The classes are gender neutral and voluntary but this isn't about you. Even if you understood at primary school, there are still plenty of other school kids who are pressured into losing their virginity before they are comfortable with and into doing certain sex acts that they don't want to do.
Original post by fallen_acorns
the problem with the course though, is not that the problem its trying to solve does not exist.

People on this thread can argue about the level of rape, but to be honest, even a single rape is to much.

The problem is that the 10 minute course, is not going to change the poster you were replying to's, mind. He has that attitude deeply rooted from many years of development / influences, and a 10 minute course will do nothing to change it.

Ideally his education should have been better in the first place, but as its not.. only a prolonged change or a major set of new life experiences are going to change his outlook on sex/consent.

A 10 minute course is going to make him annoyed, but not change his view.. and its going to make those who already agreed with the courses subject matter happy, and pat them selves on the back. The outcome will only be a bunch of students who feel like they are tackling a problem, when really they are just putting on a show.

I did agree with you in my OP, I believe that this should be taught at the same time that kids are given sex ed classes; when they are still in primary school. I'm not a huge supporter of the consent workshops at uni but think that those who staged the walkout are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Have you missed this part?

"If she then says no, or physically refuses him, it would obviously be rape if he continued anyway."

How about you read the rest of the thread and see which user I was referring to? I don't have time for this.
Original post by WBZ144

To be fair if she does those things he was saying then its a pretty clear indication of what she wants.It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that sex is what she wants.Consent doesnt have to be verbal it can be given in other ways.Regardless I think these workshops are a waste of time.Everyone knows what rape and sexual assault is.I highly doubt that anyone who was going to commit sexual assault or rape has changed his mind because they went to a consent class.There seems to be this idea that rape and sexual assault are just misunderstandings.They are not.People who commit them know what they are doing,they just don't care.
Original post by Robby2312
To be fair if she does those things he was saying then its a pretty clear indication of what she wants.It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that sex is what she wants.Consent doesnt have to be verbal it can be given in other ways.Regardless I think these workshops are a waste of time.Everyone knows what rape and sexual assault is.I highly doubt that anyone who was going to commit sexual assault or rape has changed his mind because they went to a consent class.There seems to be this idea that rape and sexual assault are just misunderstandings.They are not.People who commit them know what they are doing,they just don't care.

Am I the only one who thinks the "consent workshops" are patronising to those who know rape is wrong?
Reply 34
Original post by fallen_acorns
Seems largely pointless to me. Not because we dont need the education, but rather that university is far far to late to really change someone (in my eyes)

If a person is going to rape at university.. a short talk at university will not stop them..
It's not about "rape", it is about "consent". There are people who would never dream of physically forcing someone to have sex, but may well take advantage of a drunk friend and not consider it to be "rape".

People need to realise that the absence of an explicit (and current) "yes", is actually a "no".

[video="youtube;oQbei5JGiT8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQbei5JGiT8[/video]
Reply 35
Original post by Dandaman1
Not everyone knows what to do in the event of a fire.
And not everyone knows that the absence of a clear and explicit "yes" is a definite "no".
Which is why they need to be told!
Reply 36
Original post by QE2
And not everyone knows that the absence of a clear and explicit "yes" is a definite "no".
Which is why they need to be told!

Actually the law states reasonable belief so an explicit yes isnt necessary
(edited 7 years ago)
Am I the only one who thinks the "consent workshops" are patronising to those who know rape is wrong?

They are patronising.And it always seems to be aimed at men as well as if they are implicitly the more evil gender.Thats not true.Feminists seem to just be finding ever smaller issues to focus on because there is not actually the need for them anymore in the uk.Most people dont regard women as inferior to men in the west.If they want to do something useful they could help out all their muslim sisters.I for one would like to know why schools in the uk are allowed to segregate girls and boys.
Original post by Robby2312

Well, obviously. But then this user went on to justify raping her if she changes her mind by saying that it's the fault of "indecisive girls" who can't make up their minds.

I'm aware that this is normally the case but there are people who will still deny that rape occurred in cases where it clearly did. We are taught multiple things at university that are already very obvious and not always voluntary, as these classes were. So the people who staged the walkout were being overly dramatic over something that wasn't a big deal to begin with. This begs the question: why specifically choose consent classes to stage the walkouts for?
(edited 7 years ago)

Did you attend the talk ?
Do you know what the content of the talk was?
Do you think its impossible to talk about consent issues without being patronised?

Clearly you are juts trolling as you cna see from the thread there are many people with your viewpoint and you have already acknowledged.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending