The Student Room Group

BTEC level 3 or A levels ?

I'm in year 11 and I want to become a midwife but I don't know wether to study a levels biology chemistry and phycology or study Level 3 diploma in health and social care .
Helppppp

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jy2020
I'm in year 11 and I want to become a midwife but I don't know wether to study a levels biology chemistry and phycology or study Level 3 diploma in health and social care .
Helppppp

Check which universities you'd apply for midwifery and see if they prefer A Levels or BTEC. For that course I'd say BTEC as you have a higher chance of getting high grades and everyone knows science A Levels are extremely hard which may affect your application.
do A levels cos BTEC's arent well regarded
Original post by kaylababesxx
do A levels cos BTEC's arent well regarded

Not true, all depends on the university and the course. Plenty of my friends got into nursing at good universities with BTEC
Midwifery is a very hard career to get in to, I say go for it but always have a back up career (I'm not trying to put you of midwifery but have a back up in case). I'm doing h&s care level 3 atm, so far it's a lot of work and does give me the opportunity to go into many different careers. Also a lot of university's accept BTEC, it is becoming just as accepted as a levels. If I were you I'd do BTEC, it's a tad easier than a levels and every university that I've looked into accepts them
Original post by bellalalaxo
Not true, all depends on the university and the course. Plenty of my friends got into nursing at good universities with BTEC

Doesn't change the fact that they are not as well regarded as A levels. Imo just do A levels, looks better and probably will give you a greater breadth of knowledge.
Original post by Welshstig
Doesn't change the fact that they are not as well regarded as A levels. Imo just do A levels, looks better and probably will give you a greater breadth of knowledge.

A Levels are more difficult to get the grades so if you want better knowledge then yeah go for it but if you want a more secure chance of your uni place go down the BTEC route
Original post by Welshstig

How? A lot of university's accept BTEC, I was able to do A levels but chose to do BTEC because it's a subject that I'm most interested in, it will still get me my dream job and actually will look better on my university application than a levels would had 🙂
Original post by bellalalaxo
A Levels are more difficult to get the grades so if you want better knowledge then yeah go for it but if you want a more secure chance of your uni place go down the BTEC route

Which means they are more well regarded.
Original post by georgia350
How? A lot of university's accept BTEC, I was able to do A levels but chose to do BTEC because it's a subject that I'm most interested in, it will still get me my dream job and actually will look better on my university application than a levels would had 🙂

They aren't bad, but for top Russel Group Universities, they would much prefer A-Levels over a BTEC. Both require hard work to get a good grade, there is no doubt in that, but I'm just being honest.
OP, If you are going to do BTEC then make sure it is the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma you do which is worth 3 A Levels. The BTEC Level 3 Diploma is only worth 2. The advantage BTEC has over A Levels is the mandatory 200 hours work placement experience in the first year and the same again in the second year. Looks good on your CV and A Level students wouldn't have that.
(edited 7 years ago)
I do BTEC Health and social care, i am in my second year.

Do, what is best for you, i knew BTEC would be best for me as i got some work experience alongside it.

Science A levels are preferred by universities but it does not mean you won't be considered without it.

If you get GCSE science a C+ then don't fret about doing BTEC.

btw, BTEC health and social care as of NOW has some exams, i believe them to be anatomy and physiology aka human biology.

Are you in your first year of that BTEC?
Original post by Blackstarr
Are you in your first year of that BTEC?

Yeah, so far its going good, hows the second year so far?
Reply 15
Original post by jy2020
Helppppp

I'd go for btec if you are 100% sure that you want to be a midwife. But if you might want to be a doctor or work in pharmacy, do A-levels.

Personally, I'd do A-levels because you got more freedom to explore careers.
But the btec might be easier.
Reply 16
A levels:
- More options
- Better regarded by universities. They will always choose the a level student over the btec student if they have identical grades(assuming their extra curricular are equal)

Btecs:
- Easier

This is coming from a BTEC student btw
Yeah, so far its going good, hows the second year so far?

It's stressful but at the same time, i don't have any exams which i am sooo happy about.

:smile:
I'd advice you to do an extended diploma in level 3 health and social care as it counts as 3 A levels. It's more easier as it's coursework and you can easily get distinctions, I know people who've done health and social care and have done work experience at kings college for midwifery and now attend kings college. They got accepted there due to work experience they did there and the distinctions they received. I think your options should vary of course but health and social care links a lot to midwifery, so yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Halzy1234
I'd advice you to do an extended diploma in level 3 health and social care as it counts as 3 A levels. It's more easier as it's coursework and you can easily get distinctions, I know people who've done health and social care and have done work experience at kings college for midwifery and now attend kings college. They got accepted there due to work experience they did there and the distinctions they received. I think your options should vary of course but health and social care links a lot to midwifery, so yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you recommend a level 3 health and social double award as then I could do biology or sociology along side it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending