The Student Room Group

Labour is the party of the future! Yes we can, yes we will.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quamquam123
:wink:

:awesome:
Reply 61
Original post by Ambitious1999
Our party now moves in a new direction towards a brighter fairer world. Labours centrism was a failure. It led to less support.

Now thousands of young idealist supporters are following labour under Corbyn. They voted for Corbyn. They want a better Britian, free university tuition, nationalised railways, a free NHS, and an end to all airstrikes in Iraq and Syria.

The momentum movement is already creating a youth wing to get youngsters interested in politics and influence their parents and teachers with the right ideas and thoughts and who knows influence local authorities too! Youth directed governance would be a great idea. Britain is not short of energetic youths to help spread the word.
They can be our voice with momentum groups in all schools and influencing surrounding communities. Ensuring people do the correct thing and notifying them of their mistakes.

The left in Britain is coming back to life because of years of Tory austerity cuts, rightwing attitudes, Brexit racism etc. Labour has a huge number of new members a sign that its doing something right.

Together we can build a better Britain for all.

Labour Yes we can and yes we damn well will !

As a social democratic (centre-left), I disagree that "New Labour" was a complete failure. Blair is Labour's most successive leader who had made vast changes such as introducing the "minimum wage" and improving our NHS during his time in power. What I do disagree over is the Iraq War, I think it was morally wrong to take part in the war when it wasn't a last resort as the Chilcot report states and it's a lesson to be learnt.Now, I do acknowledge the mandate that Corbyn has and accept that he has really engaged young people and those who were disillusioned by politics beforehand to be involved in politics and most importantly join Labour; however, what I feel is that Corbyn is not the next Prime Minister in waiting as his leadership is making Labour feel like a protest movement and for him to win, he needs to reach out far and beyond, it also means talking to those who disagree with you politically and understanding why Labour has got it wrong. The whole idea of Momentum movement, I'm not too keen, some of them don't represent what Labour should be about and we have seen abusive comments and threats made to non-Corbyn supporters and this is not right and it needs to stop. Perhaps a change of inner party policy could help but definitely I think something needs to be done.Unless Labour can address these issues under Corbyn I really doubt Labour will win in 2020.
Reply 62
Original post by PetrosAC
The thing with Corbyn though, it's not just the policies. In fact, the main issue for me personally isn't his policies. My issue with him is that he's not opposing the Tories. Every week (apart from one where he was okay) he gets torn apart by Theresa May at PMQs (and David Cameron before her) and isn't doing enough to oppose some of their most authoritarian policies like the Snoopers Charter. He is unable to hold the Tories to account and is letting them get away with so much, whilst other parties don't have the seats or the branding to have the power to hold them to account.
There has been media criticism of Corbyn's PMQs but I think there are some reasons for this.
1. His initial inexperience. He has always been consigned to the back benches.
2. His change of approach from the traditional schoolboy banter, to sticking to the issues. Which was starting to work prior to the recess.
3. Constantly being heckled during PMQs and this backed up by his own MPs.
Much of the criticism was that he wasn't ready to jump on the Tory weakness of the day, but rather stick to the issues he wanted to tackle. This may go against common wisdom, but it actually makes sense, as the media have normally already raised the 'issue of the day' so to repeat it at PMQs wastes an opportunity to hit them over something else.
He is becoming more experienced, and with the backing of the Labour Mps, as at the Grammar school PMQs, he can do very well.
Reply 63
Original post by JTran38
I do acknowledge the mandate that Corbyn has and accept that he has really engaged young people and those who were disillusioned by politics beforehand to be involved in politics and most importantly join Labour; however, what I feel is that Corbyn is not the next Prime Minister in waiting as his leadership is making Labour feel like a protest movement and for him to win, he needs to reach out far and beyond, it also means talking to those who disagree with you politically and understanding why Labour has got it wrong.
The media are trying to push this notion of 'protest' and 'cult', but the policies being put forward are not. In part I think it stems from Corbyn having been to lots of protests, and that his rallies are well attended, and supporters have passion like protesters often do. It may also be because they want real change.
The whole idea of Momentum movement, I'm not too keen, some of them don't represent what Labour should be about and we have seen abusive comments and threats made to non-Corbyn supporters and this is not right and it needs to stop. Perhaps a change of inner party policy could help but definitely I think something needs to be done.Unless Labour can address these issues under Corbyn I really doubt Labour will win in 2020.
Momentum are only there to give support to Corbyn and his policy ideas. They are not a party. There has been abuse on both sides of the 'debate' but it is only a minority and it is not necessarily from those in Momentum. The media have only highlighted that from Corbyn's side, but if you visit the Saving Labour Facebook site, you can see posts there too. Corbyn supporters priority is to help him get in, not abuse those that are against him, though some of the PLP actions have been extremely provocative.
Reply 64
Original post by Aliccam
The media are trying to push this notion of 'protest' and 'cult', but the policies being put forward are not. In part I think it stems from Corbyn having been to lots of protests, and that his rallies are well attended, and supporters have passion like protesters often do. It may also be because they want real change.
Don't believe everything the media says ... What I meant about Corbyn's leadership turning Labour into some sort of a protest party is that they campaign for the ideas they believe in yet they can't attract people on the other side of their campaign to possibly support them and convince them why they should support xxx idea, it feels like a lot of moaning is going on and little action. If they were passionate, they would be working their socks off to pass this in the Commons. Also, his performances at PMQs is genuinely woeful though the recent one was arguably better.

Original post by Aliccam
Momentum are only there to give support to Corbyn and his policy ideas. They are not a party. There has been abuse on both sides of the 'debate' but it is only a minority and it is not necessarily from those in Momentum. The media have only highlighted that from Corbyn's side, but if you visit the Saving Labour Facebook site, you can see posts there too. Corbyn supporters priority is to help him get in, not abuse those that are against him, though some of the PLP actions have been extremely provocative.

Yes, I'm aware that Momentum isn't a party but my concerns is the violence and abused of which some Momentum members were involved in to harass non-Corbyn supporting MPs and in order to root out these issues, Labour needs to toughen its inner party polices and Corbyn needs to deliver on unity within the party and stand up against such violence and abuse.
Reply 65
Original post by JTran38
Don't believe everything the media says ... What I meant about Corbyn's leadership turning Labour into some sort of a protest party is that they campaign for the ideas they believe in yet they can't attract people on the other side of their campaign to possibly support them and convince them why they should support xxx idea, it feels like a lot of moaning is going on and little action. If they were passionate, they would be working their socks off to pass this in the Commons.
To do this Corbyn needs the support of his MPs. If he gets it he can start to campaign.

Yes, I'm aware that Momentum isn't a party but my concerns is the violence and abused of which some Momentum members were involved in to harass non-Corbyn supporting MPs and in order to root out these issues, Labour needs to toughen its inner party polices and Corbyn needs to deliver on unity within the party and stand up against such violence and abuse.
Most of the 'abuse' against MPs, seems to be the perceeived threat of reselection, which is only 'mentioned' in relation to those MPs that have actively tried to get Corbyn removed by fair means or foul. Some of the specific 'abuse' has also been in response to attacks on Corbyn or his supporters. It seems that any criticism of Labour MPs opposed to corbyn is concidered 'abuse'. There has been some twitter abuse online by a minority of idiots but this is in no way typical. Most of the big numbers mentioned in the press are just people tweeting support for Corbyn and are not abusive.
Reply 66
Labour is now the party of looters and idealists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aliccam

Momentum are only there to give support to Corbyn and his policy ideas.

If you believe that you'll believe anything. Momentum's agenda broadly follows that of Militant in the 1980s: entryist strategy to take control of a major party, and extreme left wing politics. They aren't all even in the Labour party; sdopme were expelled or are from far left parties. Corbyn is a fellow traveller, of course.

They hope, of course, that the other far left parties will soon no longer be needed as all far lefties will be concentrated into Labour which will give them the platform they need to do serious damage. I suspect all that will happen is that Labour will be lost, as a party, in the ensuing train wreck.
Reply 68
Original post by Aliccam
To do this Corbyn needs the support of his MPs. If he gets it he can start to campaign.

The Labour Party is capable of campaigning for issues it passionate about even if Corbyn isn't always leading it but that would obviously mean the Labour Party would be weak at getting ideas across to its people and most importantly in the Commons. That is obviously not the way forward and I'm sure you'd agree with me. Corbyn needs to carry on uniting his MPs such as with the subject of grammar schools where today we have a nationwide "Education Not Segregation" campaign but what I want to see more of is Labour talking to people who are on the other side of the campaign and listen to their views and take that in account of how we can possibly convince them to support Labour's policies and vote Labour in the general election.

Original post by Aliccam
Most of the 'abuse' against MPs, seems to be the perceeived threat of reselection, which is only 'mentioned' in relation to those MPs that have actively tried to get Corbyn removed by fair means or foul. Some of the specific 'abuse' has also been in response to attacks on Corbyn or his supporters. It seems that any criticism of Labour MPs opposed to corbyn is concidered 'abuse'. There has been some twitter abuse online by a minority of idiots but this is in no way typical. Most of the big numbers mentioned in the press are just people tweeting support for Corbyn and are not abusive.

Indeed, not all of the abuse is necessary to do with deselection. However, my MP who is a Corbyn critic has received various abusive threats/comments for not supporting Corbyn some of which are from Momentum and the rest from Labour supporters/members and that has caused a massive upset amongst MPs like Lisa Nandy, Owen Smith for example. What Labour really needs to do is toughen its policies on party membership and that Corbyn should toughen his stance of such abuse and reassure those MPs like Lisa Nandy that they shouldn't worry about deselection, this will solve some of Labour's crisis atm.
labour are a bunch of champagne sipping mobsters. they're full of either criminals or anti-semites or blind and righteous bigots. it's the party of the economically irresponsible and the party of the optimistic parasite. it's nothing but a poisonous nest for all the atrocious values that ruined the country in the past few decades. the labour party are the worst kind of party: proud of being dreadful and proud of being spinelss and pathetic in the face of very serious social issues. it's a party of professional liars and professional shrug-off-ers. they don't give a flying **** about the voters. they care about putting a boot on the human face. they want to appear like they want to help, but they are both the brutalisers and the surgeons. they will cause a problem and they claim that they were the ones who fixed it, when in reality, they were the ones who made it worse and further worse. if you want to lose all of your faith in politics and see what professional career politicians are like - look no further. the labour party are the party for you. they will read off a script and avoid the questions asked to them to the point that you will doubt they have any kind of sincere humanity within them when all they seem to displace is a lust for money and a prostitution-style of politics that is acted upon for, again, money, or climbing an inner-party ladder to one day become (more) famous and more wealthy. absolutely ****ing disgusting, and corrupt. it makes most people in this country sigh and wretch - we can all clearly see these criminals and ****ing weasals for who they are. corbyn has changed nothing. khan has made things *far* worse, too. blurring the lines between feminism...and islamism.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by Good bloke
If you believe that you'll believe anything. Momentum's agenda broadly follows that of Militant in the 1980s: entryist strategy to take control of a major party, and extreme left wing politics. They aren't all even in the Labour party; sdopme were expelled or are from far left parties. Corbyn is a fellow traveller, of course.

They hope, of course, that the other far left parties will soon no longer be needed as all far lefties will be concentrated into Labour which will give them the platform they need to do serious damage. I suspect all that will happen is that Labour will be lost, as a party, in the ensuing train wreck.
Think you have spent too much time reading the Mail and Telegraph. You disappoint me your responses though negative are usually more intelligent.
Labour have turned themselves from the party of opposition to a fringe party with limited appeal. Corbyn will never be PM nor will Labour ever form the next government with him as leader. Ever since Milliband was elected the Cons can't believe their luck in just how unelectable Labour have made themselves. They need to win the middle ground and they cnat do that with such left wing policies. Corbyn has also turned Defence policy into a complete liability. The only area Labour are ahead in is the NHS.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Our party now moves in a new direction towards a brighter fairer world. Labours centrism was a failure. It led to less support.

Now thousands of young idealist supporters are following labour under Corbyn. They voted for Corbyn. They want a better Britian, free university tuition, nationalised railways, a free NHS, and an end to all airstrikes in Iraq and Syria.

The momentum movement is already creating a youth wing to get youngsters interested in politics and influence their parents and teachers with the right ideas and thoughts and who knows influence local authorities too! Youth directed governance would be a great idea. Britain is not short of energetic youths to help spread the word.
They can be our voice with momentum groups in all schools and influencing surrounding communities. Ensuring people do the correct thing and notifying them of their mistakes.

