The Student Room Group

economics vs physics

Hello, i'm trying to chose my a levels and before i was certain i would take physics but now i think i should take economics as i might find it quite interesting but then i'm not sure if its a good choice and if it pointless if i want to do medicine. The other a levels i want to take are maths,biology and chemistry.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Hello, i'm trying to chose my a levels and before i was certain i would take physics but now i think i should take economics as i might find it quite interesting but then i'm not sure if its a good choice and if it pointless if i want to do medicine. The other a levels i want to take are maths,biology and chemistry.

I take Further Maths, Physics, Economics.

Your other subjects are not essay based so you may find you spend more time on your economics essays like I do.

STEM are always the way...

Economic theory might just kill you, leaving you to dread doing it and prefer your other A-levels...

Other than that Chemistry is a really hard A-level that alot of people complain about.

Biology shouldn't be too hard if you're into that stuff and Physics should overlap nicely with Maths.

Consider other options such as Further Maths?
Original post by Maths is Life
I take Further Maths, Physics, Economics.

Your other subjects are not essay based so you may find you spend more time on your economics essays like I do.

STEM are always the way...

Economic theory might just kill you, leaving you to dread doing it and prefer your other A-levels...

Other than that Chemistry is a really hard A-level that alot of people complain about.

Biology shouldn't be too hard if you're into that stuff and Physics should overlap nicely with Maths.

Consider other options such as Further Maths?

Can you tell me more what economics are like and why would someone not enjoy it and what is the difficulty level and how hard is physics? Gcse physics, i find the content which is to do with forces and things that are like that hard but i like learning about radioactivity,renewable energy and waves are kind of interesting and learning about the eye,x rays and ultrasounds but i dont enjoy learning things like centre of mass,pendulums and circular motion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Go for where your skill set is stronger and what you prefer.
Since you're doing other STEM subjects go for physics, it is quite an interesting subject to learn. :daydreaming:
Economics is very much essay based at A Level, the only maths you need is to calculate percentages, be able to draw graphs and rearrange equations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aamirac
Go for where your skill set is stronger and what you prefer.
Since you're doing other STEM subjects go for physics, it is quite an interesting subject to learn. :daydreaming:
Economics is very much essay based at A Level, the only maths you need is to calculate percentages, be able to draw graphs and rearrange formulae.

rearrange formulae... I can't believe what I'm reading
Reply 5
Original post by Maths is Life
rearrange formulae... I can't believe what I'm reading

Have you never learnt a formula in economics? (I do AQA btw)
Original post by Anonymous1502
Can you tell me more what economics are like and why would someone not enjoy it and what is the difficulty level and how hard is physics? Gcse physics, i find the content which is to do with forces and things that are like that hard but i like learning about radioactivity,renewable energy and waves are kind of interesting and learning about the eye,x rays and ultrasounds but i dont enjoy learning things like centre of mass,pendulums and circular motion.

There is emphasis on pendulums and circular motion in A2 Physics...
Depending on what applied modules you do in maths, M1 includes centre of mass and I THINK that M2 includes circular motion...

I'm really not sure but those things you don't enjoy learning is actually what I'm better at in Physics.
Original post by aamirac
Have you never learnt a formula in economics? (I do AQA btw)

I do OCR but you fact you said rearranging formulae is an absolute joke...
economics is boring as ****

Quick Reply

Latest