The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Korean Studies Personal Statement

I'm applying for Korean studies starting in 2017, so I'm currently writing my personal statement but I was wondering if any past students or applicants had any tips or specific things they put on their personal statement. I feel under prepared and doubtful my experiences and qualifications are relevant so please help me out ^^ Also anyone who is also applying for Korean studies it would be great to share some ideas.
It's a bit tricky because my other options include Leeds and Manchester doing Asia Pacific studies so it is relevant to include things other Asian countries?
I don't work in admissions so I honestly couldn't tell you what they want from you or what they prefer to read in personal statements. All I can really say is what I did and that was just be honest;
Why do you want to learn the language? or culture?
What started your interest?
How have you pursued it since? What have you already learnt? Have you visited Korea?
Why do you want to attend Sheffield?
What qualifications and experiences do you currently have? Can you link them back to your studies? Even just loosely like proving your determination for a subject you're passionate about.

Other than that, all I can say is to use a lot of positive language, be confident, and good luck.

EDIT: And if you need it to work for the other things you're applying for too, you're just going to have to paint it with a broader brush so it's less specific but still relevant.
(edited 7 years ago)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Thanks very much for replying! I'm applying for East Asian courses in other un is so I have to spread it out to include China and Japan but it's all relevant
I applied for Korean last year at Sheffield and got my secure place for 2017 so feel free to ask me anything!
Original post by bellalalaxo
I applied for Korean last year at Sheffield and got my secure place for 2017 so feel free to ask me anything!

I have got a some questions actually, did you have to go for an interview? And was there a lot of people applying/that didn't get places because I heard it's getting more competitive? ^^
Original post by TheHungryStudent
I have got a some questions actually, did you have to go for an interview? And was there a lot of people applying/that didn't get places because I heard it's getting more competitive? ^^

Hi there! A few of my friends are currently doing Korean studies so I hope I'll be able to help you out. Yes you're right it is becoming more competitive but really not by much. For example if you look at East Asian studies at Oxbridge, the chances you'll get in there (assuming you hae the grades) are 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 which are pretty good odds. So therefore in other unis it'll probably be about the same or maybe less
Original post by TheHungryStudent

Hi! There was no interview and I wouldn't say more competitive but definitely more popular. The university has no cap on places so if they like you and give you an offer then you're fine. I only knew of one person who didnt get an offer but they had gotten a U at AS. There were 54 of us this year and they're actually hiring more staff so don't worry about not getting a place even with the right grades. :smile: EDIT: I should mention that they said around 100 people applied last yea but please remember that some of those didnt even firm Sheffield or accept the offer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi, can you help me with purpose for personal statement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending