The Student Room Group

Ahhh! Who do I trust?!?

Right, so I'm taking the new 9-1 AQA GCSE Geography specification, but I'm really confused on the content I'm supposed to learn. I have four different sources of information, however, they all seem to be misleading! Let's use the topic of composite and shield volcanoes as an example. My Geography teacher was teaching us about composite and shield volcanoes, but then I looked at the specification and it wasn't on there! However, it was on the old specification, so I thought she was just teaching the old specification because that's what she knew best. Then there's my Geography study book (which has been approved by AQA might I add), which gives information about composite and shield volcanoes, however, my CGP revision guide has nothing about them. This isn't the only topic like this, I was just giving an example. So, who do I trust? My teacher and my AQA approved study book, or the AQA specification and the CGP revision guide? Please help!
Original post by Harrykel
Right, so I'm taking the new 9-1 AQA GCSE Geography specification, but I'm really confused on the content I'm supposed to learn. I have four different sources of information, however, they all seem to be misleading! Let's use the topic of composite and shield volcanoes as an example. My Geography teacher was teaching us about composite and shield volcanoes, but then I looked at the specification and it wasn't on there! However, it was on the old specification, so I thought she was just teaching the old specification because that's what she knew best. Then there's my Geography study book (which has been approved by AQA might I add), which gives information about composite and shield volcanoes, however, my CGP revision guide has nothing about them. This isn't the only topic like this, I was just giving an example. So, who do I trust? My teacher and my AQA approved study book, or the AQA specification and the CGP revision guide? Please help!

Seek clarification from your head of department.

At the same time contact AQA and get them to ive some uidance on your situation.
double post
(edited 7 years ago)
you might have the wrong revision guide, you could have bought the A* to G revision guide. Trust your teachers and the AQA approved study book.
Reply 4
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
you might have the wrong revision guide, you could have bought the A* to G revision guide. Trust your teachers and the AQA approved study book.

I definitely haven't, it clearly states it is the 9-1 guide on the front. D:
Edit: It also matches with the structure of the new course, so it's not a printing error or something
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
double post

I'll see if I can e-mail AQA or something. Thanks! :smile:
I definitely haven't, it clearly states it is the 9-1 guide on the front. D:
Edit: It also matches with the structure of the new course, so it's not a printing error or something

tell your head of geography, and use the revision guide.
I'll see if I can e-mail AQA or something. Thanks! :smile:

If Aqa disagrees with what your teacher says I would trust AQA. Its their exam. They will know the syllabus and have contact with the person who sets the exams. Be careful how you talk to your teachers, so raise the issue but dont suggest they dont know what they are doing etc. Just seek their view and whether they are sure. If toy arent happy contact AQA anyway. Best to clear it up quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest