The Student Room Group

My current sixth form dilemma

Politics is a passion of mine. I spend pretty much all of my free time geeking out over the presidential race or looking up old world leaders and the like. I think that if i did an A-level in this subject i'd achieve really well since it's something that i'm so fascinated by. If i did it i would certianly find it easier than my other subjects, maybe even to the extent that i'd get an A*. I'd have to move schools if i wanted to do this because my school doesn't offer it.

This would make a lot of sense; moving schools so that i could get better grades and open up my choices for uni, but the thing is, i really don't want to leave. I've got a lot of friends at that school and i tried doing the thing where you compare pros and cons and ended up being heavily biased. When i ended up deciding to leave i started crying almost immediatly. On an emotional level i obviously wanna stay. But i don't know. Is it worth it?

Edit: I'm in year 12. I'm a month into my course and i'm considering moving schools. Just to clarify
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm guessing that you are currently in year 11?
If so ask yourself;
what subjects would you do if you stayed at your current school? What are the teachers like who teach those subjects?
Where would you go if you did leave and study politics? Do you know anyone who goes there or will go there?
Does the other place have an open day? If so attend it as there is absolutely no commitment required
How long would it take to get to the new place in comparison to the old? and how much would it cost?
How do the places compare in terms of study areas? Computer access?
Reply 2
Original post by an_atheist
The decision to move or not is an interesting one. I've done it, and my grades and prospects seem to have improved (my GCSEs were slightly above average (4A*, 4A, 3B)) but I'm still a Cambridge applicant, which I don't think I would have managed if I hadn't moved school.
It sounds like politics is your passion. Above all else, you should be true to yourself. If you really want to study Politics, then moving schools sounds like your best options. Friends can be replaced, it hurts but is doable. I had to weigh up a potential relationship (I seriously want to have some experience here before uni) and my educational prospects. the first month is the hardest by far, imo,
Can I ask, are you in Year 11 or 12 now?

Year 12. I went to an induction type thing for two days last week that they set up especially for me. I have until monday to decide since thats when the october census happens which is basically where all the students are counted and the whichever school i go to gets the money for me.
Reply 3
why did an_atheist remove his comment i wonder?
Original post by MadWolf
Politics is a passion of mine. I spend pretty much all of my free time geeking out over the presidential race or looking up old world leaders and the like. I think that if i did an A-level in this subject i'd achieve really well since it's something that i'm so fascinated by. If i did it i would certianly find it easier than my other subjects, maybe even to the extent that i'd get an A*. I'd have to move schools if i wanted to do this because my school doesn't offer it.

This would make a lot of sense; moving schools so that i could get better grades and open up my choices for uni, but the thing is, i really don't want to leave. I've got a lot of friends at that school and i tried doing the thing where you compare pros and cons and ended up being heavily biased. When i ended up deciding to leave i started crying almost immediatly. On an emotional level i obviously wanna stay. But i don't know. Is it worth it?

Edit: I'm in year 12. I'm a month into my course and i'm considering moving schools. Just to clarify

Hey there,

I was in a very similar position a few weeks ago as i want to study maths at cambridge so was considering going back to my old school despite being in a highly selective school as i thought it wouldn't help me with my goals and I didn't think the maths teachin was adequate enough. The problem is I had made some friends there and the people we generally a lot nicer than my old schools' and I really enjoyed the community. It was a tough decision but ultimately I left as I thought I should do what is best for my education and even now I still feel sad for leaving but with every decision there is always a trade-off. I recommend that you speak to your head of sixth form or someone at school about your situation and seek out any advice that may allow you to stay put otherwise I think it might be in your best interest to make the switch and possibly return if you really hate it at the new place.

Good-luck with whatever you decide!
There's no need to decide to move just because you are interested in politics. The 2 years you will spend in your current school will pass very quickly and if you are still interested in politics you can study it at Uni. or study something else and still be active in the political sphere.

Can you take History, Geography, Economics etc. at your current school? They will prepare you well for a Politics degree or a political career. To develop your interest in Politics join a Political Party. That experience will be invaluable when you go to Uni and will prepare you for well for the academic and practical study of the subject. If you want to take an active part in Politics now you will learn a lot about organisation, speaking to people, the art of persuasion etc. There's nothing like a bit of down to earth experience for clarifying your thoughts.
pickup is right, you don't necessarily have to do a politics subject just to become a politician-related something. For example, some people who study Law, often don't even do Law A-level. Furthermore, your interests might change and you probably don't want to be too keen on a particular path, notice I say "too" keen, in the extreme sense.
Reply 7
Original post by Kiritsugu
pickup is right, you don't necessarily have to do a politics subject just to become a politician-related something. For example, some people who study Law, often don't even do Law A-level. Furthermore, your interests might change and you probably don't want to be too keen on a particular path, notice I say "too" keen, in the extreme sense.

True. But isn't it more important to have good A-levels even if they are non-related. For example, say having politics, economics and history A-levels and then deciding to do a degree in medicine. As long as you have the grades you can always just do a foundation year. If i decided to move schools and got better grades, more options would be open to me surely.

Don't take this as me making my mind up for sure, it's just i want to see a good counter argument.
Original post by MadWolf
True. But isn't it more important to have good A-levels even if they are non-related. For example, say having politics, economics and history A-levels and then deciding to do a degree in medicine. As long as you have the grades you can always just do a foundation year. If i decided to move schools and got better grades, more options would be open to me surely.

Don't take this as me making my mind up for sure, it's just i want to see a good counter argument.

I'm happy you want a good counter-argument - I'll see if i can satisfy you...

True it's good having good grades, but you're talking about a politics-related career, if so, then one wouldn't simply choose media studies, general studies, and paint technology and then aim for medicine or some totally unrelated thing because that would be pointless.

You've already told us you're very interested in politics, so it's worth doing subjects that could help you down that path.

I think a good question is "is it really necessary to study governmetn and politics to do politics"?
Reply 9
I'm happy you want a good counter-argument - I'll see if i can satisfy you...

True it's good having good grades, but you're talking about a politics-related career, if so, then one wouldn't simply choose media studies, general studies, and paint technology and then aim for medicine or some totally unrelated thing because that would be pointless.

You've already told us you're very interested in politics, so it's worth doing subjects that could help you down that path.

I think a good question is "is it really necessary to study governmetn and politics to do politics"?

Well thats the thing. It's not necessary as such. I just think i'd do better at it than, say, the subjects i'm doing now (history, english lit, economics and media). That way i'd have more options when it comes to choosing unis if i had the better grade in politics.

I dunno though. To be honest i just really want a good reason to stay at the school.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MadWolf
Well thats the thing. It's not necessary as such. I just think i'd do better at it than, say, the subjects i'm doing now (history, english lit, economics and media). That way i'd have more options when it comes to choosing unis if i had the better grade in politics.

Well if you think you're not doing as well in those subjects, one very good grade is still not going to be that impressive for example... A*BB vs AAA (might depend on circumstances, but still).

Plus how do you know that you'll do that well in politics? Obviously I know we can't know for sure, but have you been in that other school or whatever before? Have you checked it's reputation and other details about the area and school? What if you don't like it there?

If you have real friends right now, couldn't you still keep in contact with them? Or have you already weighed these factors?
Reply 11
Well if you think you're not doing as well in those subjects, one very good grade is still not going to be that impressive for example... A*BB vs AAA (might depend on circumstances, but still).

Plus how do you know that you'll do that well in politics? Obviously I know we can't know for sure, but have you been in that other school or whatever before? Have you checked it's reputation and other details about the area and school? What if you don't like it there?

If you have real friends right now, couldn't you still keep in contact with them? Or have you already weighed these factors?

I went to the school for two days (last tuesday and wednesday) when i started thinking about this. It seems good i guess (It's a grammar btw) though not necessarily any better than my school.

I really dont know how well i'd do at A-level. I got 6As and 5Bs for GCSE if thats anything to go on. I'd like to do as well as possible.

I don't think i'm bad academically by any means, just really not sure how i'd do.

I suppose i could keep in contact with my friends, though i'd probably see them a lot less.
Original post by MadWolf
I went to the school for two days (last tuesday and wednesday) when i started thinking about this. It seems good i guess (It's a grammar btw) though not necessarily any better than my school.

I really dont know how well i'd do at A-level. I got 6As and 5Bs for GCSE if thats anything to go on. I'd like to do as well as possible.

I don't think i'm bad academically by any means, just really not sure how i'd do.

I suppose i could keep in contact with my friends, though i'd probably see them a lot less.

Hmm... I can see what you're saying about keeping your options open. Getting the grade in the subject you really love - well you should probably switch. This is about your future. This is something you probably should do because in the end it's your education and one of the presidents once said when asked to state the three most important changes they're gonna make in 3 words...

"Education, Education, Education".

I'm sure you know who that was. I say, do your damn best at A-level and try your hardest not just at politics but other subjects too, and other opportunities.

Your friends will miss you too, and don't worry you'll make new friends!

Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 13
Hmm... I can see what you're saying about keeping your options open. Getting the grade in the subject you really love - well you should probably switch. This is about your future. This is something you probably should do because in the end it's your education and one of the presidents once said when asked to state the three most important changes they're gonna make in 3 words...

"Education, Education, Education".

I'm sure you know who that was. I say, do your damn best at A-level and try your hardest not just at politics but other subjects too, and other opportunities.

Your friends will miss you too, and don't worry you'll make new friends!

Good Luck! :smile:

Thanks a lot! :smile::smile:

Its just a shame i can't really justify staying you know. It'd be fun to spend another two years with that lot. I suppose i could always drop media or something and do a politics A-level in my free time over the internet on open college. That's the only real way of staying i think.
Original post by MadWolf
Thanks a lot! :smile::smile:

Its just a shame i can't really justify staying you know. It'd be fun to spend another two years with that lot. I suppose i could always drop media or something and do a politics A-level in my free time over the internet on open college. That's the only real way of staying i think.

Well it sounds like you've thought this through with your other idea :smile:
Original post by MadWolf
why did an_atheist remove his comment i wonder?

I removed it because on reading back I spent more time talking about myself than giving you advice. I have been through a similar situation, as I detailed, but talking about it at that length just makes me sound self centred (that was the impression it gave me)
Reply 16
Original post by an_atheist
I removed it because on reading back I spent more time talking about myself than giving you advice. I have been through a similar situation, as I detailed, but talking about it at that length just makes me sound self centred (that was the impression it gave me)

No not at all. I found it pretty helpful. It doesn't make you self centred to use yourself as an example. It's pretty useful to be talking to someone with personal experience of what i'm going through. :smile:
Original post by MadWolf
No not at all. I found it pretty helpful. It doesn't make you self centred to use yourself as an example. It's pretty useful to be talking to someone with personal experience of what i'm going through. :smile:

Thanks for this.

Back to the advice, Try to keep in contact with as many of your old friends as possible, if you do decide to leave. Moving might make the transfer to uni easier, because you will have fewer attachments to break (something my parents have told me several times).
Reply 18
Well it sounds like you've thought this through with your other idea :smile:

Hey. Its been a while since i started this thread. I decided to move but i can still go back on my decision. I have to decide by friday.

Care for a chat?
Original post by MadWolf
Hey. Its been a while since i started this thread. I decided to move but i can still go back on my decision. I have to decide by friday.

Care for a chat?

Of course. Feel free to chat anytime.

Quick Reply

Latest