The Student Room Group

The 'Official' RAF Application Guide

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FattyHater
Yeah man, passing aircrew medical means that I will pass for everything considering the aircrew medical is the most comprehensive. Any idea how long after the medical is the fitness test? I feel like that's my next big hurdle before PRTC! That's awesome mate, PRTC sounds so exciting, it's when it all falls together and you get your boots and service number and it really feels like final. All the best!

I think it was meant to be within 3 days but because I was TMU they just asked me when i felt like doing it after they received the paperwork back from Capita aslong as you are well enough for it I would say literally as soon as you are able within the 3 days
Reply 21
Original post by MarshallR
I think it was meant to be within 3 days but because I was TMU they just asked me when i felt like doing it after they received the paperwork back from Capita aslong as you are well enough for it I would say literally as soon as you are able within the 3 days

It's the one thing I'm worried about really as my fitness has never been elite. I've always lifted weights so avoided cardio like the plague, that's coming round to bite me in the ass now though. Surely the adrenaline will help me out I'm counting on!!

Hi! Sorry you didn't quite make it through OASC, what held you back, the fitness test? I found the AST pretty straightforward, no offense to the airmen candidates but it doesn't really compare to the CBAT. As long as you're not complacent and you do keep your brain switched on and maybe practise a few aptitude tests online you shouldn't have any problems at all. I was worried about it but I came out with scores allowing me to apply for every role in the Air Force that requires the AST. It wasn't a problem, which role are you going for?

Thanks for the advice, I didn't get through the first day of OASC because I didn't have enough "influence," on the group according to my boarding officers. To be honest I don't mind not getting in at all, at my age I'm probably not mature enough to be a Seargent anyway. That's partially why I'm applying, to learn the skills necessary to have a better go at OASC in a few years time.

As for what role I am undecided so far, I'm considering a few (IT technician, Aircraft technician or Flight ops assistant) but I'm going to go to my AFCO and discuss them there. I know I can't re-apply for OASC for another twelve months, would you expect there to be a similar delay for applying as an airmen?

Thanks again, and I apologise in advance for any typos I might have made, I typed this on my phone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ethan1998
Thanks for the advice, I didn't get through the first day of OASC because I didn't have enough "influence," on the group according to my boarding officers. To be honest I don't mind not getting in at all, at my age I'm probably not mature enough to be a Seargent anyway. That's partially why I'm applying, to learn the skills necessary to have a better go at OASC in a few years time.

As for what role I am undecided so far, I'm considering a few (IT technician, Aircraft technician or Flight ops assistant) but I'm going to go to my AFCO and discuss them there. I know I can't re-apply for OASC for another twelve months, would you expect there to be a similar delay for applying as an airmen?

Thanks again, and I apologise in advance for any typos I might have made, I typed this on my phone.

Why not wait another 12 months and re-apply again? In that time, you can gain experiences and life skills etc. By all means apply to the RAF as an Airman and I doth my hat too you for doing so, however - if its not the role you want, 12 months is nothing to wait and give it another go for ATC (Assuming that's what you are going for?).

Best regards.
Original post by 0902
Why not wait another 12 months and re-apply again? In that time, you can gain experiences and life skills etc. By all means apply to the RAF as an Airman and I doth my hat too you for doing so, however - if its not the role you want, 12 months is nothing to wait and give it another go for ATC (Assuming that's what you are going for?).

Best regards.

I wouldn't re-apply in twelve months because I'm pretty sure I would get the same answer in twelve months time. That's not meant to make me sound self-deprecating or anything like that but I would rather spend a few years learning valuable skills in the RAF and applying then, opposed to doing something else for twelve months, re-applying and being in the same position I am now in eighteen months time.

Plus, although I had done my research, being an ATC wasn't a lifelong ambition of mine it was just a role I had picked. I would be equally happy to do something else in the RAF to be honest. Thank you for the interest though! :biggrin:
Reply 25
What does leadership testing involve? As in the OASC?
I wouldn't re-apply in twelve months because I'm pretty sure I would get the same answer in twelve months time. That's not meant to make me sound self-deprecating or anything like that but I would rather spend a few years learning valuable skills in the RAF and applying then, opposed to doing something else for twelve months, re-applying and being in the same position I am now in eighteen months time.

Plus, although I had done my research, being an ATC wasn't a lifelong ambition of mine it was just a role I had picked. I would be equally happy to do something else in the RAF to be honest. Thank you for the interest though! :biggrin:

Good for you. Best of luck.
Original post by aidan9

Aidan9,

From what I've heard (not from personal experience) it's hangar exercises (getting from A - B using items in front on you etc) There's plenty of other posts in this forum reference OASC.

Regards.
Original post by aidan9

'0902' is right, the leadership tests are hangar exercises.

These are split into two segments, a leaderless exercise and five exercises in which each member of your syndicate will be asked to act as the leader (it was five exercises for members because there were five members of our syndicate).

I can go into more detail about the hanger exercises if you are interested but as '0902' pointed out, there are plenty of posts about them on this forum.
Reply 29
Oh okay thanks very much guys, also another thing I've been thinking about for some time now is how easy is it to get into University Air Squadrons, and how to improve my chances. All of the universities I am applying for have one which is a start :smile: thanks
Reply 30
Original post by aidan9

The other guys have covered it pretty well, it's essentially leadership excercises based in one of the hangers, for example getting from A-B without touching the floor etc. Group planning excercises and debates will also be included.

Sorry to hear about that! It all happens for a reason though, excuse the cliche. You have many years left to apply for NCO so I wouldn't worry about it. I'm doing the same as you, going for Weapons Tech and then reapplying for WSOp later on down the line! I just want to get my foot in the door, I believe it's far better to apply from already serving than from civvie street. There's no delay in applying for airmen, you could have applied the day you got home from Cranwell. I'd say there would be about a week delay from sending off your application to booking your AST test. Go for it buddy! all the best.
Reply 31
Has anyone ever heard of someone appealing..................and actually passing???? My daughter is about to start her appeal but we can never find anyone on here who has done so. Makes you wonder whether its worth the time and effort - but she has worked so hard for this for 6 years that fortunately she isnt going to stop trying until they tell her too!!!
Reply 32
Original post by JoCourt
Has anyone ever heard of someone appealing..................and actually passing???? My daughter is about to start her appeal but we can never find anyone on here who has done so. Makes you wonder whether its worth the time and effort - but she has worked so hard for this for 6 years that fortunately she isnt going to stop trying until they tell her too!!!

What's she appealing for? Depending on the type of appeal maybe I can give you some more insight...
What's she appealing for? Depending on the type of appeal maybe I can give you some more insight...

Lots of people have appealed and been successful, me being one of them. Depends what the reason for being made medically unfit is for.

Happy to help if needs be!
Hey everyone. Had my filter interview last week and unfortunately failed, due to a lack of evidence of leadership and "life" experience. I've been told to re apply in 6 months (will probably wait a year or so). So I'm wondering what I can do in the meantime to gain these leadership skills they're asking for? Also how long is CBAT valid for? :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by samuelking97
Hey everyone. Had my filter interview last week and unfortunately failed, due to a lack of evidence of leadership and "life" experience. I've been told to re apply in 6 months (will probably wait a year or so). So I'm wondering what I can do in the meantime to gain these leadership skills they're asking for? Also how long is CBAT valid for? :smile:

Hey Samuel, same thing happened to me. In 6 months there isn't a great deal you can do besides volunteer work, charity shops, events etc. You could join a local sports team or your local Air Cadet squadron. You probably DO have leadership skills which you don't see yourself as worthwhile but the RAF would appreciate. Prefect schemes, sports clubs, anything. Never use the word "just" and always sell yourself as the best you can do, be it captaining your local football club or simply leading your parents to a destination with a map, every little example helps.

CBAT is valid for 1 year only, All the best.
Hey Samuel, same thing happened to me. In 6 months there isn't a great deal you can do besides volunteer work, charity shops, events etc. You could join a local sports team or your local Air Cadet squadron. You probably DO have leadership skills which you don't see yourself as worthwhile but the RAF would appreciate. Prefect schemes, sports clubs, anything. Never use the word "just" and always sell yourself as the best you can do, be it captaining your local football club or simply leading your parents to a destination with a map, every little example helps.

CBAT is valid for 1 year only, All the best.

Ahh I thought CBAT was valid for longer than that 😩 Looks like I'll be waiting less than a year to re apply then! Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 37
Updating this, and incase anyone is interested, I have been successful this application and I head off to Basic Training on valentines day this year!
Reply 38
I urge anyone reading this not to be put off. All the selection process is, is patience. It's easy to get in & it's easy to pass basic, particularly these days
Reply 39
Original post by Jester01
I urge anyone reading this not to be put off. All the selection process is, is patience. It's easy to get in & it's easy to pass basic, particularly these days

I agree, this wasn't supposed to put people off. However, I wouldn't necessarily say that it was easy, as people(I for one) have been unsuccessful, but it's definitely possible for almost anyone to attain the levels of aptitude and fitness required, yes. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest