The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nikhilpatel
I am applying to Queens with:
10a* GCSE
4A (Maths, FM, Physics, Econ)
4A* Prediciton.

Will by 94.4% UMS average be enough (not quite 95!)

Could I ask if those UMS (besides maths) are self-calculated based on the notional grade boundaries?
How is everyone preparing for the Problem-solving questions for the ECAA other than the practice paper provided?
Original post by AstroFonic
How is everyone preparing for the Problem-solving questions for the ECAA other than the practice paper provided?

How did you do? I am confused if what they say about typical applicants getting half the marks is true..
Original post by arandomguyonline
How did you do? I am confused if what they say about typical applicants getting half the marks is true..

i haven't done it yet, its in November for everyone isn't it?
Reply 2624

Yh, November 2nd. How are you preparing though? I have only found the specimen paper... Practically going in blind as of right now.
Original post by JK11
Yh, November 2nd. How are you preparing though? I have only found the specimen paper... Practically going in blind as of right now.

Just revise the stuff on the spec.
Original post by JK11

Using other sources as practice for the problem solving questions, maths questions im just revising what the spec says and for the essay im reading around my subject and past/present articles of The Economist/ financial times.

anybody got any other ideas?
Reply 2627
Original post by jamestg
Just revise the stuff on the spec.

The spec is far too basic to be helpful.
Reply 2628
Using other sources as practice for the problem solving questions, maths questions im just revising what the spec says and for the essay im reading around my subject and past/present articles of The Economist/ financial times.

anybody got any other ideas?

Yh I am trying to find advanced short math questions.
Reading articles would be helpful for the essay questions.
Original post by JK11
The spec is far too basic to be helpful.

Not really. You need to know how to do all of the maths they require, which is fairly explicit on the spec. You need to be able to do the essay, which requires no economic knowledge (although if you do economics at A-level, they might be concerned to not see anything), and the more 'logical' questions which you can practice with TSA papers.

In short:
Do some maths
Do some essays
Do some TSA papers

In reality though, you shouldn't even need to practice or prep for it. Except for the maths section, it's not testing your knowledge but the way you think, process and articulate. Whether that's on a logical question or the essay. The only real reason to practice would be to get used to the timings and format. Essentially, it's an aptitude test.

No i was referring to the specimen paper (i thought you tried it).
Original post by arandomguyonline
No i was referring to the specimen paper (i thought you tried it).

oh i havent tried it yet,
Reply 2632
Original post by jamestg
Not really. You need to know how to do all of the maths they require, which is fairly explicit on the spec. You need to be able to do the essay, which requires no economic knowledge (although if you do economics at A-level, they might be concerned to not see anything), and the more 'logical' questions which you can practice with TSA papers.

In short:
Do some maths
Do some essays
Do some TSA papers

In reality though, you shouldn't even need to practice or prep for it. Except for the maths section, it's not testing your knowledge but the way you think, process and articulate. Whether that's on a logical question or the essay. The only real reason to practice would be to get used to the timings and format. Essentially, it's an aptitude test.

Yes it's explicit but it's just the core maths spec. Doesn't really differentiate between the two when in reality there is a difference.

TSA papers are a great idea thank you.
Can't do much for the essay as its an unknown topic but still I will practice to make sure I am fast and have good structure.

Appreciate the help.
The whole point is that you can't 'prepare' for it like normal A level papers etc it's designed to weed out the stronger candidates.
I'm applying to Pembroke with:

GCSEs - 10 A*s
AS Level - Economics (A and 100% UMS), Chemistry (A and 96% UMS), Chinese (B and 79% UMS)
Also took my Maths A Level a year early because I'm doing Further Maths and got an A* with 93% UMS

Haven't properly started ECAA prep because I'm also applying to American Unis so I've been busy with ACT and SAT II Prep! Looked over some of the questions though and they seem tough...

Do you think the fact I got a B will disadvantage me?? I was one mark off an A so super bummed lol
Applying to Pembroke too with IB 43, HL 777. Worried about ECAA too, the essay part is quite difficult and there is only one specimen paper online...is there any other way to practise writing the essay?
(edited 7 years ago)
GCSEs: 10A* 1A
AS & A level: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry (all A's in AS, predicted A*A*AA*)

College: St. John's, Pembroke, Caius or St. Catharine's

^ Im having a hard time deciding which college to pick! St. John's feels like the clear winner to me, followed by the others which are equally lovely. But the looking at the application statistics feels so overwhelming that I'm having doubts about choosing St. John's ://
I know people always say to follow my own preference but does anyone have any opinions on these college choices?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Soulgeass
GCSEs: 10A* 1A
AS & A level: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry (all A's in AS, predicted A*A*AA*)

College: St. John's, Pembroke, Caius or St. Catharine's

^ Im having a hard time deciding which college to pick! St. John's feels like the clear winner to me, followed by the others which are equally lovely. But the looking at the application statistics feels so overwhelming that I'm having doubts about choosing St. John's ://
I know people always say to follow my own preference but does anyone have any opinions on these college choices?

I would go with your gut, with a strong application like that, if you don't make it to St John's you could get pooled anyway. I doubt it will damage your chances applying somewhere where it appears more competitive as the statistics change each year and you can never be certain.
Ahh the dilemma is real! When I look deeper into this, I feel that St. John's appeals to me because of its facilities and accommodation. At the same time, I think I might prefer a smaller college because it does not give so much of a 'school' atmosphere where there's too many students who hang out in their separate groups. X<

About the pooling system, am I right to think that if you get pooled and another college may be interested in you, you are required to go for another interview with that college?
Original post by Soulgeass
Ahh the dilemma is real! When I look deeper into this, I feel that St. John's appeals to me because of its facilities and accommodation. At the same time, I think I might prefer a smaller college because it does not give so much of a 'school' atmosphere where there's too many students who hang out in their separate groups. X<

About the pooling system, am I right to think that if you get pooled and another college may be interested in you, you are required to go for another interview with that college?

yes I think that's how it works, sometimes they require you to stay for a weekend and be interviewed by multiple places who have spaces left for good students!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending