The Student Room Group

Are there any benefits to doing an additional A-Level Mathematics module?

I was wondering if there are any true benefits of doing an extra module, which would probably be M1 and whether or not it would be worth doing atop my four A-Levels (maths, physics, chemistry, biology).

Thanks.
Original post by AdHominem
I was wondering if there are any true benefits of doing an extra module, which would probably be M1 and whether or not it would be worth doing atop my four A-Levels (maths, physics, chemistry, biology).

Thanks.

If you think you might want to apply for something like physics or engineering at uni and would otherwise have done no mechanics in maths then it might very marginally improve your application but that's a stretch. Otherwise I'd say it was a pointless distraction from your other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Thanks.

It depends what you're applying for at university; if it's physics I would do mechanics, if biology or psychology do statistics, if it's maths then decision probably
Reply 3
lol Why are you recommending decision for Maths? If anything M1 if op is already doing s1/s2
Original post by ozmo19
lol Why are you recommending decision for Maths? If anything M1 if op is already doing s1/s2

I don't know tbf, I only know that mechanics helps with physics. If its maths then surely OP should be doing FM aswell?
Reply 5

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thanks for all your help. I'm in year 12, doing maths (not further). The modules we take are: C1, C2, D1 (AS) and C3, C4 and S1 (A2).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by trythis
The main benefit (for me, I'm taking 15 modules) is that it makes it easier to get an A* overall. For the full A2 level you need 90% over A2 modules and 80% over AS modules, so if you have some spare modules with good grades it makes it easier to swap out poorer-performing modules and get a higher overall mark.

It's actually also quite good fun. Depending on which course you're applying for you might want to take M1 or D2.

I presume you'll be getting an A-Level in further maths as a result of all of those modules. Which ones are you sitting, by the way?
Reply 7

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thanks for all your help. I'm in year 12, doing maths (not further). The modules we take are: C1, C2, D1 (AS) and C3, C4 and S1 (A2).

Your extra module wouldnt be necessary. If you did want to do it, you could always learn it in between finishing a-levels and starting university.

Also, taking M1 will not make it easier to get an A* in a-level maths, unless you do terrible in another unit and do well in m1. There's not much point in doing it imo.
Reply 8
Original post by trythis
I'm doing A-Level Maths and Futher Maths, as well as AS Additional Further.

Last year I took:
C1, C2,
S1, S2,
M1, M2

This year I'm taking:
C3, C4,
FP1, FP2, FP3,
S3, S4,
D1, D2.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do last year? Also, how are you finding decision?
Reply 9
Original post by trythis
I got all A's last year and averaged ~93% over my modules.

I'm self studying decision, and finding it reasonably easy, mainly because I've studied enough computing theory to have come across most of it already.
If you did well in D1 at AS I'd definitely recommend taking D2, it's not much of a step up.

Well done! Thank you, I'll consider it if I do well this year. I'm seriously hoping I do well in C1 and D1 this year. C2 as well, of course, but I would rather get 97 in C1 and 89 in C2 than 90 in both, for instance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Please for the love of God, don't do D2. You'll be laughed at by unis if you only take 2 or 3 applied modules and 2 of them are decision maths.

In regards to taking an extra module, it can help assure you get the grade you want by providing a backup should you flunk one of your applied modules but if you think the extra workload will be too much then it's not worth it, especially if you're only doing single maths where there's not much flexibility with modules anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest