The Student Room Group

Is this normal for a nearly 17 year old?

Basically, here is a list of things I have never done:
Never sworn/said a swear word
Never drunk alcohol before
Never been to a party (apart from birthday parties and my last one was when I was 13)
Never smoked
Never had a sleepover (unless you count camping with scouts and school trips)
Never kissed a girl
Never been on a date/been out with someone
Hardly ever hang out (most of my friends live in another town)

On the flip side, I like to read, cook, play videogames, go for walks and study. All I've wanted to do in my life is be like other teenagers and kids yet I feel completely opposite. Does anyone here share similarities to me in this? By the way, I have Aspergers and I'm diabetic so I really do find it hard to fit in with others...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Man, forget about the standards others set for you.
If you like doing that stuff, do it. Don't feel obligated to go ot of your way for something you're not even interested in doing.
Reply 2
Repeat after me:

Spoiler

No it's not normal. Most 17 year olds would have sworn, drunk alcohol, been to parties, been on a date and hang out with friends. But there is nothing wrong with it if you feel better not doing these things. Don't worry about it.
Reply 4
Also, for those of you who say that I'm stupid and dumb for doing any of these (or not), I actually enjoy my life and it's very peaceful. I have a group of friends at school who have similar interests to me even though they do occasionally swear and have been drunk before (found that out on the bus yesterday). And just for your own interest, instead of swearing, I say things like stupid, idiot and 'ow!' and I just don't know why these aren't used whereas swear words are... And for some reason, I find myself talking and having short conversations with myself when I'm alone which was a sign of madness but now is supposedly a sign of sanity and intellegence.
Original post by DanF2000
Never been to a party (apart from birthday parties and my last one was when I was 13)
Never smoked
Never kissed a girl

On the flip side, I like to read, cook, play videogames, go for walks and study. All I've wanted to do in my life is be like other teenagers and kids yet I feel completely opposite. Does anyone here share similarities to me in this? By the way, I have Aspergers and I'm diabetic so I really do find it hard to fit in with others...

A little bit but there's nothing wrong with that. Some of the stuff on there I haven't done either but most of them I have. I'm surprised you've never sworn before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ladbants
No it's not normal. Most 17 year olds would have sworn, drunk alcohol, been to parties, been on a date and hang out with friends. But there is nothing wrong with it if you feel better not doing these things. Don't worry about it.

Most people have been on a date by 17? Seriously?
Original post by cbreef
Most people have been on a date by 17? Seriously?

No on like a formal dinner date but they've been out with a girlfriend/boyfriend most probably.
Reply 8
Original post by stirkee
Repeat after me:

Spoiler

Now im just curious to whether you said F*** or S***
On another note, is swearing not allowed on this site?
Reply 9
Original post by RossB1702
A little bit but there's nothing wrong with that. Some of the stuff on there I haven't done either but most of them I have. I'm surprised you've never sworn before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly hate swearing as I just associate it with negativity and to be honest, I really just don't see the point in it. I mean, why can't some replace the f or s word with stupid or idiot. Instead of saying "I (f-word) hate that!", I would just say "I just absolutely hate that". Or if I forget something or something similar, rather than saying the s-word, I'd say "Oh great!" or say to myself "I hate you".
yes its normal, i am kind of the same.:smile:
Original post by Otaybee
Now im just curious to whether you said F*** or S***
On another note, is swearing not allowed on this site?

It was F but it could have been any

take your pick, op
Reply 12
Original post by German123
yes its normal, i am kind of the same.:smile:

I'm glad I have someone similar to me :smile:
I'll be honest. I've done 6 of those things. Not all but most...that being said I did most of them on my own. Honestly who cares? Just focus on your own stuff and the rest will come naturally if that makes sense.
I honestly hate swearing as I just associate it with negativity and to be honest, I really just don't see the point in it. I mean, why can't some replace the f or s word with stupid or idiot. Instead of saying "I (f-word) hate that!", I would just say "I just absolutely hate that". Or if I forget something or something similar, rather than saying the s-word, I'd say "Oh great!" or say to myself "I hate you".

Replace it with stupid or idiot?

**** you! > Idiot you!

nah but I don't see why **** is more negative than saying 'I hate you' :lol:
Reply 15
Also, I'd say that I'm quite responsible, well-behaved and friendly/kind as I don't think I've ever said a bad thing about anyone and I never plan to. And I did almost die in hospital last year so I think that has improved my good attributes by ten-fold. I'm hoping I meet a women around 20 who I'll stay with for a while and I'm getting my driving lessons next year and my dad says I'll probably be the most responsible and careful person in the family when it comes to driving.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm glad I have someone similar to me :smile:

Yes, although i am female in case you are wondering.:smile:
Never smoked
Never kissed a girl

I mean, Im 17 and I haven't:
Drunk Alcohol
Been to to parties which promote drug,sex and alcohol.
Kissed a girl
Been on a date
Smoked

You're fine, just don't be socially awkward.
Reply 18
Original post by KabirAhmad
I mean, Im 17 and I haven't:
Drunk Alcohol
Been to to parties which promote drug,sex and alcohol.
Kissed a girl
Been on a date
Smoked

You're fine, just don't be socially awkward.

I'm extremely shy but I'm not too socially awkward if that helps.
Reply 19
And I usually find myself searching up what being a friend is, what being socially awkward means, what classes people as being your friend, etc. So I guess I'm a bit lacking in my social part of life. (Thanks aspergers!! :mad: )

Latest