The Student Room Group

Are the cambridge masterclasses useful?

Not interested in applying to cambridge at all. I just want to know more about chemistry. Are they helpful in that respect?
I went to one about Philosophy this past year, and tbh, they literally give you a flavour of what you would study at uni- so it's not anything you'll have ever come across before and the things I had lectures on were just individual theories by the lecturers. So they're great for giving you some complex ideas you won't have though about in Chem before, but you likely won't learn anything that's helpful to your A-Level course.
Original post by APersonYo
Not interested in applying to cambridge at all. I just want to know more about chemistry. Are they helpful in that respect?

I went to the last Chem masterclass, we did organic reactions by functional group level analysis and NMR (i'd never heard of the first before). They're great, you get to experience a day in the life of an undergrad more or less, which is always a good thing. Would definitely recommend going.
Reply 3
Original post by an_atheist
I went to the last Chem masterclass, we did organic reactions by functional group level analysis and NMR (i'd never heard of the first before). They're great, you get to experience a day in the life of an undergrad more or less, which is always a good thing. Would definitely recommend going.

Would it be a problem that I'm in year 13? Considering its a year 12 event... Also, NMR is an A2 topic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by APersonYo
Would it be a problem that I'm in year 13? Considering its a year 12 event...

They dont really check much (They scan a ticket and wave you in), just say you're year 12 when registering and try to look a bit younger when you go. I would phone them to be sure, but I wouldnt have thought it a huge issue.
There is a bit on Cambridge admissions at the end (its 60-90 minutes long), just so you know.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by an_atheist
They dont really check much (They scan a ticket and wave you in), just say you're year 12 when registering and try to look a bit younger when you go. I would phone them to be sure, but I wouldnt have thought it a huge issue.
There is a bit on Cambridge admissions at the end (its 60-90 minutes long), just so you know.

You see, I saw oooh! Chemistry masterclass , that would look nice on the personal statement. However, I am nearly 19 and it would be quite strange for me to go and so I've issued a refund.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending