The Student Room Group

4A* and 7A's isn't enough for medicine?

Hi, I've been told by head of the sixth form that my GCSE grades are too low for entry into medical schools and I go to a grammar school which is also another advantage, however, I do come from a 'deprived' area as well which can work in my favour. I don't know what to do! I'm currently taking Maths. Biology and Chemistry for A Levels and volunteer in various places such as charity shops and hospitals and work part time. Should I look for Alternatives? Even then I've always wanted to go into medicine my whole life :/
Original post by K2468
Hi, I've been told by head of the sixth form that my GCSE grades are too low for entry into medical schools and I go to a grammar school which is also another advantage, however, I do come from a 'deprived' area as well which can work in my favour. I don't know what to do! I'm currently taking Maths. Biology and Chemistry for A Levels and volunteer in various places such as charity shops and hospitals and work part time. Should I look for Alternatives? Even then I've always wanted to go into medicine my whole life :/

To be honest, GCSE's aren't the major deciding factor. Do very well in A-Levels and UKCAT/BMAT then you will have a chance. If you don't think that your GCSE's are good then just avoid heavy GCSE med schools.
Reply 2
Original post by Oxidation
To be honest, GCSE's aren't the major deciding factor. Do very well in A-Levels and UKCAT/BMAT then you will have a chance. If you don't think that your GCSE's are good then just avoid heavy GCSE med schools.

I guess that's the plan moving forward, working my a$$ off for A Levels, volunteering and working towards the entrance exams, it's just those thoughts that you have in the back of your mind haha
Original post by K2468

No ur gcses are fine- just make sure ur UCAT is good
Reply 4
Original post by glassanimal
No ur gcses are fine- just make sure ur UCAT is good

It's just the idea of them not being good enough due to going to a grammar school which aren't as favoured as much, but thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by K2468

how is that not enough for medicine?
I thought you could get in with 6 A*-C
I know a few people with less than that and they still got in. It's not all about GCSEs your head of sixth form doesn't know anything...

Look up every medical school website and see their entry requirements and choose the 4 you think you'll stand a good chance of an interview
Reply 7
Original post by iqra2901

Most of the universities have lower requirements but it's going to be really competitive as well so that's another factor
Original post by iqra2901

Good joke!
Original post by K2468
I guess that's the plan moving forward, working my a$$ off for A Levels, volunteering and working towards the entrance exams, it's just those thoughts that you have in the back of your mind haha

Yeah, that's good and I know what you mean. I seriously doubt that your head of sixth form knows everything about Medicine. May I ask in what subjects you got these A's and A*'s in?
Reply 10
Original post by K2468
Most of the universities have lower requirements but it's going to be really competitive as well so that's another factor

Some universities score the GCSE's. 2 points for A*'s and 1 point for an A. Then they score your personal statement and your UKCAT. So you should be O.K with them grades.
Reply 11
Yeah, that's good and I know what you mean. I seriously doubt that your head of sixth form knows everything about Medicine. May I ask in what subjects you got these A's and A*'s in?

I got A* in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and General Studies, A's in Business, History, French, Art, Maths, English Lang and Lit. I was 4 marks off A* in Business, English Language and Literature which I thought would be frustrating but at this stage I'm just trying focusing on A Levels
Original post by K2468
I got A* in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and General Studies, A's in Business, History, French, Art, Maths, English Lang and Lit. I was 4 marks off A* in Business, English Language and Literature which I thought would be frustrating but at this stage I'm just trying focusing on A Levels

They're really good GCSE's. I'd do anything to get those! :smile:
Reply 13
They're really good GCSE's. I'd do anything to get those! :smile:

Thanks!!
Original post by K2468
Thanks!!

Great work! Carry on working hard! :smile:
Original post by K2468

Your GCSEs are absolutely fine, dont know what your head of sixth form is on about. Being from a deprived area wont make a difference if you go to a grammar school sadly.

You will be fine, you will just need to do well in your Alevels and UKCAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending