The Student Room Group

I'm a commuter and I HATE it.... do I try to find accommodation during second year??

Hey guys. I'm a university of Birmingham student just starting my second year and I've always commuted. VERY long story short, I've never regretted anything more in my life. I hardly have any friends and I'm not really involved in uni life at all. My heart breaks every time I go to uni because I just want to be a part of it so badly, I don't stop thinking about it :frown:

So my question is, do I try my best to find accommodation this year, wait till 3rd year, or drop out and have a completely fresh start?

My issue with getting accommodation now is that a) ive already missed a year of the experience and b) I don't think I'd fit in, everyone already has their friendship groups and if I moved into a house I'd be like a stranger

Help!!!! :'(
Original post by KittensAndCakes
Hey guys. I'm a university of Birmingham student just starting my second year and I've always commuted. VERY long story short, I've never regretted anything more in my life. I hardly have any friends and I'm not really involved in uni life at all. My heart breaks every time I go to uni because I just want to be a part of it so badly, I don't stop thinking about it :frown:

So my question is, do I try my best to find accommodation this year, wait till 3rd year, or drop out and have a completely fresh start?

My issue with getting accommodation now is that a) ive already missed a year of the experience and b) I don't think I'd fit in, everyone already has their friendship groups and if I moved into a house I'd be like a stranger

Help!!!! :'(

Hi its a tough choice. Do the pros and cons of each.
How are you doing on the course?
Are you enjoying it?
How important is the social side to you?
How will you feel when you graduate if it carries on like it is?

Its not impossible to make friends whilst commuting, but depending in the commute it limites your on campus time and you dont share as much stuff like meal times or just the evenings and thats where a social life goes on.

Extra year + extra cost v chance of being on site and having more of a uni social life.

Talk to tutors + friends you trusy+ parents.

You are only going to do uni first degree once. Do you think if you tried again you would make friends? houses can be hit and miss as many of the threads on these boards show. You cna make frineds in 2nd year , but less options than first and the third year then everyone is kind of fixed plus focused on study.

Its your choice. If it means that much then Id just suspend and restart either there or elsewhere. No guarantees you make friends though, but at least you know the score and wont have regrets what you missed out on.

You could ofc just get your head down and get a good degree, but I guess you want to look back on having friends with lots of happier memories. You know enough about uni to know where youd like to live? Ask around.

I cna well see many people will choose to say get your head down egt on with it and you cna make friends in 2nd year if you join societies etc. True, but we dont know about your commte and we dont know why you havent managed it this year.

Friends can be made:

1. Hall or student house.
2. Just around campus.
3. On your course,
4. Join societies and socials.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending