The Student Room Group

University application queries - Please help!

Hi,

I am interested in applying for these courses at the universities listed below, however have a few queries which I really need someone to answer before I submit my application. Any advice is good advice!

University of Warwick - French studies and Economics
University of Cardiff - French and Economics
University of Reading - French Studies and Economics
University of Coventry - French and Business
University of Royal Holloway - French with Economics

I am interested in applying this year, however I am a little concerned about what I do if I don't get offered certain universities. For example, at this moment I don't think Coventry or Royal Holloway are for me; what would I do if these were my only offers? My final query, I am considering taking a year out, however I am not sure yet and have been told to submit my application regardless. If I am offered a place at the university I want to go am I able to accept and defer at the same time? I would still want to go, however I haven't decided whether I should take a year out to earn some money!

Please get back to me when you can :smile:

Cheers,
Reply 1
Original post by Olmeister
Hi,

I am interested in applying for these courses at the universities listed below, however have a few queries which I really need someone to answer before I submit my application. Any advice is good advice!

I am interested in applying this year, however I am a little concerned about what I do if I don't get offered certain universities. For example, at this moment I don't think Coventry or Royal Holloway are for me; what would I do if these were my only offers? My final query, I am considering taking a year out, however I am not sure yet and have been told to submit my application regardless. If I am offered a place at the university I want to go am I able to accept and defer at the same time? I would still want to go, however I haven't decided whether I should take a year out to earn some money!

Cheers,

If you don't want to go there, don't apply. You're just wasting your choices.

You can ask a uni to defer but they don't have to agree. Most unis will if you have a good reason for deferring
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
If you don't want to go there, don't apply. You're just wasting your choices.

You can ask a uni to defer but they don't have to agree. Most unis will if you have a good reason for deferring

When I get all the offers back, if I get any, is it that I have to accept one? If I have offers, yet want to take a year out, what do I do if I want to put it back a year
Hi,

Cheers,

When you do submit your application, you'll have to tell them if you're taking a gap year and your reason and what you're planning to do during it if you didn't know.
Reply 4
When I get all the offers back, if I get any, is it that I have to accept one? If I have offers, yet want to take a year out, what do I do if I want to put it back a year

You dont have to accept anything. You can either reject them and take a year out, or contact the unis and ask to defer
Reply 5
Original post by Kiritsugu
When you do submit your application, you'll have to tell them if you're taking a gap year and your reason and what you're planning to do during it if you didn't know.

But what if I haven't decided that just yet? I really am unsure on whether I want to go this year or next, but was told to apply anyway... If I was to reject them all, take a year out, then reapply the following year would I be disadvantaged and would it be harder for me to get in?
But what if I haven't decided that just yet? I really am unsure on whether I want to go this year or next, but was told to apply anyway... If I was to reject them all, take a year out, then reapply the following year would I be disadvantaged and would it be harder for me to get in?

Sorry, I don't know. Tough decisions huh...
Reply 7
Most universities will let you defer your place on results day without penalty, if you decide to take a gap year. Apply this year.
Reply 8

I'm gonna explain this once more, since you're clearly still not getting it. If you can't understand the third time then give up as you're clearly not clever enough for uni.

You can apply as normal, and then ask unis if you can defer later. You are asking them so they can say no. Many unis will let you defer your offer and have a year out.
Reply 9
Original post by trythis
Most universities will let you defer your place on results day without penalty, if you decide to take a gap year. Apply this year.

If I have decided when I receive any unconditional offers is there an option to simply get my place held open until next year? Say I receive unconditional offers next year but have decided I want a year to earn some money, get other affairs in order, what's my process?
If I have decided when I receive any unconditional offers is there an option to simply get my place held open until next year? Say I receive unconditional offers next year but have decided I want a year to earn some money, get other affairs in order, what's my process?

I spoke to a couple of universities about this on their open days, though I can't speak for unconditional places.

They said it's okay to just call them up on results day and ask for your place to be deferred for a year.
Reply 11
If I have decided when I receive any unconditional offers is there an option to simply get my place held open until next year?

Unconditional offers? Have you completed your A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending