The Student Room Group

Core 3 Differentiation - Help

Hi

I'm having trouble with both these questions (in image) - could someone provide some help please?

Thank you!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475350182.259138.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Part A is a partial fractions question which doesn't require differentiation.
Factorise the denominator and then solve as a partial fraction. (Actually I think partial fractions is C4 for Edexcel...)
Reply 2
Original post by AlexS101
Part A is a partial fractions question which doesn't require differentiation.
Factorise the denominator and then solve as a partial fraction. (Actually I think partial fractions is C4 for Edexcel...)

Ohh no wonder! Thank you - I can still have a go at it. (It is in Core 4 but we covered it a little after our AS exams last yr)
For the second part sub in the answer to part a and consider what 1/(x-1) can also be written as to make the differentiation easier.
Original post by Yusufff
Ohh no wonder! Thank you - I can still have a go at it. (It is in Core 4 but we covered it a little after our AS exams last yr)

We also covered it after As exams (but in 2015) and that was why I wasn't 100% whether it was C4
Reply 5
Original post by AlexS101
We also covered it after As exams (but in 2015) and that was why I wasn't 100% whether it was C4

Managed to complete the Q thanks - I don't know why partial fractions is in a Core 3 exercise :/
Original post by Yusufff
Managed to complete the Q thanks - I don't know why partial fractions is in a Core 3 exercise :/

If its the same textbook as we used (and it looks like it could be... (joint textbook for C3 and C4 with a purple cover?)) its a generic textbook that has stuff for all of the exam boards and I think that partial fractions is in C3 for at least one exam board.
Reply 7
LOOOK OVER C4 PARTIAL FRACTIONS AND THEN FACTORISE AND THEN YOU GOTTA SUB VALUES OF X AND THEN SOVLE FOR THEM.(PS IM ****ED RN BUT MESSAGE ME IN THE MORING 4 INFO COS (x) ;D I can give it 2 u? eheheheheheheheheheh uni is li4e

Quick Reply