The left in Britain is coming back to life because of years of Tory austerity cuts, rightwing attitudes, Brexit racism etc. Labour has a huge number of new members a sign that its doing something right.

Together we can build a better Britain for all.

Labour Yes we can and yes we damn well will !

Labour is the party of mediocrity, unmanliness and failure.
Reply 73
Original post by JTran38
The Labour Party is capable of campaigning for issues it passionate about even if Corbyn isn't always leading it but that would obviously mean the Labour Party would be weak at getting ideas across to its people and most importantly in the Commons. That is obviously not the way forward and I'm sure you'd agree with me. Corbyn needs to carry on uniting his MPs such as with the subject of grammar schools where today we have a nationwide "Education Not Segregation" campaign but what I want to see more of is Labour talking to people who are on the other side of the campaign and listen to their views and take that in account of how we can possibly convince them to support Labour's policies and vote Labour in the general election.
Hopefully now this waste of time election is out of the way they will be able to concentrate on this type of thing.
Indeed, not all of the abuse is necessary to do with deselection. However, my MP who is a Corbyn critic has received various abusive threats/comments for not supporting Corbyn some of which are from Momentum and the rest from Labour supporters/members and that has caused a massive upset amongst MPs like Lisa Nandy, Owen Smith for example. What Labour really needs to do is toughen its policies on party membership and that Corbyn should toughen his stance of such abuse and reassure those MPs like Lisa Nandy that they shouldn't worry about deselection, this will solve some of Labour's crisis atm.
Corbyn has spoken against reselection, though it is not actually his call. He has said that as many sitting MPs as possible should be put up for selection when the boundaries are reviewed. I doubt that Lisa Nandy has anything to fear, as although she helped Owen Smith in his campaign, she has never been one of the schemers. Owen Smith only really got heckled, and then it was usually relevant to the point he was making. Corbyn supporters don't mind MPs having their own ideas about policy, it is the personal media attacks and the dirty tricks they oppose.
Reply 74
Original post by Aliccam
Hopefully now this waste of time election is out of the way they will be able to concentrate on this type of thing.

I hope so and want to see more stronger leadership from Corbyn that units the party and a party that can be an effective opposition to the Tories.

Original post by Aliccam
Corbyn has spoken against reselection, though it is not actually his call. He has said that as many sitting MPs as possible should be put up for selection when the boundaries are reviewed. I doubt that Lisa Nandy has anything to fear, as although she helped Owen Smith in his campaign, she has never been one of the schemers. Owen Smith only really got heckled, and then it was usually relevant to the point he was making. Corbyn supporters don't mind MPs having their own ideas about policy, it is the personal media attacks and the dirty tricks they oppose.

Yes, he did speak against deselection, you're correct and I hope he sticks to that now that the leadership election is over. In terms of the new proposed boundary changes, I hope they get reconsidered before being put forward as it causes some areas to be misrepresented. A minority of Corbyn supporters do attack MPs for not supporting him policy wise or whatever but again these problems can be rooted out eventually.

In terms of unity, Corbyn needs to reshuffle his cabinet so that members/supporter's views are represented well and IMO I would get rid of John McDonnell if I was Corbyn because he was the one who abused non-Corbyn supporting MPs and for him to continue without apology is unacceptable.
politics is going to die in the next 50 years everywhere will be republics when the people rise up and take over
Lol come on guys, this is an obvious troll.
Original post by PetrosAC
The thing with Corbyn though, it's not just the policies. In fact, the main issue for me personally isn't his policies. My issue with him is that he's not opposing the Tories. Every week (apart from one where he was okay) he gets torn apart by Theresa May at PMQs (and David Cameron before her) and isn't doing enough to oppose some of their most authoritarian policies like the Snoopers Charter. He is unable to hold the Tories to account and is letting them get away with so much, whilst other parties don't have the seats or the branding to have the power to hold them to account.

I still like him and will vote for him. But is one vote enough to win an election? We will see!
Original post by Aliccam

One of the most disingenuous posts in a long time on here*
Original post by Aliccam
Think you have spent too much time reading the Mail and Telegraph.

I almost never read either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending