The Student Room Group

Has anyone got any examples of Moral Dilemmas?

Hi everyone.

As an extension of my A level Psychology studies, we are going to be producing a research paper based on a topic of our choice. I have decided to look into the concept of maturity and moral dilemmas. However, I need to find a good range of moral dilemmas which could be applied to all ages.

I have got some dilemmas like the heinz dilemma, but I need to find a lot more which can be applied to primary school children, adults and the elderly.

Any examples would be fab!

Thank you :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Alisaurus Cats so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by clucky_chick
Hi everyone.

As an extension of my A level Psychology studies, we are going to be producing a research paper based on a topic of our choice. I have decided to look into the concept of maturity and moral dilemmas. However, I need to find a good range of moral dilemmas which could be applied to all ages.

I have got some dilemmas like the heinz dilemma, but I need to find a lot more which can be applied to primary school children, adults and the elderly.

Any examples would be fab!

Thank you :smile:

Getting either chicken teriyaki or big beef melt from subway, one has waaay more calories than the other.
Reply 3
I remember this one moral dilemma. I can't remember where I got it from, but here it is.

A train is coming towards you. You know how you can change the direction of a train by turning some sort of lever? Well you're right next to one. On one track is 50 people, all random people of all ages that you haven't seen before. On the other track is 10 loved ones, all of whom you have a deep emotional relationship with. Which track do you send the train to?
Original post by Ua3142
Getting either chicken teriyaki or big beef melt from subway, one has waaay more calories than the other.

Haha, yes! :smile:
Original post by Spratty
I remember this one moral dilemma. I can't remember where I got it from, but here it is.

A train is coming towards you. You know how you can change the direction of a train by turning some sort of lever? Well you're right next to one. On one track is 50 people, all random people of all ages that you haven't seen before. On the other track is 10 loved ones, all of whom you have a deep emotional relationship with. Which track do you send the train to?

Thank you. Yes, I was thinking of using one which was similar to that. My issue is that children and adults must be able to understand the dilemma. I might just research older children e.g. 10 years + going up to elderly. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by clucky_chick
Thank you. Yes, I was thinking of using one which was similar to that. My issue is that children and adults must be able to understand the dilemma. I might just research older children e.g. 10 years + going up to elderly. :smile:

Hmm...how about this. Instead of having people on the railway tracks you can generalise it down to their favourite toys that they're quite attached to (eg. 5) vs 10 different toys that they haven't seen? Or you could ask them to choose between 1/2 favourite foods and every other food? Food is important to kids as they're pretty picky :wink:
Original post by Spratty
Hmm...how about this. Instead of having people on the railway tracks you can generalise it down to their favourite toys that they're quite attached to (eg. 5) vs 10 different toys that they haven't seen? Or you could ask them to choose between 1/2 favourite foods and every other food? Food is important to kids as they're pretty picky :wink:

Wow, that does sound like a good idea. Thank you so much, I will look into that. It could work really well! :biggrin:
Should you kill a child who got bit by a zombie

*does this have to be real life.

lol just in case it does, should you kill a child with a terrible contagious virus/disease...
Reply 9
For children isn't there one about eating a marshmallow and not lying or whatever? Someone will know what I mean
assuming you come into a large sum of money which you will only use to help people is it better to use all the money now to help people or to invest it which has risk but a positive expectation in the hopes that you can help more people later.

Quick Reply

Latest