The Student Room Group

Who would win in a fight between a male Kodiak bear and a male silverback gorilla ?

Okay let me give you some background to why I'm asking this; me and my brother have been having a debate for quite a few years now on which would win in a fight between a silver back gorilla and a Kodiak bear. He thinks the gorilla while I think the bear. So let's look at some pictures of them and sum up their stats.

Kodiak bear:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475332359.311892.jpg

You can see how big it is from just looking at the picture. The males typically grow up to 10ft max but the record was 12.6ft. The weigh on average 1,200lbs but can be known to be up to 1,500lbs. They have very thick fur to protect them from impact and very sharp claws, they are the perfect predators really, they have also been know to break moose's back with one swing. A Kodiak bear like all bears is an omnivore meaning they eat plants, berries roots as well as deers and fish etc. Their jaw strength is extremely strong as they have a PSI of 930(pounds per square inch).

Silverback gorilla:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475332620.826386.jpg

Male Silverback gorillas reach an average height of 5ft7 but they have been rarely known to grow up to 6ft. They weight on average 350-400lbs. They are 6 to 15 times stronger than the average human depending on who is being asked. Their fangs aren't sharp but have a jaw strength of 1,300psi which is a lot stronger than the Kodiak bears of 930. They are herbivores meaning they only eat plants such as berries etc. Are also intelligent animals.

In conclusion they Kodiak bear has size and weight over the silver back gorilla but the sliver back gorilla has a greater jaw strength. Kodiak is an omnivore meaning they are more prepared for the fight because the gorilla only eats berries. The Kodiak has sharper fangs and also has claws where the silverback only has hands, but on the other hand a silverback is more intelligent and perhaps could use this strategic advantage against the bear.

Let me know who you guys think would win and why. This is of course all hypothetical because these animals would never come into contact with one another and this thread was just for fun because I am interested to see other people's opinion on the matter and how much people will agree with me that the Kodiak would win. I will respect everyone's opinion. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I'd vote for the bear.
Why? Massive size/ strength advantage, sharp weaponry such as teeth and claws. Also because Kodiak's have a lot more experience in bringing down large animals as prey. Remember that Kodiak bears are huge; they reach polar bear sizes.

There's a user on here called sword of truth or sword of justice or something like that who knows quite a lot on stuff like this, I've not seen them post in ages though. Ask them?
(edited 7 years ago)
harambe vs winnie the pooh?
Yeah that's what I said to my brother yet him and all my friends still say the gorilla.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Harambe never dies #dicksoutforharambe
Original post by RossB1702
Yeah that's what I said to my brother yet him and all my friends still say the gorilla.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's misguided, the bear has the advantage by far. Gorilla's are strong but they are herbivores; they don't have the natural aggression that bears have either
The gorrila would channel the spirit of Harambe and destory the bear, then get his cock out in respect of Harambe.
Yeah i also said that to him as well, i mean silverbacks have been hunted and killed my leopards before. This wouldn't happen to a 10ft bear.
Original post by BigMan Ting
Harambe never dies #dicksoutforharambe

Lmao
Original post by Zargabaath
The gorrila would channel the spirit of Harambe and destory the bear, then get his cock out in respect of Harambe.

I should have known i would get these replies lol
Yeah i also said that to him as well, i mean silverbacks have been hunted and killed my leopards before. This wouldn't happen to a 10ft bear.

Yeah, I mean, just look at the pictures, the gorilla is likely about as tall as the man in the bear picture. It's like asking if a human could take on a kodiak. Sorry gorilla fans, the bear stomps
yeah but i think it's a child in the pic. Lets assume he's of average height for his age, about 5ft1 probs. so the gorilla would be like 5/6 inces taller. I really don't understand why like 10 of the people i've asked all sided with my brother, i even tried to explain the logic behind my opinion and all they said was "a gorilla's punch to the head would be too strong for the bear too handle", but i explained that it wouldn't even reach his head and every other part of the bears body is protected by very thick fur.
yeah but i think it's a child in the pic. Lets assume he's of average height for his age, about 5ft1 probs. so the gorilla would be like 5/6 inces taller. I really don't understand why like 10 of the people i've asked all sided with my brother, i even tried to explain the logic behind my opinion and all they said was "a gorilla's punch to the head would be too strong for the bear too handle", but i explained that it wouldn't even reach his head and every other part of the bears body is protected by very thick fur.

I think the fact that gorillas can be taken down by leopards (a much smaller and skinnier predator) speaks enough.

Show them this:

gorilla vs bear.jpg
I actually thought about putting this up as a picture on this thread but thought it was too inaccurate because obviously this is photoshop and if they were standing together the gorilla would be below chest level but because it photoshop the gorilla looks like it's up to its lower neck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually thought about putting this up as a picture on this thread but thought it was too inaccurate because obviously this is photoshop and if they were standing together the gorilla would be below chest level but because it photoshop the gorilla looks like it's up to its lower neck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it's a photoshop but even taking that into account nobody could say that the gorilla could reasonably land a knock out punch to the bears head. Unlike polar bear skulls, kodiak skulls are so thick that even shotgun rounds bounce off. In some places even meant to be 3 inches thick.

Consider how easily bears have been recorded to kill lions; do you think a gorrila really has a chance?
Woah that's crazy! Next time this argument comes up I'll shove these news reports in their face lol. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woah that's crazy! Next time this argument comes up I'll shove these news reports in their face lol. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even polar bears can **** up a lion pretty bad and they are more structurally delicate than kodiaks;

polar kills lion.jpg
Attachment not found

Black bears can kill lions (they're the tiniest bears too, nowhere near as large as kodiaks)

Attachment not found

Bears killing other things:

ucles sending.jpg

Even a leopard can kill a lion ffs

ucles sending.jpg
Kodiak bear wins. Id want the gorilla to win but bear wins.

Why? Because this isnt MMA. The gorilla is more intelligent, sure, but not enough to come up with battle tactics. Both will charge each other and due to the sheer size and strength of the bear, bear would crush or scratch the gorilla. This is nature, where size and weight matter far more than intelligence or techniques. On top of that, the bears are used to hunting and taking down prey, whereas a gorilla wouldn't know where to attack in order to incapacitate, even though they fight other males, it's not to kill.

Although I'd like to imagine the gorilla going all King Kong on the bear and ripping apart it's jaw...

RIP Harambe.

https://youtu.be/MTjs5eo4BfI
https://youtu.be/g3aIsJcAMhY
(edited 7 years ago)
bear ftw
Okay everyone with a serious answer has said bear so far. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest