The Student Room Group

law

what are the best a levels for law?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leahmt
what are the best a levels for law?

Any

But they tend to prefer traditional academic subjects. There are no specific requiremenst so get the 3 best A levels you can.

Law gets no preference and some unis tend to prefer you dont do it.

At least one subject with essays i.e History and English Lit will teach you some useful skills.
Reply 2
im definitely taking biology and english lit but im struggling with the others
Most Universities don't specify A level subjects for Law - they just want very high grades. So pick the three subjects where you are most confident of high grades. If you can include at least one 'essay based subject' its a good idea - simply because this will develop your text/analysis/writing skills for Uni. History, Politics, Psychology, Sociology or Eng Lit are all sensible choices. But if its three sciences that will get you the right grades, do them.

Advice here in applying for Law : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Law_Degree
Reply 4
apparently most unis don't care if you do A level law :\ :\
Original post by sadixx

Why should they? They prefer undregrads learn it fresh. They are more or less neutral about it. If there was a preference then everyone would do it. Graduate law is much more in depth.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Why should they? They prefer undregrads learn it fresh. They are more or less neutral about it. If there was a preference then everyone would do it. Graduate law is much more in depth.

wish i knew that before i picked it ...
Original post by sadixx
wish i knew that before i picked it ...

It makes little difference tbh. I think when you study it it can give you a minor advantage in that you will be going over some familiar concepts.
Original post by sadixx

2 reasons : 1) A level Law is on a totally different level to a professional Law training and covers different areas - so it isn't a 'necessary preparation', 2) not all schools offer A level Law, so to insist on it would be totally unfair.

PS. Why do you wish you hadn't done A level Law? Because its boring? Because you are not enjoying the reading? If these are the reasons then you really do need to think about doing something else at Uni ....Maybe look at Social Policy, Politics, Criminology etc as alternatives or as a joint subject degree. Here is just one example from Swansea : http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/law/bsccriminologysocialpolicy/
Reply 9
Original post by returnmigrant
2 reasons : 1) A level Law is on a totally different level to a professional Law training and covers different areas - so it isn't a 'necessary preparation', 2) not all schools offer A level Law, so to insist on it would be totally unfair.

PS. Why do you wish you hadn't done A level Law? Because its boring? Because you are not enjoying the reading? If these are the reasons then you really do need to think about doing something else at Uni ....Maybe look at Social Policy, Politics, Criminology etc as alternatives or as a joint subject degree. Here is just one example from Swansea : http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/law/bsccriminologysocialpolicy/

i'm not even doing law at uni
Original post by sadixx
i'm not even doing law at uni

My post doesnt suggest that you are - just wondering why you wish you hadnt done A level Law?
Reply 11
My post doesnt suggest that you are - just wondering why you wish you hadnt done A level Law?

'then you really need to suggest doing something else at uni' .........
and i wish i didn't do a level law because it's not really seen as a good a level
[QUOTE=sadixx;67852452 i wish i didn't do a level law because it's not really seen as a good a level

By whom?

What do you want to do at Uni, and what are your other A level subjects?

(I'm an Admissions Tutor - I'm happy to give advice/help if that could help you.)
Original post by sadixx
'then you really need to suggest doing something else at uni' .........
and i wish i didn't do a level law because it's not really seen as a good a level

Nope its a perfecty ok A level. The question was in respect of doing it before an LLB.
Reply 14
By whom?

What do you want to do at Uni, and what are your other A level subjects?

(I'm an Admissions Tutor - I'm happy to give advice/help if that could help you.)

psychology and my other subjects are psychology and religious studies
Original post by sadixx
psychology and my other subjects are psychology and religious studies

Then Law as a third subject is fine. Actually its fine as 'a subject' as its literate and essay based. Anyone with decent grades in those 3 subjects will not be disadvantaged applying for Psychology. Where are you thinking of applying?

PS. The subjects that are considered 'weak' at A level are 'non-academic' subjects like Dance Studies, PE, and Accountancy etc. Law certainly isn't thought of as 'non-academic'!
Reply 16
Then Law as a third subject is fine. Actually its fine as 'a subject' as its literate and essay based. Anyone with decent grades in those 3 subjects will not be disadvantaged applying for Psychology. Where are you thinking of applying?

PS. The subjects that are considered 'weak' at A level are 'non-academic' subjects like Dance Studies, PE, and Accountancy etc. Law certainly isn't thought of as 'non-academic'!

i'm applying to durham
Reply 17
Maybe Religious Studies? I'm doing that at the moment and did History and English lit too at AS and even though it's a written subject and respected, it isn't as difficult as the others. I got an A and it's interesting too
Original post by sadixx
i'm applying to durham

Just Durham....?
Reply 19
Just Durham....?

leeds birmingham and not sure where else

Quick Reply

Latest