The Student Room Group

Universities with the harshest SUs...

So I'm pretty right-wing and my views can be quite controversial (especially among 16-25 year olds). I'll be going to uni next September (provided I get the grades) and I'm worried about how censorious some SUs can be towards people with my sort of views. Anyways, my question is which unis have the harshest SUs when it comes to censorship?
a lot of it will depend on where, how and why you express the views you are worried about , the reality is apart from headline grabbing and the obvious Millie Tants most SUs are fairly apolitical or political with a small 'p' ...
What would you say your most controversial opinion is?
Reply 3
Original post by Duncan2012
What would you say your most controversial opinion is?

Difficult to say off the top of my head, but the opinions I get the most flack on are privatising the NHS (at least partially), cutting benefits, lowering taxes, being pro-Israel and a vocal critic of Islam. The issue here is that I say these things out loud as I like to discuss them in person and I can get away with it at Sixth Form but I don't know how it would go down at uni...

Spoiler

Original post by Laeliakiwi
Difficult to say off the top of my head, but the opinions I get the most flack on are privatising the NHS (at least partially), cutting benefits, lowering taxes, being pro-Israel and a vocal critic of Islam. The issue here is that I say these things out loud as I like to discuss them in person and I can get away with it at Sixth Form but I don't know how it would go down at uni...

Spoiler

Lol why don't you just maybe not try to shout those opinions out loud? Just enjoy university- don't be that one guy who won't shut up about his opinions!

Spoiler

I'm afraid you're not as controversial as you might like to think. There's nothing there worth censoring. True, you're more to the right than most students but join the Conservative Society (or whatever it's called at the uni) and you'll be amongst friends. No-one likes a loudmouth anyway (of any political side).
Reply 6
Original post by Ladbants
Lol why don't you just maybe not try to shout those opinions out loud? Just enjoy university- don't be that one guy who won't shut up about his opinions!

Not a guy. Also, why should I be quiet? I'm sure these feminist SJWs can walk around saying whatever they like. I don't just shove my opinions in people's faces, I like to discuss them and how can I go to uni and not have open discourse? Feels like I'm in victorian England.
Not a guy. Also, why should I be quiet? I'm sure these feminist SJWs can walk around saying whatever they like. I don't just shove my opinions in people's faces, I like to discuss them and how can I go to uni and not have open discourse? Feels like I'm in victorian England.

All right, go shout your opinions then. See how many friends you make that way.

Spoiler

It's your right to hold any opinion you have, but i'm interested- why do you have these views? Did you read something, did someone tell you something, is it the environment you live in or do you simply hold these views because you do?
Reply 9
Original post by Ladbants
All right, go shout your opinions then. See how many friends you make that way.

Did I say I wanted to shout them? I said I wanted to discuss them, I have no intentions of shoving it in people's faces. Meh, I'd rather be hated for who I am why have fake friends.

Original post by IRoranth
It's your right to hold any opinion you have, but i'm interested- why do you have these views? Did you read something, did someone tell you something, is it the environment you live in or do you simply hold these views because you do?

No-one has told me anything, in fact I had the opposite views not too long ago. Definitely not my environment, most people around me don't have my views. I don't know why I hold these views maybe I do but I cannot come up with a reason at the moment.

Spoiler

As long as you don't actively campaign you'll be fine just about anywhere. Just be tactful. Most people have next to no idea about economics anyway so the former won't be an issue. Be careful about the Islam thing though. I myself hold some critical views towards it but if you don't watch your tongue it might get uncomfortable.

otherwise, check this out:
http://www.spiked-online.com/free-speech-university-rankings/results

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending