The Student Room Group

Students stage a walkout in protest over consent classes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
Pray tell how a CONSENT talk has to be any more than what it was all previous years where it was informally a case of the college staff basically saying "you know this ****, no means no, don't rape people" at the end of the fire safety talk

If you speak with staff with pastoral responsibilities in universities, there is no doubt that they consider that young men are behaving more sexually aggressively to women students than occurred previously in their careers or when they themselves were students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nulli tertius
If you speak with staff with pastoral responsibilities in universities, there is no doubt that they consider that young men are behaving more sexually aggressively to women students than occurred previously in their careers or when they themselves were students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And telling them what they've been told a million times before will not change anything
Original post by tazarooni89
Because the suggestion that someone attends a sexual consent class is offensive, whereas this is not the case for a fire safety talk.

Furthermore, rape is rarely an issue of someone failing to understand what constitutes "consent", because this is obvious. It's more a case of someone knowing perfectly well that consent has not been given, but their desire to have sex with that person gets the better of them. Particularly in a university setting, being under the influence of alcohol doesn't help.

I think the main solutions to reducing rape are:
- Encouraging more people to actually report rape when it happens to them
- Educating people so as to clear up any misconceptions about the scenarios in which rape is most likely to occur
- Increasing the severity of punishment where rape can be proven.

Simply telling people what rape is and that they shouldn't do it isn't going to stop anyone.

If you think that it is offensive then simply don't attend. I went to a voluntary consent workshop because I was curious to see how it would transpire and it was a lot more than "teaching men not to rape". While I agree with others here that it was mostly a case of preaching to the choir, it featured several cases where sexual violence had occurred, a couple in which women were the perpetrators and the effects that this had on the victims. It challenged mentalities that often lead to the violence, such as perpetrators believing that the victims were "asking for it" due to having "led them on" and the problematics of sex with a heavily drunken person, along with other information that would be useful if consent classes were to be introduced in schools.
Original post by WBZ144
If you think that it is offensive then simply don't attend.

It's not just the consent class itself that is offensive, for many people even the suggestion that it would be useful to attend one is offensive. So I think it's natural to want to make a more vocal statement against it than simply by not attending.

I went to a voluntary consent workshop because I was curious to see how it would transpire and it was a lot more than "teaching men not to rape". While I agree with others here that it was mostly a case of preaching to the choir, it featured several cases where sexual violence had occurred, a couple in which women were the perpetrators and the effects that this had on the victims.
It challenged mentalities that often lead to the violence, such as perpetrators believing that the victims were "asking for it" due to having "led them on" and the problematics of sex with a heavily drunken person, along with other information that would be useful if consent classes were to be introduced in schools.

This is a separate issue from consent. I already suggested in my earlier post that it might be useful to have education that challenges misconceptions around why and in what situations rape is most likely to occur. Although that's probably more useful for people wanting to reduce their chances of becoming a victim.
glad i didn't pick york
cuck university
Original post by WBZ144
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/sexual-consent-classes-walkout-student-protest-york-university-workshops-a7338106.html?cmpid=facebook-post

Thoughts?

I can understand why consent classes might be patronising to the majority, but the fact is that rape and sexual assault do happen on campuses so there is still a small minority of students who either do not understand it fully or do not care. I firmly believe that consent classes should be taught at primary school as opposed to university, they should go hand in hand with sex ed classes. A lot of secondary school students are subject to peer pressure, combine that with their immaturity and it's a recipe for disaster.

I think most people understand what rape means and don't have to be taught this 😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QE2
Absolutely not! It is only reasonable to believe that she wants to strip naked and give you a suggestive look. Anything else is merely assumption and conjection.
Obviously, in many cases she may well want to have sex, especially if you are already in a sexually active relationship with that person. However, that is not always the case and should not be assumed.

Arguable, but our attitudes to sex, morality and consent most certainly do not!

What a load of absolute shite I can tell you are a virgin (or a far left feminist nutjob). In your fantasy land all men will have to walk around carrying consent forms and a camera for evidence if they plan on having sex. Also in your make believe world why is it the male's responsibility to ask for consent and not the females?

When your about to have sex with someone you very rarely say to them "Is it okay if I have sexual intercourse with you?" you dance, talk, hug, kiss or whatever and things lead on from there. If the girl (or guy) starts pulling away and tells you to stop and you continue anyway then that's rape, if she doesn't say anything and continues to kiss you and join in then in no version of reality is that rape. Human beings aren't bloody robots waiting for a set command to be entered so they can begin mating we can pick up on signs and use common sense. People know fine well if someone is objecting to having sex.

As for the issue of Drunkenness, there is a massive double standard no one seems to care if the man is drunk no one would call it rape if a drunk man has sex with a women. Obviously if the girl is passed out on the bed or nearly at that stage and the man isn't then that would be rape as they are taking advantage of them, but in the vast majority of drunken sex cases the man is just as drunk as the women so why then would that ever be rape if they both consent in their drunken state? Some mental politicians and social justice warriors have started the ridiculous belief that if a women regrets having drunken sex then that is rape which is the most ridiculous logic possible.
Original post by Shabalala
What a load of absolute shite I can tell you are a virgin (or a far left feminist nutjob). In your fantasy land all men will have to walk around carrying consent forms and a camera for evidence if they plan on having sex. Also in your make believe world why is it the male's responsibility to ask for consent and not the females?

When your about to have sex with someone you very rarely say to them "Is it okay if I have sexual intercourse with you?" you dance, talk, hug, kiss or whatever and things lead on from there. .

Shaba lad watch yourself you'll be branded a rapist....I'll put the kettle on if we;re sharing a cell.

It seems odd that things leading up to sex don't seem to be classed as something you need such affirmed consent. So hugging/cuddling is okay, kissing is okay, caressing is okay...it seems accepted that consent for these things is implied, but then once it becomes more sexual people (females mainly) lose their autonomy.

To give a blunt example...

If I'm laying on a bed with a girl who's in her underwear, we're passionately kissing/caressing each other, and I move my hand into pants and start fingering her....have I sexually assaulted her because I haven't asked? Is the fact she hasn't pulled away or moved my arm/hand away from that area before I started not a sign of consent in this situation? I also assume just because she'd consented in the past, you'd still need explicit consent every time? Because it sounds like this wouldn't be enough to prove consent for some people. In which case.......police are going to be busy. Shaba you take sugar/milk? I'll stock up now.
(edited 7 years ago)
The stupid thing is that they sat and listened to stuff like 'don't light a barbecue in your bedroom', yet considered a short talk on sexual consent patronising enough to walk out of.
(edited 7 years ago)
PC age is unfortunately over, look at Europe and the US, it's gone.
Reply 90
Original post by Inexorably
Good on them. Consent classes are absolutely ****ing ridiculous and I completely agree that anyone who doesn't know how to recognise consent wouldn't even be at university in the first place.

"Consent classes" simple enable 3rd wave braindead radfems to try and make it easier for women to claim a man raped them or sexually harassed them without such a thing actually happening. They should not exist at all and I hands down agree it's ****ing patronising; if I was asked to attend I'd tell them where they could shove it.
Would you ask for their permission to shove it there?

Seriously, I agree
Original post by chelseadagg3r
The stupid thing is that they sat and listened to stuff like 'don't light a barbecue in your bedroom', yet considered a short talk on sexual consent patronising enough to walk out of.

The law requires obvious things to be told to allegedly smart people, and requires people to do silly things all the time.
Are the 'White Ribbon' brigade still doing the rounds at the colleges? You know the folk that try and get men to pledge not to hit women?

That stuff is amazingly backward thinking and overtly sexist. If they tried to label any other group like that such as by race it would be called out for the discrimination that it is.
I don't see what is wrong with giving a small talk about consent. At my freshers we had small talks about things that "Everyone should know about" yet not one person walked out.
Tbh, I think pople walking out shows that a lot of guys aren't willing to learn- They know what consent is but they don't actually give a ****.
Original post by loveleest
I don't see what is wrong with giving a small talk about consent. At my freshers we had small talks about things that "Everyone should know about" yet not one person walked out.
Tbh, I think pople walking out shows that a lot of guys aren't willing to learn- They know what consent is but they don't actually give a ****.

I can teach consent in 3 words, it's been drilled into men for years: "no means no"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wont be long before we have to sign into an app and click consent before any sexual contact. Great stuff
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Wont be long before we have to sign into an app and click consent before any sexual contact. Great stuff

It's a perfect excuse to film it, prove they gave consent and never withdrew it

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a perfect excuse to film it, prove they gave consent and never withdrew it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can see it now..

"Jenny M updated her status light foreplay to ferverous fingerbanging (Consent stage 2 complete)"
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I can see it now..

"Jenny M updated her status light foreplay to ferverous fingerbanging (Consent stage 2 complete)"

"WAIT SLOW IT DOWN! I need a sec....

Jenny updated her status, poll option added, let him finish inside or finish on her tits? (Consent final stage pending).

...I want at least 5 votes babe before we decide."
I can teach consent in 3 words, it's been drilled into men for years: "no means no"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clearly a lot of guys aren't willing to take in and understand :/

Quick Reply

Latest